Disney Pirate Cannons

theguitarman

I am interested in creating some "pirate cannons" much like you would find at the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in any Disney park. When I was there, I took some photos and checked them out, they definitely felt real. Not sure what they are made out of? I imagine that Disney could have had them custom forged. Or they could possibly be castings from concrete that were painted to look metallic.

Anyone with any inside information about what they actually are, or with any ideas to make a cannon that feels real? Don't really want to make them out of PVC pipe where they may look nice, but lose that authentic feel when you touch them. Thanks!

Cannons outside the building? Wire/stryrofoam and quickcrete, or another moulding/smoothing compound. Inside? (the ride itself): Fiberglass. Disneyland POTC may have had some real (iron) cannon in the early days, but those have (probably) all been replaced. Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom has always had replicas. FYI the cannons on Main Street Square are real. Anything on Tom Sawyer island is replica. Anything that looks like it actually fires (Fantasmic, POTC ships) are air cannon with a false build around it.

Cannons outside the building? Wire/stryrofoam and quickcrete, or another moulding/smoothing compound. Inside? (the ride itself): Fiberglass. Disneyland POTC may have had some real (iron) cannon in the early days, but those have (probably) all been replaced. Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom has always had replicas. FYI the cannons on Main Street Square are real. Anything on Tom Sawyer island is replica. Anything that looks like it actually fires (Fantasmic, POTC ships) are air cannon with a false build around it.
I am a few years late on seeing this, but thank you for the reply!!!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back