Disguise Elite Avengers Costumes

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by spiderfan11, Apr 26, 2012.

1. spiderfan11

spiderfan11 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey guys, thought I'd start a thread on this as I haven't seen one yet. I noticed on buycostumes.com that they recently added some "elite" edition costumes for the avengers. Now I know rubies is usually known for crap, crap, and more crap, but it's always curious when they have these types of things. The pics look good, but the question always is: do they measure up in person? And the answer is usually no...

The Avengers Thor Elite Adult Costume - Costumes, 802632

The Avengers Captain America Elite Adult Costume - Costumes, 802634

The Avengers Black Widow Elite Adult Costume - Costumes, 802652

And the iron man one which doesn't have a pic yet:
    The Avengers Iron Man Mark VII Elite Adult Costume - Costumes, 802636

Discuss!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. justinbauler

justinbauler Well-Known Member

Re: Rubies Elite Avengers Costumes

pretty pricey imo

should be interested to see what the iron man looks like

3. justinbauler

non studio/manipulated photos will make it or break it

4. spiderfan11

Exactly, sadly it often takes someone buying these items to get those. I too am curious to see what the IM one looks like. Out of all of them that would be the one I'm most interested in if it looks like a decent and cheap alternative.

And yeah, I'm sure they are WAY to expensive for what the buyer would get.

5. usconcept

usconcept Well-Known Member

I'd be more interested if they made a S.H.I.E.L.D. costume

6. justinbauler

It really wouldnt surprise me if the iron man costume was the same as last years...flimsy helmet, plastic light up chest piece, and flimsy half leg covers

scott33775 likes this.
  7. Dirty

Dirty Member

I have been victim to a Rubies deluxe suit and was pretty ashamed at the quality up close and as a wearable product. Helmet was nothing like pictured but a little modification and it looked 20% better but all in all I am not a fan of thier products. You are paying for a name brand and not quality IMO

8. justinbauler

i have researched it and in all honesty if your making an IM suit, the chest piece would look pretty good if done right

9. rockeagle2001

rockeagle2001 Well-Known Member

why are the costumes for guys always only in xL

10. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

The best looking one of the bunch is the Black Widow costume but I think may be mostly because it actually fits the model like it should.

11. justinbauler

im very interested to see more pics of all 4

12. Captainjaze

Captainjaze Active Member

These are actually Disguise items, NOT Rubies and here they are:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!!:)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  13. justinbauler

I dont think the iron man costume is the elite one though. looks like the basic aduly costume from a few years back

14. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There is no way for anyone to wear the Thor costume and NOT look like a member POISON.

15. justinbauler

haha this

they better get that iron man picture up soon

16. justinbauler

[​IMG]

example of official licensed iron man plastic chest piece with a foam suit

17. spiderfan11

That actually looks pretty nice. The only problem is you'd be paying $200 just to get the chest piece and then whatever else to make the rest of the suit, so you'd be better off just saving the $200 to make your own chest piece.

18. justinbauler

maybe the new deluxe this year will be better...one can hope

19. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

a few thoughts on these:

the black widdow costume looks really good. but you would need the fitting body to go with it, it looks like its custom made for the model.

thor has various things that strike me: it looks like its just the chest fitted to a shirt, theres no detail on the sides. the sleeves are just silver no pattern or barely visible. the gauntlets are strapped on with elastic band, and it has red fabric under it that is baggy. the pants look ok

the cap helmet looks way off to me, ears are so far back. abs section has no definition, gloves look like red silk gloves, same with the gauntlets like thor. also the boot covers look really weird. the jacket and the pants look ok, not perfect but close.

if the retail products resemble the photos, it seems like its an ok-ish price. especially for people who dont know how to sew, and want a cap costume

20. OliverQueenIND

OliverQueenIND Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a official chest with s foam suit. I think it's the marvel ironman appearance costume. Like seen at the premier

21. callmemilo

callmemilo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Black Widow's suit looks pretty decent, I suppose. As does Thor with the exception of the sleeves. But Cap's isn't all that accurate. They've got the jist of it, but not taken the time to figure out the details. Shame that, but what do we expect from Rubies anymore.

On the whole I'd say these could make quite decent suits though, if modded in the right ways. Maybe I'm being a tad too much of a perfectionist lol.

22. Web_Slinger

Web_Slinger Active Member

I've spent about an hour reading reviews of other suits that site sells and tbh i wouldn't waist money on any suits from that site, they have a thing for taking photos of the suits or masks at specific angles to make the items look a million times better then they are.

23. spiderfan11

It's not the site's fault, I'm pretty sure all those pics are from the costume companies themselves.

OliverQueenIND, if this suit were truly like the appearance suit, I'd be all over that for $300, I doubt that it would be.

EDIT: Unless you were referring to the one in the picture posted by justinbauler. I don't think that's the appearance suit, you can see big differences in the material from the chest to the rest of the suit. Here's the appearance suit:
    [​IMG]

24. justinbauler

yeah Im quite positive the picture I posted is fan made suit with the chest piece and shoulder bells. the rest of the the suit looks pep/foam. Not too sure about that helmet though

25. justinbauler

Im tempted to buy now....this is NOT my image or own this suit. but its a great picture of the official suit from last year

[​IMG]

26. usconcept

The glove is horrid.. the attachment looks like its falling off

27. spiderfan11

It's too bad these costume companies don't give that extra bit of effort to take this from an OK costume to a good one. The chest looks cool, if only they would have done that for the rest of the suit, like that licensed Master Chief costume. Sure it's more expensive, but I'd be more willing to save up for that that pay less for a mediocre costume.

