Disney's "Galaxy's Edge" - REAL lightsabers?

While it may not be the most robust, if it looks the part it should be pretty awesome. And with the way we inoovate materials and tensile strength, it could end up being quite robust inevitably. I can't wait to see it.

I think what I'm the most interested in is the fact/idea of what others here could do with this technology/innovation. There's very few things Disney has done that independent makers cannot take a step farther. When it comes to costumes and the technologies involved with them, Disney is usually a step behind what is being made by independent makers... the reason for that being you have to have multiple performances with them in one day, multiple actors using them, etc.

With something like this lightsaber, you're going to have to have something that can be made for a relatively fair price, can be replaced easily, won't get in the way of actors, can be used by multiple people, and even though we don't necessarily know the time frame, there is a time frame attached to it. Give the independent makers that same technology with no time frame and no "theme park" constraints, and I think we're going to have something really cool on our hands.

I think for stage shows, it's a really cool idea. I'm a little concerned about it from a perspective of someone like us who want to have near-perfect replicas of screen used pieces. I still feel that for that, neopixel is the way to go. From a distance on stage, the shorter blade and absolutely enormous handle of Disney's won't be as noticeable, and the effect is definitely worth it to be able to have the blade actually retract. But if you were between 3-6 feet from someone I'm not sure I'd want to have something with that big of a handle and that short of a blade.

All complaints aside, this is a first for the lightsaber community. I'm in awe that they were able to pull something off like this. I hope we can get a closer look at it. Disney is known for their live action shows, and seeing this in person would be such a cool experience!!

Whoa. that's some solid engineering right there.

Doubt it would help up in combat. But how flipping cool to have that exist, even if for show? Cheers!

Yeah that handle is ginormous, and she’s covering most of it up as best she can. But I think of this is still a beta version, give it about five years where they can downsize the technology.

I agree with others here, this will look good from a distance but I’m not sure how you can swing this thing around and it remain rigid. It’s definitely not going to be a combat saber, since it’s basically 2 interlocking tape measure type devices that extend and retract.

Last edited:
A bit underwhelming IMO, but I'm sure these will be improving. The action is a bit slow and mechanical looking ... a little quicker with a longer/girthier blade and I think it could look pretty real. Regardless, VERY impressive.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back