Disney's "Galaxy's Edge" - REAL lightsabers?

5f05024b95954b52400137476ff20c44.gif

I feel like Disney wouldn't be stupid enough to label an AR experience a "real lightsaber" ... they have to know how disappointing of a reveal that would be for everyone. Also, it seems from that article that it was recently used in front of a crowd of people, so unless they hid AR goggles under eveyone's seats, Oprah style, my guess is that it's something else. I vaguely recall a few years back seeing a leaked schematic or description thereof of a mechanism where the blade rolled up and retracted into the hilt, sort of like a tape measure. Anybody recall this? Was it Disney?

Found it. It was a patent that Disney filed in 2018. I think this is probably what we're looking at:

"More illuminating is a patent that Disney filed in 2018 for a “Sword Device with Retractable, Internally Illuminated Blade” — a lightsaber hilt with a motorized retractable blade that can extend out of the hilt, complete with lighting and sound effects."

My other guess is some sort of rapidly inflatable tube of a high quality/robust material that diffuses a light source in the hilt.

At the risk of sounding like a total a$$hat, I pretty much theorized this design in my head years ago. I conceived of it as two "tape measure-esque" strips of rigid/transparent material (each half of a cylinder) telescoping outward from a hilt, back to back, to make a cylinder, then illuminated. Just like a tape measure, the semi-cylindrical shape of the blade material would allow it to be rigid (enough) when extended, yet floppy enough to be rolled up. A simple enough concept, but super impressive if they've managed to actually engineer it in a way that's compact, quiet, etc.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like the demo blade came out of a "box-shaped object" that was wider than your average lightsaber hilt. This tells me that they're close, but likely still working on making it compact enough to fit into a hilt of traditional girth. It's also possible that they're just still working out the creative aspects of the hilt design, but wanted to show off the tech. Either way, I'm (obviously) super excited, and hope that these will soon exist outside of the confines of the park, hotel, etc.

Here it is, ya'll:

You should check out this old thread too...

call me closed minded but I just dont see this as being anything that catches on with a mass market. The cost/durability balance of the traditional (be they string or in hilt) lightsabers is just really hard to beat. I know everyone wants a "real" lightsaber but this seems like a solution looking for a problem.

call me closed minded but I just dont see this as being anything that catches on with a mass market. The cost/durability balance of the traditional (be they string or in hilt) lightsabers is just really hard to beat. I know everyone wants a "real" lightsaber but this seems like a solution looking for a problem.

I don’t believe that is the purpose. I think it is for live appearances of the cast members at the park so that the lightsabers look more realistic than a lit tube or painted rod.

There is no way this is gonna be any way durable. Moveable parts with people swinging them around, will be broken before you leave the park.

There is no way this is gonna be any way durable. Moveable parts with people swinging them around, will be broken before you leave the park.
Like I said...

I don’t believe that is the purpose. I think it is for live appearances of the cast members at the park so that the lightsabers look more realistic than a lit tube or painted rod.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back