Discussion time! Who displays props and who actually used props for their intended purpose.

Not to be a stickler for detail, but don't you mean prop replicas? A prop's "intended purpose" would actually be use in a movie :rolleyes:

But to answer you question: some of my replicas are in display cases, etc, not to be touched while others are available for handling. There is no hard and fast rule for any of it.

The only things in a glass cabinet is my toy robot collection, because it's quite annoying to dust and it's in the living room so it would need dusting a lot.
Everything else is either just out on shelves, or the unbreakable bits just end up where ever i put them down.
I have a "model" room for whatever i am working on, for the more breakable finished bits and bobs and other things nicer things i don't want to dust. Oh and the 3d printer is in there too.

I handle most of the stuff a lot because it's just there, sometimes it's in the way. Gonk is always in the way.

I don't think I play with the items, but once I have finished making something, I will have been holding it for Days/Weeks/Months.
The Rogue One E11, E11D and E22 prob get picked up for no good reason most at the moment as they have tactical lights, but i don't think "pewing" is involved :)

Not to be a stickler for detail, but don't you mean prop replicas? A prop's "intended purpose" would actually be use in a movie :rolleyes:

But to answer you question: some of my replicas are in display cases, etc, not to be touched while others are available for handling. There is no hard and fast rule for any of it.

You are on RPF since 2006 and you've never seen before members here using the term "prop" for short, instead of "prop replica"? Just look at the replies in this thread alone, to see what I'm talking about.

You are on RPF since 2006 and you've never seen before members here using the term "prop" for short, instead of "prop replica"? Just look at the replies in this thread alone, to see what I'm talking about.
Yes, I do know. That's why I used an emoji. Although some of us have actual props we built for fan films and production made props. I'm not sure about the intended use of a replica. For something intended to be a display, "use" is a bit of a misnomer.

My collection is strictly blaster replicas and I handle them all the time. I also handle my real firearms frequently, but that's just to remain familiar with their operation/safety.

Most of my stuff is on display in such a way that people can grab it and play with it a bit and (as long as they ask first/don't start swinging swords around) I'm fine with that. the SMALL number of items that I don't really want messed with are inside of locked cases and can be viewed pretty clearly from outside of those cases.
I'll ocassionally make an exception and remove an item or two if someone REALLY wants to see one.

My house is small so only one or two items are on display. Everything else is safely tucked away though I often remove them and play with them.

Since I make all my own replicas, I usually make two. I've got the rugged well built / rough one I use regularly. Then once I figure out all the details and what I did wrong etc. on the first one I make a really nice second one for display only.

I have most of my props on display in my home theater room (yeah, I don't let kids around it) on the shelves under posters, etc. and some stuff in a half-bath off the theater ("MagnaTRON" Home Theater Room With Movie Props) .

So yeah, it's definitely not under glass (save the Hellraiser Lament Configuration Box which is under glass for a damn good reason! There was an accident....a friend came over and started playing with it and I'm still trying to get the plaster right again and had to change all the carpet and redo the whole home theater basically.... my god what a mess. Pinhead wouldn't let me take his picture after he made the mess either...the *******!) ;)

Both? It's somewhat difficult to use lightsaber props "as intended" but I also utilize a fair amount of my collection. Some of the costume pieces get their occasional use, my HJ Poet is worn regularly in all weather, and my footwear gets enough traffic to wear I should probably redo the artificial weathering on a number of my boots.

I handle my sabers sometimes but they live behind glass. Helmets, I really never touch as Im worried they’ll take a spill or get chipped. They also stay behind glass so they don’t get too dusty.

I have a mouse droid that hangs out underneath an HIC on the wall. They’ve become part of the room and are accessible.

I handle my sabers sometimes but they live behind glass. Helmets, I really never touch as Im worried they’ll take a spill or get chipped. They also stay behind glass so they don’t get too dusty.

I have a mouse droid that hangs out underneath an HIC on the wall. They’ve become part of the room and are accessible.

I’ve seen your showroom in photos, Ben. It looks awesome. I’m always jealous when I see it.
I often dream about having a proper display in my house rather than displaying everything in brown cardboard boxes.
I used to have this very elaborate plan for turning my entire basement into the Millennium Falcon on one half and the other half being one part Jabba’s throne room and the other quarter of the basement being the wampa scene with Luke hanging upside down from the ceiling.
I just need about $60,000 for that I think, give or take about one or two hundred grand.

I always have one saber on my desk (currently the latest AS V2) which I pick up and play with when working. I rotate between this one and my 4 other all vintage sabers (ANH, ESB and TFA graflex, and my ANH Obiwan). Oh, and I'm part way putting together an all vintage ANH Vader... PM me if you want to help!

I have one Darklyte customs holder - and want more but he's closed up shop :(

Got a TIE pilot helmet on my work desk. Side effect is it being a nerd test. One colleague failed it by linking TIE pilots to Star Trek. And i got a pic of the direct boss wearing it. The boss couldn't resist on that after spotting it at my desk.

Glad to see so many people displaying and playing with the props :)
Unfortunately for me, all of my collection is wrapped up in plastic inside boxes.
Sometimes I forget they even exist:/

I have the box cutter from season 4, episode 1 of breaking bad.. I regularly use it as a box cutter :lol: A very handy prop to have!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back