DJI Phantom 2, who has one?

I've been researching these and would also like to hear from anyone who knows about them. They're better than the first version, but certainly more costly so I'm looking for reliable information.

So far i'm divided between the new phantom 2 vision plus and the phantom 2 with H3-3D gymbal + one of those gopro hero 3+ black camera's (ends up slightly more costly).

Just not sure about the video quality from both system...

Also it's a bit of a nightmare to run those for commercial usage... but i'm finally seeing the end of the paperwork and regulations!

Anyone has a GoPro Hero3+ Black? Wutcha think of it?

Flyaways are still too common for me.

DJI Phantom 2 Flyaway & Crash - RC Groups

Apparently it's a problem with the first generation one.

I'm on the big phantom forum and there's barely any talk about phantom 2 flyaways, and none with any of the software since 4.4 (which is quite some time ago).

Also that link refers to someone that set his compass while the drone was sitting on a engine and metal hood (or something like that) which i'm told is a HUGE no no (metal throws off the compass calibration).

Still scares the heck out of me so i'm looking into insurance for it and if anything goes bad (MAAC ftw).

I can't trust the company still, I have 3 friends with 1 and all have had a flyaway(one landed in a lake, it's gone for good.).

The problem with the fly aways for me isn't loss of quad but the injury it may cause someone :(

Would you be interested in other brands?

I can't trust the company still, I have 3 friends with 1 and all have had a flyaway(one landed in a lake, it's gone for good.).

The problem with the fly aways for me isn't loss of quad but the injury it may cause someone :(

Would you be interested in other brands?

Since it's a Phantom 1 problem, i'm getting a Phantom 2.

Sure i'm interested, but nothing comes close both in quality, technology and price.

For around 2 grande i can get a Phantom 2, 3 axis gymbal, ground station for my ipad and a Hero3+ Black edition.

Wutcha found in you searches that comes close to that? I'm deff interested but i haven't found anything :(

My friends have been flying quads for years, using all different platforms and non, including any incorrectly setup ones have flown away :) It's just bad coding.

The 350 is a fantastic piece of kit and slightly cheaper I think.

My friends have been flying quads for years, using all different platforms and non, including any incorrectly setup ones have flown away :) It's just bad coding.

The 350 is a fantastic piece of kit and slightly cheaper I think.

Lots of people that have been flowing quads for years have had problems with the phantom 1 which was fixed for the phantom 2. So far for the few phantom 2 fly aways it's always been proven to be a compass problem, always due to a improper alignment that's actually shown in the software for 'advance' tuning (or w/e they call it).

I agree that it's bad coding that when something goes bad like the compass alignment, it should come back to home and not get a mind of it's own. People actually showed why it happens, the drone can't figure out the problem and it just gets super dumb... that's bad coding.

What bothers me is that the 'safety' lights that tell you your alignment is proper and the drone is ready to fly is actually too generous and lets people take off when they really shouldn't be... and boom you get fly aways... Biggest mistake is doing the compass alignment while on the roof of a car, on concrete (with re-barb in it), or heck on a metal table. Oh that and when doing the 360 setup, they rotate the drone using their body as the point of center instead using the drone as the point of center.

Freaks me out though... but then again it's the same story as if your $5000 r/c helicopter suddenly has a issue and you can't compensate...

That's why i'm getting insurance both for liability but for hardware too.

I took a look at your link and that's very much a toy. Way too limiting sadly :(
I already have a setup for the ipad ground control + the smartchip to let the drone take over and run the shoot by itself. I doubt the 350 can do that (didn't see it in the compatible charts with the more advance hardware that's available).

I have decided to go with the DJI F550 with the latest E300 motors. Camera will be the Hero3+ Black Edition for now on a 3 axis gimbal.

Should have it setup and ready to fly mid/end of May. Quite a chunk of money but with all the options to upgrade/repair/etc and a MUCH higher payload i think it's the better option.

Setup similar to this one:
cache_11569225.jpg

I'll probably replace the white arms with black one's and install a black dome on top to protect the electronics/GPS.

Only going to be flying FPV?

I'll have a full FPV setup coming in. The point is to shoot video's so i'll be using the screen for framing and what not. I don't expect to do long distance filming but just in case it will have a GPS tracker + full autonomous system install too.

The great thing about the F550 is it's a much more stable and powerful platform that is easily upgradable.

The F550 is a much better choice than the phantom :)

A suggestion, keep the white arms. If for any reason the video link fails or the autonomous setup goes haywire you'll be able to fly home alot easier. It makes your spotters job easier too :)

The F550 is a much better choice than the phantom :)

A suggestion, keep the white arms. If for any reason the video link fails or the autonomous setup goes haywire you'll be able to fly home alot easier. It makes your spotters job easier too :)

Isnt that what the LED's are for?

It depends on how good your eyesight is :)

I had my FPV fail when I was a couple of hundred meters out with my first quad and it took ages to return because all arms were the same colour :lol

These are just suggestions, stuff I have learnt(autocorrect is trying to make that 'learned') over the last few years at my own expense :D :)

It depends on how good your eyesight is :)

I had my FPV fail when I was a couple of hundred meters out with my first quad and it took ages to return because all arms were the same colour :lol

These are just suggestions, stuff I have learnt(autocorrect is trying to make that 'learned') over the last few years at my own expense :D :)

Yeah a FPV failure would suck, that's why i have both a GPS tracker and a GPS for autonomous flights.

Still not sure which tracker to go with... the canadian subscription plans are painful...

They were just talking about this kind of stuff on the Still Untitled podcast

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back