Do you remember this Star Wars Action Figure playset?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
When I was 7 years old, my neighbor's mom was that type of mom that could sew and cook and he always had cool "custom" made stuff. My parents were neither talented nor inventive, they worked and my mom was getting her PhD, so I was a latchkey kid (sob story over) ;)

I remember my neighbors mom making this really cool Hoth playset for him out of craft styrofoam and I was SOOOOO jealous. He could've cared less about it but everytime I sent over to his house I wanted to play with it.

I have been searching for the mythical pictures of it that was in his mom's Woman's Day Magazine that he showed me. (Woman's Day Nov 25 1980)

TODAY, I found it. Do you guys remember seeing this? I might have to make it, just to play with it for a while. :lol

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Monster Dave

Sr Member
WOW! That's neat! I don't remember that but if I had seen it - I would have wanted one too!

I had this one though:

Glad you finally found the playset that you were looking for. Not to burst your bubble, but a quick Google image search for "star wars playsets" brings up a picture of the one you spent so long looking for!!

Here's a link with oodles of info on it: The Woman's Day Empire Strikes Back Playsets

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yeah, that's how I found it but I had searched before and never found it. I believe these images are fairly new to that site.

JMChladek

Sr Member
Very nice custom project IMHO. Only thing I recall that came close to this from the Kenner stable was the Hoth Imperial Outpost which was a large plastic trench type fortress with three booby trapped areas (a figure launcher, a collapsing bridge and a comm station building that could be knocked down as well). I had a lot of Snow trooper figures when I was a kid, so collapsing the whole thing with troopers in it was a lot of fun.

I don't have that set anymore, but I still have my Star Wars Micro Collection sets (the ones with the small painted miniature figures that were about gaming mini sized). They did three Hoth sets and the biggest one was the Rebel base, which included an Ion cannon turret. Since the SW micro vehicles I have don't have very good stickers on them, I am kind of tempted to give them a repaint like models (even if it would wreck their potential resale value).

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
That's great - TOTALLY remember it and wanting someone to build it for me! I had all of the Sears playsets growing up - here I am with the playsets in 1980 in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, rocking a Thobe:

Weezer

Yeah... I sure do remember it! At that time all the parents in the neighborhood tried to out do each other. I think in '79 every dad on my street, including mine started building their kids a kenner-like Death Star using catalog photos and plywood. My dad got as far as the elevator and then just went out and bought the Kenner playset for my birthday.

In all fairness my dad did build an AT-AT out of wood. It was cool (for back then). He used jar lids for the feet. :)

Treadwell

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just think how the Battle of Hoth could've gone if the rebels had had a Personnel Launcher! :lol

robn1

Master Member
I never saw that. My Mom probably saw it in the magazine and hid it from me :lol Of course I was in high school in 1980, not too much into playsets anymore.

Monster Dave

Sr Member
Waaaaay back in 1983, I remember having had some epic battles with this one:

There was no figure launcher, but it did have a giant boulder on a string!!

Last edited:

JMChladek

Sr Member
Maybe if Michael Bay directs the remake we will see the figure launcher. ;)

I don't recall too much as far as custom stuff for my SW figures, but my sister, mom and myself were the craft people in the family. Mom made me some GREAT halloween costumes when I was a kid and usually would go above and beyond with them. I had a nice Superman costume in 1st grade (for a Christmas play) and when I was 9, she made me a Buck Rogers costume that was practically a dead ringer for the EDD uniforms used in the series (and all the measurements taken from watching the show without a VCR!). My sister and I would make these great Lego spaceships for my Fisher Price adventure people figures (same size as SW, but a couple years before they came out).

