Disguise Thor Mjolnir Upgrade

Kevin Gossett

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Back around Halloween, Target was selling the Disguise Thor Mjolnir hammer for $10. $10! So I grabbed a few, and sent a couple off in the PiF, and kept one for myself. Seeing a couple other threads pop up using the same hammer for displays, I wanted to try my hand at it.

First off, the hammer:

1025465.jpg

It's actually a pretty decent piece on its own. But it does have its flaws... There are noticeable seam lines. It is very light weight and flimsy. And the handle is poorly painted cheap plastic.

So my plan was to make some improvements in those areas!

I trimmed down the seam lines using a hobby knife, and then sanded the entire head. I didn't care too much for the paint job that was on it, down the line it will get repainted. Next, I wanted to foam fill the head to give it more density (without adding too much weight). Having never used an expanding foam before, I didn't want to risk the foam expanding too much and bulging out the sides of the head. So I built a simple box to contain everything while the foam was doing its thing

2012-01-27113938.jpg

2012-01-27113953.jpg

After filling the head with what I thought was a good amount of foam, I nailed down the top of the box so even pressure was kept on all sides of the head while the foam cured. The next day, I popped the top off of the box and removed the head, perfectly in tact (although the box was probably unnecessary, I felt good about it!)

2012-01-27114014-1.jpg

Next up for the head is to do a little spot puttying, sand, primer, sand, and final paint.

Taking a break from the head, I wanted to move on to the handle. As I mentioned before, the handle is all plastic, and poorly painted:

2012-02-08230959.jpg

I knew I wanted to completely scrap the handle and start from scratch. Luckily, the handle is only slightly screwed in to the head with a small dab of glue. A little pressure, and it twists right out. I will still keep the same design on the handle, but I will be using a wood base wrapped in leather.

Perusing Lowe's, I came across this:

2012-01-31102706.jpg

A replacement table leg! It was the perfect diameter, and had a nice taper to it. It was all together 36" inches in length, but I only needed a good 11" section. I decided I wanted the thickest part of the handle to have a 1 1/2" diameter, which is exactly what the thickest part of the table leg was. I marked off 11", and cut it to size.

Next, I went in to my local Tandy Leather store to look at my leather options. I had looked at some craft stores first, but their selection just wasn't what I was looking for. At Tandy, selection was not a problem. I was looking for 1" strips of a nice, dark brown leather, but came up short. They had some belt blanks, but that was just too think for the task. I came across their scrap bin, and started poking around. They sell their scraps for $9.99 a pound (at least this location does), so I found several pieces of matching leather and went on my way. I got just over a pound of leather, which would be more than enough for handle.

I measured the circumference of the thickest part of the new handle, and cut several strips of leather to that length. Initially I wanted to do the strips 1" thick, but I opted to do them 1.5" instead.

2012-02-08231026.jpg

Using the plastic handle as a guide, I made a template out of cardstock for the shape of each strip, then traced that onto the leather and began cutting:

2012-02-08231135.jpg

2012-02-08231113.jpg

Before I attach the leather to the handle, I need to paint it silver first. I was going to do that tonight, but it's a bit too cold out for painting right now, so I'll tackle that tomorrow. Here is how it will look:

2012-02-08231237.jpg

2012-02-08231422.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how I think this will turn out! Once I get the handle painted, I will attach the strips and finish it off

Last edited:
One of my favorite scenes from the movie was when Thor finds his hammer "stuck in the mud" and tries to pull it out, but cannot as he is not worthy.

Thor%20hammer1.jpg

Then I saw a couple others on here post up their "stuck in the mud" displays and knew I had to do the same!

I will be using the same method of using expanding foam to create the "mud" texture, but I won't be making mine as big. It will just be size of your typical display stand, so it can sit on a shelf when completed.

Last edited:
I have done something simular, however instead of filling the hammer with expansion foam i used fiberglass resin and weighted the hammer so it will lay in the tilted position all on its own.

Lookin' good man...I need to eventually do a base for mine as well. I did something similar but not nearly as nice as mocking up a wooden box, I just took some wood pieces and heavy stuff and shoved it up against the wallto keep it from warping while the foam expanded.

For the price of these, they are very well suited for upgrade experiments.
I remember when they first hit the net for orders and sold out everywhere (this was right when the movie came out) and then went for a ton of money on Ebay!
Of course, Halloween time rolled in and the hammers were readily and cheaply available everywhere. It pays to be patient.
Keep up the good work - I'm curious to see how this turns out!

This is great. I've been meaning to do this aswell to mine. Looking forward to its awesome completion buddy

Quick update on the handle progress:

Starting to stich the pieces together and place them...
2012-02-16132105.jpg

Comparison of the original handle and mine
2012-02-16140814.jpg

And we're all done!
2012-02-16143311.jpg

All that is left is to spot putty and sand the head, then prime it and paint it. I'll tackle that later tonight/tomorrow. Then I'll finish up the stand, and it will be ready for the prop party on Saturday!

Here is an updated picture of the hammer sitting on the unfinished base (from the NTX prop party this weekend)

DSC01435-1.jpg

Just need to finish shaping the base and paint it!

Man that turned out pretty cool. I've been working on doing something similar to mine but I had been doing it with just a pvc pipe handle. Where did you get the leather for this? I'd like to give it a shot.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back