Disney's "Galaxy's Edge" - REAL lightsabers?

That hilt is pretty big, might have to go to a wookie or a trandoshan...
Still, I giggled like an idiot the first time I watched the clip.

Based on something I just read, it'll do it's job just fine (or should at least). They aren't meant to be mass-produced and sold, they're meant specifically for performers working at the parks. That means that you most likely aren't going to be seeing them up close or as good of quality as this, you'll be seeing it at a distance. Which is really good news, because (in my opinion) the cons of the saber (huge hilt, weak blade, short blade) all outweigh the cons from a personal costuming perspective or a convention perspective. But for stage shows and live performances? Perfection.

Yeah I'm not real impressed. It looks just like an led strip unfolding and then reeling back in. Cut something with it and we'll talk about how cool your "real" lightsaber is.

I work with plasma guns and the “blade” (plume) is about an inch long, made up of ionized argon/hydrogen gas. And the support equipment is rather large, and requires 460V 3 phase @100A on the power supply.

Even if it WAS nuclear, I doubt it could fit in your hand (never mind your inability to lift it).

We need a serious technology jump to make anything like this “real”.

I work with plasma guns and the “blade” (plume) is about an inch long, made up of ionized argon/hydrogen gas. And the support equipment is rather large, and requires 460V 3 phase @100A on the power supply.

Even if it WAS nuclear, I doubt it could fit in your hand (never mind your inability to lift it).

We need a serious technology jump to make anything like this “real”.

Yep, here is a "REAL" saber

Did you see how long it took to heat up titanium?

That’s not a light saber.

Think plasma cutter, but running at 40-80kW. Around 20,000k at the core of the arc. Hot.

But that is cool, in a ghostbusters steampunk sort of way.

I remember trying to design something like this years ago but using rubber tubing for the blade. The idea was that it was thick enough to swing but flexible enough to be rolled into itself. The problem there was maintaining a solid structure while extended while also not losing shape after being rolled up. The theoretical solution to this theoretical build was using fishing line or a clear filament attached through the tubing and attached to the end cap. The internals would use Arduino-based motors to extend and retract the tubing into the blade. As I am not an engineer and seeing many flaws in this hypothetical lightsaber, am thrilled this real saber exists and looking forward to seeing it in action. Plus, this probably means there is a Kylo version of this somewhere out there. Which I can't wait to see.

Meh. The description sounded cooler than the effect. I recognize it's a work in progress though.

Perhaps this seems impressive to the lay person who has zero knowledge of the saber tech the fans have developed over the last two decades. The fact that they've been hyping this technology and the patent for over a year or something like that feels pretty underwhelming when seeing it in action. Idk.

I really miss the days of Pippmaster and his New Lighting Strat thread on the ASAP Prop boards. Those were some truly exciting times to be in the saber world. Lots of experimentation and innovation going on.

Initial reaction: WOW it really does work!
After watching a few times: blade a little short, but that's totally understandable.
Showed some co-workers and I could tell they didn't understand NO CGI was used.
"So... its just a lightsaber?" *facepalm*
"That's not even Rey" *double facepalm*

Overall, I still need at least one.
But I would guess it's for cast members only.

*just occurred to me, maybe the other disney sabers were made a little on the thicker side to make these fit in better? You can tell even though the actress is small, the saber hilt is a bit thick to accommodate the inner workings of this new tech.
AND...
could we someday see savi sabers fitting the large "junk" parts over a new chassis with this new tech inside???

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back