I guess I didn't go for the modified SW stuff much since I had most of the toys as a kid. I had the Death Star, the original Tatooine set (Jawa sand crawler in place of the AT AT with the ground base done in tan instead of snow color), the Sears Cantina cardboard set used as a backdrop for the Land Speeder. There was a lot of stuff I had which is long gone today. I suppose though that if my folks weren't quite as well off, they probably would have done the more creative playset builds as it would have been well within their skillset.

d_jedi1

Sr Member
Waaaaay back in 1983, I remember having had some epic battles with this one:

There was no figure launcher, but it did have a giant boulder on a string!!
I remember having that.. dunno what happened to it. I eventually got another one when it was repacked as Sherwood forest for the Robin Hood figures. :lol

Sluis Van Shipyards

Master Member
Very nice custom project IMHO. Only thing I recall that came close to this from the Kenner stable was the Hoth Imperial Outpost which was a large plastic trench type fortress with three booby trapped areas (a figure launcher, a collapsing bridge and a comm station building that could be knocked down as well). I had a lot of Snow trooper figures when I was a kid, so collapsing the whole thing with troopers in it was a lot of fun.

I had that one too. For me a custom playset was playing with my stuff outside! You had almost any kind of environment you wanted.

There's was another custom playset in that magazine that was shown in SW Insider. It looked like it was done with wood and looked like a typical generic late 70's early 80's scifi. Think the sets on BSG or the newer Buck Rogers.

cayman shen

Master Member
That craft foam playset is sooooooo cool! I know this makes me sound like the lame old guy, but I think there was something almost better about the home-made aesthetic of those days. For every friend who had a "Force" lightsaber, there were three with painted dowels. For every kid with the plastic, licensed Han blaster, there was me, with my blaster my dad cut from plywood. Does anyone do that today, or is it like child abuse to not buy the $200 Abercrombie/Jersey Shore special platinum edition of every little bauble?

Monster Dave

Sr Member
That craft foam playset is sooooooo cool! I know this makes me sound like the lame old guy, but I think there was something almost better about the home-made aesthetic of those days. For every friend who had a "Force" lightsaber, there were three with painted dowels. For every kid with the plastic, licensed Han blaster, there was me, with my blaster my dad cut from plywood. Does anyone do that today, or is it like child abuse to not buy the $200 Abercrombie/Jersey Shore special platinum edition of every little bauble?
I couldn't agree more. The days of cardboard playsets and homemade toys are very special for those of us who lived out our adventures during that time.

I really think that children today will never have the same experience as we did. Toys have evolved so much - and though they may be neat and realistic, if I had the choice, I wouldn't trade my childhood toys for anything.

Weezer

Awesome! I had a plywood blaster too, I thought I was the only one.:lol

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Does anyone do that today, or is it like child abuse to not buy the $200 Abercrombie/Jersey Shore special platinum edition of every little bauble?
LOL!! I just did this for my daughter. She wanted the $100 "Tangled Rapunel's Tower" from Toys R Us.

I went to Michaels and bought $25 of foam core, cardboard tubes and poster board and made her a tower. I plan on paper macheing it. It came out cool though. :thumbsup

Stormshadow

Oh the customs, you should of seen the "Custom" R2-D2 Dad tried to make..the Plastic trash can from Builder's Emporium mounted to a squard piece of ply wood with wheels from a wagon and a motor from who knows what(it never did work), LOL....
You had plywood blasters?? Not fair...I had to make my pistols out of Pencils, a paper clip and a wooden small square risk piece for the trigger, heh.

cayman shen

Master Member
Oh the customs, you should of seen the "Custom" R2-D2 Dad tried to make..the Plastic trash can from Builder's Emporium mounted to a squard piece of ply wood with wheels from a wagon and a motor from who knows what(it never did work), LOL....
You had plywood blasters?? Not fair...I had to make my pistols out of Pencils, a paper clip and a wooden small square risk piece for the trigger, heh.
Yup, my dad was a carpenter, so there was always scrap wood. I learned to use a jigsaw pretty young. Made wooden samurai swords, nunchucks, lightsabers, blasters, shields, tommy guns...lots of stuff. We were kinda poor and kinda crafty, so lots of cool crap got made. If you'd asked me THEN, I'd have wanted the store bought stuff. But looking back, the home-made gear means more.

I tried sooooooo hard to convince my dad to make me a plywood x-wing fighter in our basement! :lol

Last edited: