Disguise Thor Mjolnir Upgrade

Oh, sure... You can get any kind of leather from them by the square foot from their site. As far as scraps go, you can buy a "remnant bag" online, but that is a crapshoot on what you'll get, and if you'll get matching pieces. If you have a store near you, I would think that would be your best bet

Oh, sure... You can get any kind of leather from them by the square foot from their site. As far as scraps go, you can buy a "remnant bag" online, but that is a crapshoot on what you'll get, and if you'll get matching pieces. If you have a store near you, I would think that would be your best bet

Im using your build for my inspiration as well, but tell me how did you accomplish those stiches? and what type of lacing is it, and lastly what is holding the leather to the wood? Thanks again!

I just got some simple leather lacing at Hobby Lobby. I punched holes in each piece, then super glued one end of the lacing to the underside of one piece. I then threaded the lace through each hole like I was lacing a shoe. On the last hole I super glued to the underside again to complete the stitching.

To attach to the wood, I slid the laced piece onto the handle into position, then placed a couple drops of super glue under the leather. Easy!

Loving the pics!!!

With regard to the handle, did the table leg have a screw in the end for you to attach it to the head or did you use some adheasive?

I was thinking of painting the hammer head on mine but like the black highlights so I'm not sure which way to go now. :confused

Cool job on the "mud". Did you use a brown gloss?

Thanks! Hopefully they can help you out :)

To attach the handle I drilled a quarter inch hole into the top of the handle, and then inserted a quarter inch dowel that was glued in place. The dowel then went into the head, into a hole that was drilled into the foam, and glued in place there.

For the mud, I painted it with a base coat of tan, then the brown, and then used black for lowlights

...and painted today! Just need to add some trim to finish the base and paint it!

2012-02-22171822.jpg

2012-02-22171835.jpg

2012-02-22171850.jpg

2012-02-22171903.jpg
Awesome prop, damn well done!

really nice!
how did you fill in the/smooth out the mold seams on the base hammer head?
also, what paint did you use? looks great!

I trimmed down the seams with an exacto, then sanded, and skimmed the surface with spot putty to smooth everything out. For paint, I primed it, put on a basecoat of silver, and then topped it off with a light dusting coat of a darker Gunmetal to give more of a stone look

What foam did you use? I was thinking of filling mine in and making a "mud" base myself, but I have no idea what type of foam to use/get or where from. Was it the same foam for both filling in the hammer and making the base? And what kind was it? Great job none the less!!

I used 'Great Stuff' expandable foam. You can find it pretty much anywhere. I got mine at Lowes, but I've seen it at Wal-Mart too

Seems like it's a classic trinity ! The exact three props I'm making for myself :)
But how did you achieve such a clean result with the leather straps on Mjolnir ? Every single one of the eleven I got on my hammer are slightly different, despite all my efforts when cutting them... I even lost (temporarily I hope !) all feeling in the tip in my finger by holding the scissors so tight !
Anyway, great work on all three of them !

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back