Disney's Zootopia (Post-release)

I just saw that and it's unexpectedly good. It's the animated performances that really stand out. These aren't so much animal caricatures of human characters but these are animal characters. The animation of performances has reached a new high in this subtle difference. I think it's a film that's going to be memorable more for its adult content and social themes. I really liked it and love the characters.

Easily Disney animation's best effort in the CGI era. Funny, witty, appeals to both kids and adults, and delivers a great message about diversity and inclusion. I really think WDAS has closed the gap on Pixar with their consistency the last few years.

When it comes to racism or sexism in film outside of direct treatment, the obvious route has always been with an allegory of modern society e.g. Planet of the Apes (1968). What Zootopia manages to do is much more elegant and intelligent than allegory. It creates a fully realized world that isn't metaphor. Yet it's a world where social/biological forces give rise to familiar ethical conflict albeit in a setting and in characters with which we've become emotionally invested - which gives the story resonance. This is a film that gets more powerful each time I reflect upon it. Specific instances still give me the chills. e.g.
When Nick confronts Hopps asking if she thinks he's a threat. He notes the Fox Spray on her belt and makes a lunging gesture which causes her to reach for her spray.... (chills)

Last edited:
Agreed, this film actually offers a very intelligent approach to the hot topics of racism and xenophobia, and not just for a kids movie. Vast majority of Hollywood attempts go for the melting pot approach and only discuss the issue at the surface, thus they fail miserably. Zootopia isn't afraid to address the reality that differences and strongly rooted perceptions of stereotypes exist in our society, and it will take a lot of work from every person to confront and overcome such differences.

If it was a preaching movie, as if Disney is trying to make a statement on todays events...I wouldn't like it.

If it was just a movie to say, 'hey, don't pre judge people.....but judge them on how they act'......i'd like that a little more.
The rodent mob boss was the best character in the movie.

It was also nice tohear john dimaggio and kathy soucie in it as well... some REAL voice actors to go in with all these goofy celebrities they keep hiring to half ass things.
I'm still not sure how the hell bill murray got to be balloo, unless the director really wanted to work with bill murray.

Took me a while to get around to this. When a predictable plot still makes you smile and laugh and tear up a little, you've got a good film on your hands. Really enjoyed it.

If one day I've got some curious young minds to shape, this would definitely be one of the films I'd hope they'd enjoy. The imagination and animation is superb, the messages are good, and it's fun.

I love this movie so very much. I was honestly surprised by the heavy sub-text, but I thought it was very well handled. It's easily one of my favorite movies now. Judy and Nick are the best. :love

Here's the weird thing.

The portrayal of discrimination in this movie is actually more sophisticated than almost any live action film that comes to mind.

I went into this film knowing nothing. By the mid-way point I was pretty much accepting that the predators were falling back into their predatory instincts. By the time of Judy's infamous speech I realized that the film had placed me in the shoes of the discriminatory group. It was so easy to fall into that mindset by erroneously extrapolating from even factual information.

In repeated viewings I can see how the film craftily seeded my beliefs e.g. when Gideon Grey says, "our killer instincts are in our DNA" and when Mr. Big warns that, "we may be evolved but deep down we're still animals."

In comparison just about every live action film about prejudice establishes its heroes and villains quite clearly. Most films have you sympathize with the minority group or their advocates and basically demonize the discriminating group. Zootopia is much more subtle and truthful. It has you experience first hand how easy it is to become prejudiced - even when your intentions are good - not only through the experience of Judy Hopps but with your perception as the viewer. In addition it inserts allusions to drug addiction in the equation. And Zootopia achieves all this without coming across as "preachy" (which is another weakness of prejudice-themed live action films). It's a remarkable achievement.

I also loved this movie! I went to watch it knowing nothing about it, and I was really thinking it was mainly targeted for children, but seeing the subjects they've been treating and the way they did it, I find it incredibly smart. The executive producer was John Lasseter though, so that could only be good :p... (he's the one who came up with the main idea; and he's the one who pretty much created Pixar xD)

My favourite bit was definitely the one with Flash xD Administration is so like that xD

"Hey Priscilla", that kills me every time xD

Last edited:
I just caught myself about to be guilty of only posting in threads of movies I don't like, and not posting positive reactions as well.

I thought this film was wonderful! A surprising and refreshing mature undercurrent. And just so much CRAFT involved, really putting it over the top. Far superior offering.

I just caught myself about to be guilty of only posting in threads of movies I don't like, and not posting positive reactions as well.

I thought this film was wonderful! A surprising and refreshing mature undercurrent. And just so much CRAFT involved, really putting it over the top. Far superior offering.

Well, to be honest, I just didn't have anything to add other than "me too "

It's a great movie. Good animation, good music, good voice acting, good story.

It also doesn't hurt that it had Jason Bateman who I've been a fan of for years, and Ginnifer Goodwin, who has turned me into a fan recently with Once Upon A Time (love that show).

Also agree about the DMV scene. Too funny.

And Gazelle Shakira amuses me more than it probably should.

Did you also notice how Gazelle, who I'm sure we all had the immediate thought of at the start when she starts playing on the iPhone and also as the "greeting" thing - despite all the obvious cliches, has actually the most straight forward morally right viewpoint in the film? That's so far from what Hollywood tropes actually are that it's terrifying that its taken me this long to remember that. ie. I associated the "popstar" character so heavily with idiocy and lack of depth that it didnt even occur to me that she was actually the voice of reason and message in the film. She didn't have to change to suit the message - she simply stuck to her viewpoint and was validated. Again, great story craft.

I watched this movie with no expectations other than seeing that initial trailer with the sloths at the DMV (which was hysterical) and was really really impressed with how entertaining it was. The voice acting was great, I was emotionally invested in the characters and interested in the plot. It had a perfect blend of fun and depth. It didn't have to talk down to it's audience to get it's message across (I'm looking at you Avatar!)

The shrew mob boss was honestly one of the funniest scenes I've seen in a movie in a long time and Maurice LaMarche as Mr. Big was easily (as was stated earlier) the best Godfather spoof I've ever seen. His delivery was so spot on and the animation, whew! I just laugh every time I think of it.

Great movie!

For all the awesomeness in this film, my favorite little inclusion is Alan Tudyk's character. Specifically the scene where Nick mispronounces Weasel-Town as "wezzelton", only to be angrily corrected -- a perfect mirror of Tudyk's character in Frozen being the Duke of "*ahem... Weasel-Town" ("That's 'Wezzelton'!). I adore films with this many levels.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back