Disney’s “real” lightsaber in action

SethS

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Tried unsuccessfully to save this video, but it was baked into needing a Facebook or insta account to view. I ended up just point my phone at my monitor.

Original video came from Clonetroopergear on instagram.

The ignition looks cool, if not a little slow. She obviously swaps it for a traditional FX saber when she stoops down.

Attachments

• IMG_2665.MOV
    18.5 MB
It looks like they are blowing up a balloon. It's not fast enough. I think Vader's lightsaber might ignite slower, but that's still too slow.

Seems pretty fantastic for the intended audience (which is definitely not me.)

And in looking briefly at how igniting looks in the films, it’s hugely variable as far as speed, but this seems pretty much the same as both Vader in Rogue One and Obi-Wan in the ANH duel with Vader. Really convincing especially at the audience distance, I imagine.

It’s the sort of thing I always wanted as a kid playing with the plastic toys. Too bad it’ll probably never be cheap enough to sell to consumers.

It’s old news. It’s been discussed in various forum threads back when it showed up in February especially since we have been talking about this Disney theatrical lightsaber for about a year or two.

Here is some original reporting when it first debuted.

It is supposed to be improved upon…

There are ways they can figure out how to make the saber swap more smooth and fluid. Reminds me of how Luke swaps the lit stick saber to unlit hilt in Empire. I didn't notice it myself until it was pointed out to me.

There are ways they can figure out how to make the saber swap more smooth and fluid. Reminds me of how Luke swaps the lit stick saber to unlit hilt in Empire. I didn't notice it myself until it was pointed out to me.
I was thinking that Kylo could could do a Force move with his hand that caused stage smoke to erupt from a nearby panel. This would cover the cast member long enough to turn back to where she entered and have another cast member hand her the other hilt to swap out.

Probably because it has to be doable for multiple Rey actors who may be hired for their looks over their stunt ability. Also, what level of “stunt” can they do insurance and liability wise before it gets complicated legally?

But yeah, there’s so many more ways the could do a hand off.

It's so clumsy. She might as well drop the thing and then pick up the stunt version. It's an easy enough fix and if an actor can handle choreographed dueling moves they can just as easily learn a better move to switch between them. Kylo could approach, swing at her, at which point she could duck out of range, grab the stunt saber and off they go. Simple. No wall necessary.

I still watch this video and laugh though. Star Wars dinner theater. Oh man. :lol:

E804FCE4-4BC4-4006-9867-A6B6A637317C.jpeg
67CE8F3B-5F50-4EE9-97AF-79A7C934D3A2.jpeg
B00D0528-D515-41C0-862B-6B818B4A3B95.jpeg

Just make her walk behind a short wall or enclosed corridor as she advances towards the bad guy and swap the sabers as she walks behind the wall.

Problem solved.

The current transition between the two lightsabers is just laughably bad.
Doesn't need to even be a wall, a vertical column would suffice, with magnetic holders in a cubby.
And combine that with an audience misdirection.

I still watch this video and laugh though. Star Wars dinner theater. Oh man. :lol:
We’re living in the worst timeline.

When people say that Star Wars was better off with Lucasfilm, I just remember this:

It was bad with them and it is bad now.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back