Doctor Sleep (The Shining Sequel) (Post-release)

What did you think of Doctor Sleep?

• It was disappointing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think it's interesting they are even using the footage from the original film considering Stephen King, isn't big on the Kubrick film.

I read the book when it first released. It was enjoyable but I don't remember it having that much of an impact on me. Maybe it's time for another read through before the movie comes out. It looks like they're staying pretty faithful to the novel though. Some of the shots are almost identical to what I pictured in my head while reading.

The miniseries is definitely much closer to the book and has better characterisations I think, but for me the movie has much better production design and atmosphere (although the room 217 scene with Danny in the tv series is terrifying). I wonder how they're going to reconcile the differences between the Kubrick movie and the book for the sequel.

Just got back from seeing it. Amazing stuff! Very well acted, and a decent villain. It is incredibly shot and doesn't rely too heavily on fan service, though there are plenty of incredible call backs! It manages to be its own thing as well as honouring the Kubrick classic. Other than a couple of niggles, this is one of the best movies I've seen this year. 8.5/10.

I enjoyed it over all, they cut out quite a bit and obviously had to make it mesh with the Kubrick film which was the biggest drawback it had. I think a straight adaptation of the book would have been preferable to me, but I understand way more people have seen the film than have read the novel.

I am not sure how I feel about the film yet... I still want to process it, but I will say that I was shocked by Henry Thomas playing Jack Nicholson’s character.

I liked it, but never read the books. My wife was mad, but is a fan of the books (though she isn't against the movie as being good, just against it being wrong). And honestly, after she described some of the things in the second book, I agreed that there was no reasons to change certain things, while keeping in all the recognizable things from the first movie that people know so well.

I watched it a few days ago, and I have to admit, I thought it was enjoyable. But, there's something that didn't feel right about the scenes at the Overlook Hotel in modern-day (maybe it's just me, but honestly, I had more of a reaction to The Shining Challenge scene in Ready Player One than I did for the final act at the Overlook in this film). But I do commend the filmmakers to bring a story to the screen that is a followup to both King's book and Kubrick's adaptation. Seeing the Overlook again was definitely nice. I certainly would recommend it to check it out.

Shine on, Dan Torrence. Shine on.

My daughter is a horror fan and follows all the trendy 'slash and dash' films.
I decided to broaden her horizons and show her some movies which had horror elements, but by superb direction, attention to detail, intense cinematography and great casting they rise above the standards and define a new trend.
The first film was the original 'Alien' by Ridley Scott
The second was Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining'
Ont thing that really grabbed her about 'The Shining' was how the camera really put you into the film. This was a restotred edition which was framed as he originally filmed it- it was designed and composed entirely for the 1.85:1 ratio, cropping it to a wide screen format loses a lot of the impact. Another thing which ready got her attention was the sound design- instead of just making the movie sound good, the sound in the film almost became another character (the big wheel driving alternately over carpet, then hardwood was really well done). The sound was also something she noticed in 'Alien'.
Afterwards I showed her the 'Ready Player One' version and it was amazing how well they duplicated the Overlook- it even had the same feel as Kubrick's film.
I look forward to watching 'Dr. Sleep', although it will not be in the theater- that is a far too expensive these days unless it is a film (like Star Wars or Armageddon) which really demand a big screen viewing.

Last edited:
But, there's something that didn't feel right about the scenes at the Overlook Hotel in modern-day (maybe it's just me, but honestly, I had more of a reaction to The Shining Challenge scene in Ready Player One than I did for the final act at the Overlook in this film).

I agree, and for me what robs it of its power how casually Dan decides to take the fight there. At that point in the story, they've regained the upper hand and have no particular reason to assume Rosie the Hat would be more of a challenge than the rest of the Knot – in every encounter, Abra singlehandedly curbstomped her, and she doesn't even know Dan exists. We needed to feel that there was desperation behind his choice to return to the site of the worst experience of his life and there isn't, just an explanation that he assumes she'll be too powerful (which, again, it's been demonstrated she isn't). If the main character doesn't act afraid of the Overlook, then why should we be?

(The more I think about it, the more I think that returning to the Overlook shouldn't have been Danny's idea at all. He should have been maneuvered into going there some other way.)

That said, that was the only major misstep in the movie, in my opinion. I enjoyed it a lot, much more than I was expecting to, and it's was nice to see a couple of decent people meting out justice against some real monsters. Maybe it's not effective horror, but it was a good thriller and I liked it. I just think I might have loved it if they'd handled the third act better.

Last edited:
I agree, and for me what robs it of its power how casually Dan decides to take the fight there. At that point in the story, they've regained the upper hand and have no particular reason to assume Rosie the Hat would be more of a challenge than the rest of the Knot – in every encounter, Abra singlehandedly curbstomped her, and she doesn't even know Dan exists. We needed to feel that there was desperation behind his choice to return to the site of the worst experience of his life and there isn't, just an explanation that he assumes she'll be too powerful (which, again, it's been demonstrated she isn't). If the main character doesn't act afraid of the Overlook, then why should we be?

(The more I think about it, the more I think that returning to the Overlook shouldn't have been Danny's idea at all. He should have been maneuvered into going there some other way.)

That said, that was the only major misstep in the movie, in my opinion. I enjoyed it a lot, much more than I was expecting to, and it's was nice to see a couple of decent people meting out justice against some real monsters. Maybe it's not effective horror, but it was a good thriller and I liked it. I just think I might have loved it if they'd handled the third act better.
While Abra may have been able to own Rose telepathically each time, these were just encounters of the mind. Also Abra is guilty of being a bit too sure of herself; a bit too confident in her own ability...as many children are. Dan, however is much older and wiser in this respect. After being exposed to rose's capabilities, he tells Abra the very reason why he intends to take the fight to the Overlook: "I don't think that we will be able to beat her alone." He feels the only way to override her will be with the help of the ghosts he's trapped in his mind, and the energy of the Overlook. He hopes that they will consume Rose, as she consumes others. Since neither Abra nor Dan have this ability to consume their foe, he feels they will need something that CAN to do it for them. made perfect sense to me, and Abra booting Rose from her mind aside, i definitely felt the urgency for them to find a place where they had the advantage to face off with her... particularly after Rose downed every drop of steam she had stored up to power up for her vengeance quest.

I don't think that i can agree at all that it was demonstrated that Rose isn't too powerful for them. it took eliminating the entire True Knot, luring Rose to the Overlook, injuring her and continually distracting her for them to even come close to tricking her into a box, and when she figured out what they were doing, she blew it all away in an instant. She is far from underpowered against Abra and Dan.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back