Disguise AVENGERS THOR Hammer UPGRADE

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Captainjaze, May 7, 2012.

1. Captainjaze

Captainjaze Active Member

I have already started on the DISGUISE THOR HAMMER that i think everyone can agree, wasn't up to par! So I made a few changes to it to better fit the AVENGERS! This is a mod EVERYONE can do. More pics to come!
    [​IMG]

Finished:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  2. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Re: Disguise AVENGERS THOR Costume Build(WIP)

Looks great mate!!!! Nice display...and looking forward to seeing what you'll do with the Thor outfit after you receive it :)

3. fletch1

fletch1 New Member

the hammer looks quality!

4. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wondering how nice the new "theatrical" costumes will look from Disguise. Stock photos always look good, so hopefully these look just as good in person - not bad for a licensed Halloween costume.

5. Captainjaze

As bad as some people say that these are, They are actually ALOT more accurate that ive seen most try to do themselves. Even if they come out just decent when you receive one, this can still serve as a great base for many of us wanting to do this build. I have an idea for the new coloring of it just for starters, so i photoshopped what it could look like with a few color changes. I will be completely re-doing arms:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for the HAMMER, its still a WIP, however it is coming along..i sure many are eager to get the EFX THOR HAMMER, But some of us can't wait that long.
    So this is a simple alternative in the meantime & is actually quite satisfying in real life! More pictures of How to simply paint your own Disguise THOR HAMMER!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  6. justinbauler

justinbauler Well-Known Member

Re: Disguise AVENGERS THOR Elite Costume Build(WIP)

have they released any images of the iron man suit yet?

7. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

IM is the one costume that is tough for a Halloween costume maker to nail with any level of authenticity IMO

8. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

nice hammer I'm doing my own.. did you repaint the original handle? as IMHO the handle was terrible with the one I got but you've done a great job reworking it!

9. Captainjaze

Thanks Chris! Yes, this IS the Original Handle painted with a thick Bronze/Brown, taped off the end of the handle and Chromed it as well as the head of the Hammer itself(Chrome Spray Paint).

Then after several coats of Bronze/Brown Spray Paint, I took a very tiny brush and hand painted in the grooves of the handle Silver(Acrylic paint) , then outlined each groove with a Sharpie, 2 Top Coats of Clear!

The Head of the Hammer is then finished with a light BLACK-WASH and Top Coat as well and then, your DONE!

Super Easy Modification, maybe took me 30 minutes of work and a few hours of drying time! Well worth it!

This Hammer is a GREAT size and will make me look all the more THOR!!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  10. Chris27989

Re: Disguise AVENGERS THOR Hammer Conversion

are you going to add some weight to the hammer head as I thought it was a little too light what is your thoughts on it ?

11. Captainjaze

It was incredibly light at first but with the amount of layers of paint adds a comfortable amount of weight to it without being too heavy.

I wanted to order the EFX Avengers THOR Hammer, but that may take a bit longer than expected.

If someone wanted, they could add a little Foam to it inside the Head of the Hammer as some on the Boards have already done.

Its actually a good mold with a crap paint app. Tweeked correctly, and this Hammer is actually quite impressive for the price and time constraints.:)

12. Chris27989

yeh thats what i thought it was a reasonable price to modify and make more accurate! I was thinking of using resin on the inside to thicken the hammer walls and then add foam

13. Captainjaze

If someone wanted to, they could add more of a rasied resin look to the handle grooves to make it look more Avengers as seen below in the EFX Version: New Chromed Based and a Chromed Tip.
    [​IMG]

With all the talent on these boards im surprised no one is trying this direction...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  14. Captainjaze

And it is almost Ready....
    [​IMG]

Raised Grips(Former Grooves)

Sanded down the "molded Laces"

Redesigned Handle

15. AsgardAssassin

AsgardAssassin Active Member

i'm sorry to be ignorant but what do you mean by sanding down the moulded laces?
    I've been searching all over the UK and finally got my hands on one of these!
    also, when you repainted the hammer, did you tape of the scroll details and leave as is, or repaint those also?
    thanks

16. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You can see the "stitches" in this photo

[​IMG]

They are molded as part of the handle, so for this mod they have to be sanded down

17. Deathstalker II

Deathstalker II Well-Known Member

Captainjaze - that is SWEETNESS. I'm in the midst of a similar mod and I gotta' ask - how did you do the raised handle lines on your amended build?

18. AsgardAssassin

Could someone please help a noob painter as to how to do a black wash?

19. metalzeus

metalzeus Active Member

I'm planning of doing the same thing once i get a hammer

20. AsgardAssassin

CaptainJaze
    What did you use to raise the laces and do you have any more images?

21. chuckyAPP

chuckyAPP Sr Member

A wash is thinned down paint that is applied to produce a translucent effect or to fill in details on the surface. I use acrylic paint and add water with a drop of dishwashing soap added. The soap breaks up surface tension and prevents the wash from drying unevenly unless that's the look you're going for. Acrylic paint and Windex also works well, just make the paint the consistency of skim milk.

Awesome modifications on the hammer as well, really love these wips. :)

22. AsgardAssassin

Thank you so much for that. I'll be practicing my technique then prior to actually giving it a go on my hammer. I was planning to just wash the scroll detail areas. I think that's the way forward!

23. Deathstalker II

Deathstalker II Well-Known Member

tom9984 - I like the Windex version chucky mentioned. If you just want to do the scrolled areas, mask them off with some tape and you're good to go.

Also - if you've not noticed by now - you can practice right on the hammer - because if you don't like how it came out, it comes off pretty easily. You'll defintely have to seal it once you're done.

I still wanna' know how Captainjaze did the raised detail on the handle... :)

24. loly2kn2

loly2kn2 Active Member

I was thinking of trying the raised detail with sculpey.

Bake it very low and the vinyl will probably melt. Or an air drying clay.

Lawrence

25. chuckyAPP

chuckyAPP Sr Member

Two part epoxy putty is the way to go there. Air drying clay will crack right off and there is no way your going to bake sculpey on that handle without it warping.

26. jrpage74

jrpage74 Member

Excellent tips and tricks in this thread so far. Very helpful and inspirational.

27. JoshMosh

JoshMosh New Member

I have to thank you for this upgrade info. I used this method plus milliput to raise the grooves and sculpt a new butt. Thanks for the ideas!

[​IMG]

28. wildhorse

wildhorse New Member

This is a really awesome hammer! Very impressive:)

29. TBONE2402

TBONE2402 New Member

Awesome work, thinking of making one myself now!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk