District 9: MNU "White Armor"

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Jonny B, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Wrapping up the Terra Nova Pistol, Godzilla Oxygen Destroyer is off to the milling shop and I'm waiting on a shipment of wood for Battle Droids...omg, I have nothing to do all week! I supose I could clean the shop....

NAAA! I always thought this armor was cool from District 9, not that it helped these guys one little bit when they got shot. Hey, come to think of it, NO white armor ever helps in any movie!

Here's what I have as rep pics, and I could use a lot more *HINT HINT!*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5-6 day build? I must be nuts...

2. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

It was damned cool armour! Love to see you build it... What medium were you thinking? Foam? Or formed plastic? Or something entirely different. :D.

Haha.

Cheers, Dave.

3. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

After seeing that post in the Tera Nova thread I think I'll pick this project up again after a long hiatus. Hopefully watching your progress will help me get going on it.

4. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I dont think its a coincidence that D9 was on last night and this thread bumpped:lol:lol

Was thinking about this armor also. Need better screen grabs

5. G17RDY

G17RDY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent project, looking forward to some progress on this.
    Always liked the MNU armour, surprised we've not seen this done before!

F-N-S likes this.
  6. Lear60man

While watching the movie last night and I dont have screen grabs for comparison purposes..... the screen armor and concept art looked different. The SU armor looked watered down or missing detail. In fact some of the bicep armor was flopping around like it was held on with rubber band, like a cheezy kids Halloween mask.

I would make a foam sculpt, seal it and make a mold. Then fill the mold with fiberglass. Its armor right? Pay a seamstress to do the soft parts. Vacuforming would be out for the main body because it appears really thick....1/4-1/2" thick.

7. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I got yer back, soldier! :love

Actually, I don't have a lot of pics handy... I'll check the trailers, etc. to see if there's more stuff I can grab at better-than-DVD quality.

-Mike

Attached Files:

8. Mike J.

The "Making of" book has a couple good pics. 3 or 4.

Here are two more I found online.

I couldn't find any good shots in the trailer, the teaser, or the featurette.

-MJ

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  9. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

WOOT! (people still say that right?) NICE pictures.

OK, here's the plan...

1. Invite a friend over under flase pretense of a free breakfast...
    2. Wrap him up in cardboard and duct-tape...
    3. Hot glue some foam blocks onto the cardboard...
    4. Get the rough shape done with electric cutting wire...
    5. Remove rough sculpt from ex-friends corpse...
    6. Fiberglass the shell and add some carbon fiber matting...
    7. Sand, fiberglass, sand, fiberglass, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, glazing putty, sand...
    8. Dremell in details...
    8a. Sculpt and make extra bits and pieces...
    9. Vaccuform a few dozen...
    10. Run and hide from Weta...I hear they hunt people just for fun durring coffee breaks. So this? Yeah I better run! :lol

10. Mike J.

I still say woot :lol

Good luck with this.

Do you have the "Making of" book?

-MJ

11. Lear60man

+1

Lets see those armor pics

the clips might be a * to identify.

12. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Tell you what guys, the first 3 people who provide me with THE MOST good HD pictures, ID's items like clips and such, finds the corect decals and logos, ect. over the next two days (ends Nov. 4th midnight)...

GETS ONE AT COST + S&H!!!

No labor fee, no mark up what so ever. You'll pay for the ABS and the materials...that's it.

No I'm not kidding.

NOTE! Check pictures and details already listed/posted, if someone beat you to it, don't re-post/re-list. Only NEW information counts.

13. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

What do WETA do in concerns to someone doing a run out of there ideas? I would have thought they would be against it? Anyway, I wouldn't know. :D.

I think the attachments worked?

Cheers, Dave.

14. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

Hmm I have a few screen caps from my initial research a while back but nothing that wasn't already posted.

Here is an album I have. One surprisingly good reference is what I think is a fanmade figure.

D9 Armor albulm

I also included two patches released by weta. I think the blue circular one is the same image seen on the shoulder/arm guards.
    If you'd like I can clean them up in photoshop so they don't look like patches then send the files to you. And the black reaction force battalion seems like the same antelope head used on the chest. I can also clean that up for you if you'd like.

Oh and someone else here posted an empty badge you can easily tweak to say whatever you want:
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/district-9-fluid-device-spoiler-68679/index3.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  15. ShowMe482

ShowMe482 Member

This is gonna be epic. I've been waiting for this type of build for a while

16. DarthJosh

DarthJosh New Member

Yes! It's gonna be :thumbsup

Maybe I should build a "Wikus van der Merwe" costume :lol

[​IMG]

17. Mike J.

18. Mike J.

Pretty sure the blue circular badge on the shoulder is just a blue version of the yellow circular badge seen in the concept art.

Yeah, those fan-made costumes (for 1/6 action figs, I think) are fantastic. You have to do a double-take to tell it's not a real guy. Great workmanship and photography.

-MJ

19. DarthJosh

DarthJosh New Member

It's great and a funny idea! I'm thinking of making an own Wikus costume :rolleyes

20. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

I'm currently working in photoshop right now to get you the blue logo, did a little more research on it and it is not as I first presumed. I should hopefully have something to show tomorrow.

21. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Perfect guys, good going and keep it comming. Believe it or not, the rough sculpt is almost done. Spent 8 hours on it locking down the corect shapes and pieces. Big thanks to my friend Clayton who endured much wraping of cardboard and duct tapeing :lol

Oh and one more thing, this is going to be "Hero" armor, as in exact. I know I originaly intended this to be a quick build, but I've changed my mind on that due to your suport on this project.:thumbsup

22. Mike J.

Material scanned from "The Making of."

Warning! Huge Pics!

-Mike J.

23. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Sith Sheriff Brody, Panzer & XxCALIBERxX

You guys get one set each, at cost (+S&H) When it gets close to done I'll need shipping addys from you by PM so I can get you the total. I ONLY ship insured with tracking number, sorry but it protects us both.

There is one tiny condition though...

When these go into the JY I better see you guys post some personal pictures wearing it! :lol

24. Lear60man

Sith...NIce pics thanks!

So im guessing that the clips are generic with heat shrink tubing around them.

25. Mike J.

They look like that. No idea what those black discs on the sides are.

26. Lear60man

5 point quick release buckle? Thats my guess at least. You could remove the philips screw in the buckle and secure the side straps with a round top allen bolt like in the screen grabs. It might be a found part or a cast part.

ALKAMLOK- Lowy Enterprises, Inc.

Looking at the pics you posted.....man, there are a lot of angles in this thing! :lol

27. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

Awesome! I can't wait to see this progress. You can expect plenty of pics. Hehe looks like I have a new costume project. I'm still trying to figure out those plastic connectors, kinda reminds me of these ones on a suitcase of mine...

28. saxe coburg

saxe coburg Sr Member

If you mean the ones on the shoulders and cod-piece, they just look like basic ITW Nexus 1" side release buckles with heat/shrink tubing over them.

[​IMG]

Looks kind of like they glued a basic washer on the face of the buckle and then put the shrink-tubing over top of it.

29. Lear60man

Good call,
    I think you hit it on the washer. IIRC when I watched this the other night I swear they used electrical tape instead of heat shrink on some of them.

30. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

I wouldn't be at all suprised, some of the guys durring stunts look like they're wearing cheap imitations of the armor. Just flat plastic sheets with black velcro belts holding it togeather.

Today:
    Ordered the known clips (still need those round ones figured out), a whole roll of 1" belt (50 yards oughta be enough lol) and a huge bag of the hexdriver screws.

Also...As I'm working and getting into it, I'm really thinking vaccumforming isn't going to be the best way to reproduce this. I think I may have to mold and cast the pieces to get all the sharp edges.
    I'll do a few tests when the masters are done, just to see though.

Keep up the great work guys, everything helps!

31. saxe coburg

saxe coburg Sr Member

Actually a small group of us thought about doing these costumes for DragonCon a couple of years ago. With my limited research, I figured the armor (at least the hero sets) were fiberglass. Like you mentioned the detail is really sharp.

32. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Will you need help getting rid of the ex friends body? LOL

33. Lear60man

After looking at the pics closer, Ill probably go with a bike tube from a 10 speed instead of heat shrink.

As for construction....

Foam base then fiberglassed resin for the base armor. Then thick sintra or MDF for the outer plates. Im counting 8 pieces for the upper torso:

Upper torso, mid torso, cod piece, left shoulder, right shoulder, biceps and back.

I have a torso that has been giving me the stink eye in the corner of the shop. He needs to be taught a lesson.

Jonny, if you have already identified the corret clips please share.

34. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Doing the same here, Fiber-foam blocks, short strand fiberglass, bondo, then sinstra for the "plates". Making the drag-bar metal though...

STILL haven't decided how I'm going to replicate it. WAS toying around with the idea of vaccuming the main body pieces but then doing the plates as casts.

35. RarestRX

RarestRX Member

Awesome, good luck with the project!

Been interested in the armor for awhile. I love the drag handle on the back..

36. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Working on the padded Under-Armor now....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

37. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Are you still going with this one man? Was rather looking forward to seeing it done. :D.

Cheers, Dave.

38. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Oh yes, still working on this, I'll do an update later this week. Just have a LOT of projects going at the same time right now.

39. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

Hey Jonny you still be good? Been a while, but recently I got a hold of the D9 art book in a store and took some good pics for reference. Don't know if you've seen them or not. Hope this project is still healthy. Here's an influx of some pics that hopefully may help.

D9 Armor - Imgur

New images start here and move right. Good luck if you are still working on this.

40. unorthodoxdesig

unorthodoxdesig Active Member

deff excited to see this one come out.. Wets did an amazing job on district 9.. After my fallout plasma rifle i want to try and tackle the vacuum gun with backpack.. maybe for fan expo toronto 2013 :D That gun is bad *.. but quite an undertaking.. I need a freaking milling machine/lathe

41. Evan Rogers

Evan Rogers New Member

BUMP!

Any luck figuring out the finer details. Just revisited the film again after catching Elysium this fall. Inspired to build an MNU armor set. Any photos of the finished gear or photos of the build?

42. nosaint

nosaint Member

Of course i find this thread after building half of the vest...Some of those pics could of been useful!