Disney 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea Crewman

Caliginous

I've recently been on a bit of a nostalgia kick and I decided to rewatch the 1954 Disney version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea starring Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Paul Lukas, and Peter Lorre. I fell in love with the costumes again and would really like to get a Nautilus Crewman's uniform done in time for Dragon*Con next year.

I'm not really sure where to begin, so I've taken a few screenshots of some crewmen and found a now-dead auction listing for a uniform used in a Disney ride that roughly details the uniform's materials. Below are some screen grabs I snagged from YouTube clips and the link to the ended auction listing.

Hake's - WALT DISNEY WORLD "20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA" NAUTILUS CREW/CAST MEMBER THEME PARK COSTUME.

If anyone has any insight or tips they'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, all!

- Danny

Screenshot (13).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 495
  • Screenshot (15).png
    Screenshot (15).png
    1 MB · Views: 509
  • Screenshot (16).png
    Screenshot (16).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,309
  • Screenshot (17).png
    Screenshot (17).png
    580.4 KB · Views: 640
  • Screenshot (19).png
    Screenshot (19).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,287
If you’re planning to build yourself, the best place to start is with the pattern. It’s a pretty basic turtleneck and pants pattern. The hat is a version of a toque. You can find very simple commercial patterns for all the pieces.

Then, build some mock ups to get the fit right. Once you’re happy with the fit, make the mods that are needed. Such as, adding the ‘wing’ around the sleeve cap, the flaps on the pant pockets, etc.

To get the right look, I would build this in a stretch wool or use a ponte for the top and similar weight wool for the pants and hat. I’d also recommend you put a short zipper in the back of the mock-turtleneck top so you can get a good fit around the neck (depending on the amount of stretch in the fabric).

HTH and happy building!

I've recently been on a bit of a nostalgia kick and I decided to rewatch the 1954 Disney version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea starring Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Paul Lukas, and Peter Lorre. I fell in love with the costumes again and would really like to get a Nautilus Crewman's uniform done in time for Dragon*Con next year.

I'm not really sure where to begin, so I've taken a few screenshots of some crewmen and found a now-dead auction listing for a uniform used in a Disney ride that roughly details the uniform's materials. Below are some screen grabs I snagged from YouTube clips and the link to the ended auction listing.

Hake's - WALT DISNEY WORLD "20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA" NAUTILUS CREW/CAST MEMBER THEME PARK COSTUME.

If anyone has any insight or tips they'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, all!

- Danny

View attachment 1065390
Those uniforms are definitely cool, and I would also love to have one! I know of three original diving helmets from the movie, and I have seen them in person. Two are in collections and one is in a museum. They are actually WW2 era Japanese diving helmets, that have all those extra (and non functional) fittings soldered on. They look really disappointing in person. As for the uniforms; my opinion is that the two burgundy cushioned trimming over the shoulders, were to cushion the weight of the diving helmet collar and gear. I find it disappointing that not a single crewman had any dialogue in the whole movie (except for the XO, who was also the only one clean shaven).

I just finished one...I made the pants from wool, a civil war pattern and attached the pocket flaps, also of red wool. I bought a dark blue cotton turtle neck shirt, and sewed on red twill tape with a foam tube inside to give it the dimension it needed, I made a civil war navy hat of dark blue wool and the same red twill tape for the band around it. I wanted to let people know (who haven't seen the movie) so I had "Nautalis" embroidered on the band (ships names were common on hats during that time, and well beyond), civil war brogans or boots to finish it off. Also, a plain leather belt and a civil war pouch.

Attachments

• Nautalis crew uniform.jpg
    Nautalis crew uniform.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 107
I just finished one...I made the pants from wool, a civil war pattern and attached the pocket flaps, also of red wool. I bought a dark blue cotton turtle neck shirt, and sewed on red twill tape with a foam tube inside to give it the dimension it needed, I made a civil war navy hat of dark blue wool and the same red twill tape for the band around it. I wanted to let people know (who haven't seen the movie) so I had "Nautalis" embroidered on the band (ships names were common on hats during that time, and well beyond), civil war brogans or boots to finish it off. Also, a plain leather belt and a civil war pouch.
Pretty cool! But you went to all that trouble, and still managed to spell “Nautilus” incorrectly.

