Diy Rotj Saber

Velocity502

Hey, I'm new to this forum. I'm currently in the process of building a Luke Rotj hilt and I'm having trouble finding something that would be a good pommel. If you guys have any suggestions that would be amazing. My saber is a 1 1/4 inch. Thanks

Welcome! What version are you creating (Hero,V2, V3,)? What material are you planning on making it out of? If its the V2 (the beat up version of the three) this thread has a ton of information. Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Welcome! What version are you creating (Hero,V2, V3,)? What material are you planning on making it out of? If its the V2 (the beat up version of the three) this thread has a ton of information. Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber
I'm attempting to make a hero version. Since I'm making it from hardware store parts it isn't going to be 100 percent accurate. My trouble so far is coming up with what I could use as a pommel. I may end up just gluing metal squares on to another pipe. Not sure yet. Can't seem to find any reference for a good homemade pommel.

Hey Velocity502 ! How about a pipe cap of some sort...

TLH_Fittings_Threaded_Sch.80-PP-Pipe-Caps.jpg

...or even a faucet handle...
Moen M-Line Chrome Jameco Faucet Handle M3327.jpg

I fantasized about using furniture bumpers once but wasn't able to wrap them around a tube. I recommend a cylindrical faucet handle, but you could always cut the cube ring out of wood or apoxie sculpt, which is more of a fabrication route

I tried building this saber like 8 years ago out of plumbing parts too and I struggled hard.

I also tried to use a type of corrugated hose for pools for a grip

Calling Tan Djarka ! the master of hardware skinny neck sabers

Well, although you seem to have made a decision, I'll throw in my opinion anyway :whistle: The short answer is there is no one piece solution that exactly duplicates the ROTJ pommel.

What I've done is taken the main tube, slipped a short section of thin walled PVC or plastic pipe around that, and then mounted the "cubes" (fashioned out a larger section of PVC pipe) around that. Then, depending on the desired finish, I either painted it or covered it in silver HVAC tape.

Some time ago someone fabricated and all metal ROTJ v2, using various diameters of aluminum pipe to achieve a similar result, building up the "cubes" layer by layer.

A simple answer might be to download a file from Thingiverse or the like, and have it printed up locally (libraries in my area are starting to offer that service relatively cheaply).

Well, although you seem to have made a decision, I'll throw in my opinion anyway :whistle: The short answer is there is no one piece solution that exactly duplicates the ROTJ pommel.

What I've done is taken the main tube, slipped a short section of thin walled PVC or plastic pipe around that, and then mounted the "cubes" (fashioned out a larger section of PVC pipe) around that. Then, depending on the desired finish, I either painted it or covered it in silver HVAC tape.

Some time ago someone fabricated and all metal ROTJ v2, using various diameters of aluminum pipe to achieve a similar result, building up the "cubes" layer by layer.

A simple answer might be to download a file from Thingiverse or the like, and have it printed up locally (libraries in my area are starting to offer that service relatively cheaply).
Thanks, I'll be sure to post some pictures of it when I'm done. I'm interested to see what you guys think. And constructive criticism would be great

I'd say a sink knob of some sort for the pommel, a piece of aluminum pipe for the lower body, screen door or pulley wheels for the grenade section, shaft color for the windvane, and a shower flange for the emitter. Build it all on a rod with nuts holding it together.

I also will say there is something to be said for sticking something on a bolt, and up into a drill press. if you just spin it and touch sandpaper or a file to it you can get clean cylindrical surfaces and bevels

I also will say there is something to be said for sticking something on a bolt, and up into a drill press. if you just spin it and touch sandpaper or a file to it you can get clean cylindrical surfaces and bevels

Just do this before glueing on greeblies....

This is super clunky, but to give you an idea, I just threw this together with stuff from my parts box.

That's a sink knob, a section of pipe, a stack of screen door wheels, a shaft collar around a tripod mounting peg, a small flang bushing, and a sink drain insert. It's all on a 1/4 20 rod with nuts at either end.

Aside from the tripod peg, this is a 100% hardware build.

Attachments

• 9B48883F-558C-4DF7-8A58-5448E23CD5A1.jpeg
    9B48883F-558C-4DF7-8A58-5448E23CD5A1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 157
This is super clunky, but to give you an idea, I just threw this together with stuff from my parts box.

That's a sink knob, a section of pipe, a stack of screen door wheels, a shaft collar around a tripod mounting peg, a small flang bushing, and a sink drain insert. It's all on a 1/4 20 rod with nuts at either end.

That's awesome looking. I'm about 99 percent done with my saber. The only thing keeping me from finishing is needing to get some copper spray paint. Hopefully be done by tomorrow!

Very creative! .... needs some gaffers tape :p

Nice! What are the oarts you ended up using?
I ended up using a copper pipe that runs the length of the neck. I then stacked 3/4 grommets and 3/4 flat washers to create the ribbed effect. 1 1/4 aluminum pipe for the main body. Then various parts I found. Then pommel is just the end of a flashlight that I glued bits of flat bar to. It's not perfect, but I love it. Seriously debating if I should weather it a little. What do you think?

I ended up using a copper pipe that runs the length of the neck. I then stacked 3/4 grommets and 3/4 flat washers to create the ribbed effect. 1 1/4 aluminum pipe for the main body. Then various parts I found. Then pommel is just the end of a flashlight that I glued bits of flat bar to. It's not perfect, but I love it. Seriously debating if I should weather it a little. What do you think?

I'm always pro weathering. Star Wars is dirty.

What did you use for the emitter? (for both of them-- looks great)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back