28. thomdave

thomdave Active Member

Justin,
    The Iron Man and Cap photo you posted from SDCC last summer is of actors hired by Marvel Appearances for official events.

Although the company contracted to make costumes for Marvel does a pretty good job, the attention to detail does not come close to those made by hardcore fans.
    Thom

29. justinbauler

I guess I stand corrected. But the point Im trying to get at is a costume like this...

[​IMG]

which is the deluxe mass produced costume doesnt look too bad

30. spiderfan11

Agreed^ it's still just too bad they don't add a few more pieces of plastic armor so the rest of it doesn't look like the other crappy costumes. Because the chest on that suit looks really good for what it is.

31. Verbal21

Verbal21 Active Member

I'll be the guinea pig for the Cap suit since no one is making one right now. I'm hopeful it'll look "good enough" for a few Halloween parties this year.

32. justinbauler

be sure to post pictures. if there is ever a released image for the iron man deluxe ill be the guinea pig for that one. but i have yet to see a released image

33. justinbauler

oh man, just read the price. $308. it better look somewhat decent...

34. hoplite318

hoplite318 Member

I'm really curious about the Black Widow suit for my girlfriend. Good points about them using models that actually fit the suits really well. My concern is that while she has the same build/frame as the model in the pic, she's only 5'4". Still, I think it would be easier for me to take that as a base and tailor it.

It's just really hard to tell what the material is like. It looks pretty good adn sturdy, kind of like neoprene, which would be good. It's a good chunk of change to fork out it it sucks, though. Guess I could return it if it was really awful...

35. Stretch2643

Stretch2643 Member

That's what I was thinking too, but the site says it's a poly-spandex blend. I might spend the money if it was a fabric that I couldn't just get at Joann's, but I think I might wait for the reviews on this on now...

36. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

nice base suit for a start of a costume!

37. usconcept

Has anyone purchased the "theatrical quality" version of the Captain America suit? Reviews?

38. toddslightning

toddslightning New Member

39. timiglide007

timiglide007 Member

I just saw this suit a few hours ago on ebay and was thinking it would be a solid base suit. Unfortunately they didn't have my size I would need the Male Tween 38-40" chest for the best fit! Please keep this thread going esp. if someone pics one up!?

40. annet52

annet52 Active Member

I got the Disguise Black Widow Costume, I was highly disappointed, doesn't look like the picture at all, first of all there is a ugly patent leather shiny trim on the front of the suit along the seams, the buckle on the belt is flimsy thin plastic, the taser discs are rubber as is the widow bite bracelets. I am still going to use the suit as a base going to cover up the trim somehow or add new trim, made a new buckle and going to use a new belt too (2 inch)as the one that came with it is 1 1/2 inch, the belt for the holster is good enough to use and modify. My husband is making me more detail parts for the outfit.

41. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

would you mind posting pics?

42. Captainjaze

Captainjaze Active Member

Yeah My wife also got this costume and if its as bad as you say it is......Are the Boot Covers crap too? Pics please?:)

43. Verbal21

Verbal21 Active Member

still awaiting in-hand pics before I pull the trigger on one of these. I know it's not gonna be great, but I do have pretty mid-expectations though

44. grey matter

grey matter Active Member

i also got the black widow suit for my wife and i actually like it. yes, the trim is shiny and not 100% screen accurate by any means, but still a great BW suit. the shield emblems are great. the belts are all garbage (got all real belts), there are no holsters for guns (bought those too), the belt pouch things are so low quality that they are laughable, and the widow's bites are worse (way too small {not long enough}, made of terrible rubber), the boot covers are ok, but way to big, i may mod them to work though. i really like the fabric of the costume though, it is nice and flattering. i'll have to get her to put it all on again and take some pics for you all to check them out.

45. annet52

annet52 Active Member

46. FedEx123

FedEx123 Member

lol @ poison comment

47. annet52

annet52 Active Member

Here are some better pictures The suit and the accessories it came with, I didn't take a picture of the belts. The emblems are not bad, however they are not left and right, they both point the same way but do-able!

48. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

My Elite Captain will be here tomorrow. I can post pics if you like.

49. IceTray

IceTray New Member

My girlfriend really likes the Black Widow costume, the suit itself is pretty good. The material is better than expected. Echoing most comments though, the bites, buckles, and most accessories are pretty garbage - the boot covers are okay though, since the boots shes using are thick, the covers dont hang loose.

The suit also looks weird in my opinion when it's not on someone, it kinda looks like a kids spacesuit or something, gives a false idea of its overall look lol. I'll see if I can post up a pic of my girlfriend wearing the suit, just as comparison.

Overall, if anyone's going for details, you might want to consider making some proper accessories, the suit itself is good.. just seems like they skimped hard on the accessories portion of the costume

50. Graphic Jordan

Graphic Jordan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I for one, would love to see the quality. Curiosity has this cat. ha! Do some suit up pics too, seeing it off a body is one thing, but on is another story.