Doctor Sleep (The Shining Sequel) (Post-release)

What did you think of Doctor Sleep?

• It was disappointing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I enjoyed the movie overall, but... I could have SWORN the Overlook was blown up in the original book/movie! Bugged the HELL out of me.

I enjoyed the movie overall, but... I could have SWORN the Overlook was blown up in the original book/movie! Bugged the HELL out of me.

It was blown up in the book. Not in the movie, though, and Doctor Sleep the movie is a sequel to The Shining the movie, adapted from Doctor Sleep the book, which was a sequel to The Shining the book. Make sense?

It was blown up in the book. Not in the movie, though, and Doctor Sleep the movie is a sequel to The Shining the movie, adapted from Doctor Sleep the book, which was a sequel to The Shining the book. Make sense?
I think that's what's throwing me. It was blown up in the book and in the miniseries they did, so I think it mucked up my memory of the original. Time for a repeat viewing, clearly!

That's actually one of the things that i really liked about how Mike Flannagan made Doctor Sleep. One of the largest criticisms that Stephen King voiced about Kubrick's film was the changed ending. So--in his infinite desire to serve both the book and the Kubrick film--Flannagan corrected that change by having Dan perform the task that his father did in the book... closing the circle.

as a happy coincidence, witness how I'm dressed at work today:
uVENzIi.jpg

I literally watched it last Sunday for the first time and was shocked how well made it was and how much I enjoyed it. Rebecca Ferguson was great even if she was kinda hammy at the end. That hat was a brilliant choice. I haven't read the book but read Shining at least 4 times and also like the Kubrick movie, this film pulled off the impossible by being a proper sequel to both.

^Agreed! I absolutely loved it. And agree 100% on Rebecca Ferguson...she really brought Rose to life for me. I know i shouldn't be so fascinated with someone so evil... but I can't help it. The character is so intriguing... and that's owing in large part to her performance!

I bought the digital bundle when it came out with both films in 4K & the DS Director's Cut. Absolutely LOVED both films back to back, but as much as I want to, I just can't put myself through the 'Baseball Boy' scenes again. I keep my 3 year old grandson everyday, & I'll be completely honest...I couldn't so much as LOOK at him for a couple of days without tearing up a bit.

Going into the BTS stuff & hearing how awesome the kid was in filming the scene, & how much he destroyed the adults emotionally on the first take was pretty awesome. Flannigan said when he called cut, the adults had to take a moment, but the boy jumped up, high fiving his dad.

It was everything it was supposed to be, from making you despise the True Knot, making you emotionally invested into their painful demise, giving you an understanding to the importance of Abra escaping, & simply some masterful acting, but for me, it's gonna have to be a one & done.

If you guys haven't seen the Director's Cut of the film, I definitely recommend it. The theatrical cut had to trim down a lot to fit the runtime needed for viewing at the theater. But the Director's Cut is pretty impressive and fills in a lot of gaps.

If you guys haven't seen the Director's Cut of the film, I definitely recommend it. The theatrical cut had to trim down a lot to fit the runtime needed for viewing at the theater. But the Director's Cut is pretty impressive and fills in a lot of gaps.
The Director's Cut is the only version I've seen. Good to know that's the best version.

Initially I was hesitant at ordering the bluray as most of them are the extended/director's cut and there's very few extended cuts that work for me. I saw the theatrical cut of Doctor Sleep and thought it worked perfectly fine but lot of people kept praising the DC so I'll prob get the bluray version, see how it goes.

I do remember when we got the Blu ray and watched it that it was dawning on me slowly that there were added things, but they weren't at all jarring, and flowed very well with what i'd remembered from the theatre.

And anyway i love this film so much that i was more than happy to have more of it. :)

Bummer my girl had to die, though. :p

How many knew that Selena Anduze, who played April Annie in the film, is the wife of Yano Anaya aka... Grover Dill, the bully in A Christmas Story?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back