Yes at WDW they used to have around a dozen replica Nautilus submarines for the submarine ride, and the Cast Members who worked on the ride wore costumes. But as a Disney employee myself I wouldn't expect the CM costumes to have much similarity to the film costumes.

You can't see him very well, but here's a CM on that ride.

Attachments

• wdwnautcrew.jpg
    wdwnautcrew.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Yes at WDW they used to have around a dozen replica Nautilus submarines for the submarine ride, and the Cast Members who worked on the ride wore costumes. But as a Disney employee myself I wouldn't expect the CM costumes to have much similarity to the film costumes.

They were very different than the film costumes.

Attachments

• 6051DFCA-D7E1-4449-8C52-02D6B8B63BA2.jpeg
    6051DFCA-D7E1-4449-8C52-02D6B8B63BA2.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 98
  • ADB771A3-E82E-4678-AA53-C988FAFDBC56.jpeg
    ADB771A3-E82E-4678-AA53-C988FAFDBC56.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 122

244767118_10159439399605561_1980600041150770021_n.jpg
245164746_10159442087675561_2395428189699589849_n.jpg

lol I actually did a take on CM outfits from DW for DCA's Oogies bash last year but yeah wayyyyy different then the movie

Those uniforms are definitely cool, and I would also love to have one! I know of three original diving helmets from the movie, and I have seen them in person. Two are in collections and one is in a museum. They are actually WW2 era Japanese diving helmets, that have all those extra (and non functional) fittings soldered on. They look really disappointing in person. As for the uniforms; my opinion is that the two burgundy cushioned trimming over the shoulders, were to cushion the weight of the diving helmet collar and gear. I find it disappointing that not a single crewman had any dialogue in the whole movie (except for the XO, who was also the only one clean shaven).
red trim is braided cord / stitched 'off' the shoulder. // the helmets are actually pre-war TOA pearl-diver (A/B) types: depth rated to 100ft (24 were purchased by Disney late 1953)

Attachments

• 53602038_1113629048816614_7627758842775863296_n.jpg
    53602038_1113629048816614_7627758842775863296_n.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
FANtatsik effort on your costume! // red shoulder trim is made of braided cord.

Attachments

• 51wPJqdsUZL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    51wPJqdsUZL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 53
the pouch(s) used for the film were different types of ACW replica

Attachments

• CW Ammo Pouch.jpg
    CW Ammo Pouch.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 43
Crew pants
I was browsing for Gone with the Wind era /Gentleman's attire at Western CostCo. (early/mid 1970s) & found pieces of 2x Officer uniforms: tunics & pants and 5to6 Crewman uniforms: caps, jackets, shirts & pants. (no belts, pouches or boots) // I became a Disney 20K FANatik soon afterward - which is when I immediately started to Kick myself everyday - for not buying All of It!!!

This image is 1 of my facebook avatars: me wearing my friends original screen-used 20K Baldy dive-helmet. ( It was in Great shape!!! ) // My RPF avatar shows me holding my scratchbuilt 1/35th scale Nautilus Propeller. / I host the Nautilus by Goff facebook group (over 1000 members including a few past & present Disney Imagineers ): NAUTILUS by GOFF / 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea {1954} | Facebook

Attachments

• Baldy+Me.jpg
    Baldy+Me.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I was browsing for Gone with the Wind era /Gentleman's attire at Western CostCo. (early/mid 1970s) & found pieces of 2x Officer uniforms: tunics & pants and 5to6 Crewman uniforms: caps, jackets, shirts & pants. (no belts, pouches or boots) // I became a Disney 20K FANatik soon afterward - which is when I immediately started to Kick myself everyday - for not buying All of It!!!
Reefer jackets…..not “tunics”.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back