Disguise Thor Mjolnir Upgrade

I worked a good bit on the pattern before I made any cuts. Once I was happy with it I traced the pattern on to the leather for each piece. Then I cut them all out, checking each one to make sure everyrhing matched up. I was happy with the result!

Once I saw the screen used hammer though, I opted for a solid piece of leather with the silver sections added on top (using the same pattern and a silver sharpie! :lol)

Once I saw the screen used hammer though, I opted for a solid piece of leather with the silver sections added on top (using the same pattern and a silver sharpie! :lol)

Now that is a good idea!! With the disguise mjolnir I have noticed its about 16" in length how much long is your handle compared the original one?

Thanks Chris

When the Profiles In History auction catalog came out, it had the exact dimensions, so i based it off that. Surprisingly enough, the Disguise hammer is pretty spot on I regards to size

you saying that shocks me as the SU prop looks a lot bigger then 16" but awesome as this is next on my long list of replicas but its a fair cheap conversion

Nice conversion, but I'd work on the paint/look of the "mud"... I'm sorry to say, but it literally looks like crap. And I'm not saying that to bash it. Maybe add some Structure to it and take a less brown approach for the finish?! Just trying to be helpful

:lol

So funny you say that, my wife said the same thing! Since that picture was taken I have roughed it up a bit and repainted with more black areas. I would like to add some dirt to give it some texture too, at some point.

I worked a good bit on the pattern before I made any cuts. Once I was happy with it I traced the pattern on to the leather for each piece. Then I cut them all out, checking each one to make sure everyrhing matched up. I was happy with the result!

That is indeed a very good idea ! I'll keep it in mind if something goes wrong when glueing my straps.

This is so awesome. I think I am going to attempt this for a b-day gift for my buddy. He made himself an AMAZING foam Thor Armor, with no templates mind you, and cape. The only thing that wasnt great was his hammer. His Bday is next month so I better get working :)

This is a great mod. Thanks for confirming that the size is almost perfect. My wife pointed out these at Toy R Us just a few days ago... So I have something other than Captain America to work on.

Is your shield a steel saucer painted movie style? I have one on the way from Amazon and hope to do similar.

All you need is Nick Fury's pistol and you have the making of the Avengers desk.
Edit:http://www.tomspinadesigns.com/custom-themed-furniture-The-Avengers-Movie-prop-desk.html

Last edited:
You might try adding a lighter shade of brown to it, kinda like a wet, slightly tan brown, into maybe some of the crevices, to break up the solid brown color.. Black doesn't really break up a solid color that much, unless your dry brushing and want the crevices to stand out more. Mud, I've always believed, are multiple shades of brown mixed together in a weird but specific way.. The brown you used just seems too dark, which gives it that pile of dog feces appearance. I think if you gradually added lighter brown shades to it going from the outside into the crevices it would break it up enough to make it look like mud.. Just don't go so far as to add white lol.. Then it'll just look like it's a drying turd.

Thanks for the tip! It really is hard to see in pictures, but there are several shades of brown there. I started with a base of tan, then worked my way up to the darker brown, then finally used the black lightly for low lights and around the "crater" at the top.

The browns you used are probably too "closely related" and thats why it looks so dark, especially with a flash.Maybe try a lighter brown coating, more like.. Umm.. Clay mud colored.. Not the reddish clay kind..

Beautiful!! Im still getting shocked by the amazing props on here!! I just ordered a hammer and added it to my mental queue of projects.. They just keep coming!!:lol

When I look at that Thor movie pic, that does not look like its stuck in mud to me.. it looks like its stuck into rock of some kind. (And let's face it, mud would fall apart from anyone tugging at it.)

I'd use a dremel, and add flat spots, and build off the paint you have, adding in more grayish rock like colors.

Love the hammer upgrade, BTW!

When I look at that Thor movie pic, that does not look like its stuck in mud to me.. it looks like its stuck into rock of some kind. (And let's face it, mud would fall apart from anyone tugging at it.)

I'd use a dremel, and add flat spots, and build off the paint you have, adding in more grayish rock like colors.

Love the hammer upgrade, BTW!

Regardless if its mud or not, that's not the issue. The issue is that one has to be deemed "worthy to possess the power of Thor". Yes it IS mud/dirt/rock whatever, because of the crater is formed when it landed on earth. Dirt + rain = mud

NO ONE (even Hulk in the Avengers) can pick it up because they aren't worthy.

Regardless if its mud or not, that's not the issue.

Yeah, it IS the issue, if you are recreating a prop from a movie. The hammer's properties do not matter at all in prop recreation. What matters is duplicating what was seen on the screen.

Look at the pile the hammer is in. What color is it, and what texture does it have?

Look at the ground behind Thor, which is clearly mud. Do those look identical to you? The pillar the hammer rests on looks more like some volcanic rock to me than anything else, possibly to replicate the heat from impact fusing rock together.

awesome hammer, I would however do some other layers of paint on your rock, it's now still kind of plastic looking

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back