Doctor Doom, Books of Doom style (now with a hand!)

Continuing to work up the arm!

The elbow and gauntlet are painted. Forearm and bicep are getting painted tonight. I still need to pull the shoulder and make the knuckles for the glove.

I am jealous. If I didn't have so many projects on my plate at the moment, I would build in tandem with you.

Keep up the great work, and looking forward to watching this to completion!

Thanks!

I've got the upper arm pieces pulled / trimmed / painted. I'm sort of torn on detailing: I want an old school, classic comic look, but at the same time they are a bit plain right now. I sort of want to kick them up a notch... put some rivets/borders/etc... I'll get it all built as-is first though and detail it later.

There's the first prototype of my "magic hands" light kit...

That's taken in a brightly lit room with an iphone... and is exactly the result I had hoped for. I might make a slightly larger ring with more LEDs, but that's a great proof of concept (9 ultra bright green LEDs there.

I got started on the sewing this weekend. I'm taking a slightly different approach and making the hood part of the tunic, not the cape. In Books of Doom he's shown arriving in Latveria before his takeover wearing the tunic with a hood and tabbed mantle. He then takes the cape from the King along with the country.

I'd like to be able to do that look as well, so putting the hood in the tunic makes that easier.

Under the tunic I'll have a small breastplate to give that armor-like line (and in case anything shows near my neck). I'm not going to wear full body armor under the tunic just for comfort. I thought about it, but then decided against it. For the chest, I used one of my animated style clone trooper chests, cut down and reassembled a bit.

I finished up the cloak clasps. This part was fun...

They started life as these:

Which were then molded and done up in cold cast brass:

Which look nice and shiny when polished:

And are now attached to the cape:

I also did the last test fit of the right arm before finishing the parts off:

Looks AWESOME with the cloak!
The photos of your process and all the revisions you made along the way are really cool to see. Super helpful for someone new to this kind of thing. : )

I'm marching along at a crazy pace, trying to get done for this Saturday. I've got all of the armor pulled, so I just need to do the painting / strapping. I don't think the Magical Hand Lights of Doom are going to make it out this time, but there are more cons to go to!

fast forward... the version 1 suit is ready to wear! i tried taking a self portrait this morning and it did NOT go well. hopefully some good pics from the upcoming con this weekend :)

lots still to do. I ran out of time so I ended up pulling a pair of clonetrooper shins rather than sculpting doom ones. That's going to bug me, so I'll make new ones next. I didn't have time to actually rig up the lights in my hands... next con for that too!

Doom had his first run this weekend at Granite State Comic Con in New Hampshire, and was very well received!

1374272_10151956953508383_1387552055_n.jpg

1382956_10151956954163383_397314984_n.jpg

Still a LOT to do, but for the first run I'm happy.

On the punch list before Rhode Island Comic Con in November:

- redo the knuckles on the gloves.
- finish the boot armor
- put a wire in the hood to make it keep its shape better
- finish the Glowing Hands of Magic

I know my response is late but I absolutely admire this!! I love the Books of Doom Mask, I wish more variants like this one existed for sale on etsy. I keep seeing the same thing over and over.

Im curious to ask, would you consider selling copies of this mask??

I have been looking for who did this Doom cosplay since I saw a picture float by my screen once - and that was years ago! You have done an awesome job!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back