Disney Pulls the plug on the Lone Ranger Movie

How in the hell do you have a $250M budget for a Western? Are they actually building several fully-functional towns or what?

Crap, tread this in the article:

"Halting tentpole movies is certainly is happening with more regularity in Hollywood lately. Universal recently halted production on a version of At The Mountains Of Madness that Guillermo del Toro was going to direct"

I know it was going to be a niche interest group film, but I was really looking forward to seeing this one. Dang!

To note, I have not seen Cowboys Versus Aliens but I knew they had some decent effects and the budget for that film was $ 163 million. I can't imagine the effects would be more for The Lone Ranger unless the cast and crew cost are that much more.

To note, I have not seen Cowboys Versus Aliens but I knew they had some decent effects and the budget for that film was $ 163 million. I can't imagine the effects would be more for The Lone Ranger unless the cast and crew cost are that much more.

Cast and crew? You have to pay Johnny Depp, Gore Verbinski and Jerry Bruckheimer - either through salaries or points off the back-end or both. I suspect that, collectively, they cost more than Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig and John Favreau.

Also, given C&A's relatively middling returns for a highly-publicized summer tentpole, perhaps Disney got cold feet about Westerns right now.

You'd think with as much as Depp rakes in off POTC he could throw them a cheapy once in while :) [Purportedly has made 350M+ off the 4 POTC's]

The Depp/Bruckheimer checks certainly have to be a large chunk of the budget, but 250 for a western should be enough to easily get the director fired. Is the LR going to going after aliens? They build a full town for Silverado and it's budget wouldn't translate to 250M 2011 dollars. Effects for 6 shooters can't be that much. Maybe they planned on blowing up tons of crap.

I'm glad. I grew up with Clayton Moore. He will forever be the LONE RANGER to me. No one else can replace him. The film probably would have been as bad as LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER.

I grew up with Adam West. He will forever be BATMAN to me. No one else can replace him. The film probably would have been as bad as BATMAN BEGINS.

Crap, tread this in the article:

"Halting tentpole movies is certainly is happening with more regularity in Hollywood lately. Universal recently halted production on a version of At The Mountains Of Madness that Guillermo del Toro was going to direct"

I know it was going to be a niche interest group film, but I was really looking forward to seeing this one. Dang!

I didn't care for Mountains as a book (Lovecraft doesn't do enough with character/dialogue for my tastes), but it would have made an awesome movie in Del Toro's hands. :(

In the end I feel pretty meh about this. Lone Ranger isn't a character I'm dying to see though I was interested to see what those involved would have done.

Honestly though, of the projects Johnny Depp is working on right now this one was far less worrying than Dark Shadows or The Night Stalker. I'm dreading to find out what recycled personalities he's going to use for Barnabas or Kolchak.

Why don't they just find an unknown instead of Johnny Depp? Not like we've seen too much of him lately or anything.

Anyway where's the love for the 1981 version with Klinton Spilsbury? :lol

The only movie that I want to see Johnny Depp in is a feature film of Sandman.
With Christina Ricci as Death.
Tim Burton at the helm.
Make it happen Hollywood!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back