Discussion about Building PL Enterprise

TridCloudwalker

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is to be an open discussion about building your PL Enterprise. Questions, comments, ideas, problems, etc.

Ok, I've got my sub assemplies done and my base coat sprayed. I used Light Aircraft Grey (Model Masters), as they were out of stock of Light Ghost Grey, and I didn't feel like waiting for them to order it. Not to mention the color is pretty close anyway.

The snag I have run into is what color I should use for the darker grey accents around the ship (impulse drive, under nacelles, on front of neck, etc). Does anyone have any ideas?

I've also been contemplating the idea of penciling in the upper saucer grid lines and adding the rusty colored ring. I was thinking Model Masters Camoflague Grey would be an ideal color for the ring. It's still a close grey match for the rest of the ship, but has a slight brown/rust tone to it. Thoughts?

I'd love to hear what everyone else is doing. I know a few have been contemplating lighting effects. Mine will be sans the lighting this time around. Still concentrating on my Bandai for that stuff, but I may do a lit TOS 'E' in the future. I do have access to double red surface mount LEDs. They fit perfectly behind the smaller inner dome with room to spare. Granted it's not a circular motion as it's only two points of light, but I think it could still look good. If anyone is interested I may be able to hook you up with them fairly cheap.

On a related note, there was an article floating around the net some time ago, but I don't remember where exactly, in which the modeler explained how to wire up those battery opperated surface mount LEDs to a circut board/power source. He used them in a TOS Klingon Crusier. It was very well done.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
TridCloudwalker wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
On a related note, there was an article floating around the net some time ago, but I don't remember where exactly, in which the modeler explained how to wire up those battery opperated surface mount LEDs to a circut board/power source. He used them in a TOS Klingon Crusier. It was very well done.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

If you mean the little blinkies like what Snook is using, it's really simple. Unscrew the light part. Solder one red wire to the threads (positive), and a black wire to the pad in the center of the piece (underneath the light area) (negative).

Get a switch and a 2 AA battery holder. Solder the two black wires together, and drop the switch in between the two red wires. Bam, all done
icon_smile.gif

Unless I've really lost it (as I am about to fall asleep), that should work.

I'm curious though, where would he need one of those blinky things on a TOS Klingon ship?

Ethan

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
I'm curious though, where would he need one of those blinky things on a TOS Klingon ship?
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Behind the grill on the engine. He took some artistic licenses with the lighting effects.

And your wiring instructions sounded right to me...but I'm pretty tired too.

I got five of the kits in the mail the other day (I am working in the Middle East) and started by basically putting one together so I could check out how it went and any pitfalls that may show up. I then repeated the process with the same kit, but glued the parts and worked on refining the joints.

Even doing that, the kit goes together fast, but as I will have to take it home to Australia on my next holidays to get paint, it basically sits complete, but minus paint and decals.

I then decided to have a go at kitbashing a second kit into an alternative design. As one of the kits will sacrifice its production warp nacelles to a PNT Dreadnought conversion, I decided to pick a design that could be made with the remaining Pilot parts. I found a design at www.shipschematics.net that looked like a developed version of one of Matt Jeffries original Enterprise concepts:

http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/cruiser_declaration.jpg

I started construction and it basically only took two days to get it looking like this...

DeclarationPL.JPG

DeclarationPL%20(1).JPG

You can see more pics here....

http://groups.msn.com/USSAbsolute/plenterprisekitbash.msnw?albumlist=2

Cheers

Tony

Tony, that looks fantastic!

I've seen a couple drawings and a simple model of the Declaration class before, and always thought it was really neat looking... A while back I bought another of the old TOS 3 piece kits (the one with a Constitution, Klingon Battlecruiser) with the intention of making a Declaration, but I think I'm going to have to try it like you did
icon_smile.gif

That is, once I get this Ecto 1 (in the final bare metal foil stage), Delorean time machine (bought a few days ago), and a normal Enterprise (in the mail) finished.
icon_lol.gif

Polar Lights is putting out some great stuff!

Ethan

Current project is a TOS-era Stargazer that is sucking up two PL enterprises in the construction, but they are so affordable, who cares?
icon_smile.gif

I have finished construction of the primary hull (deepening it to over twice the depth, gluing a second upper hull underneath to give a ventral B/C deck and adding an extended rear end to the saucer) and am about to start on the engine pylons, secondary hull and making up four engines from spare parts.

To see progress so far, go to the link above..

Cheers

Tony

Got mine at a Target near Dragon-Con last weekend (My wife has great eyes!) Anyway I've decided this one is going to be the 1st Pilot version without lights. My question - What is that rod sticking out at the twelve o'clock position on the rim of the saucer? Should I cut that off?

Actually, no it's not. That is a representation of a light seen in one of the versions. Due to the way the mold was made, it comes out looking a bit weird, so best thing is to cut and smooth it off and if the version you are doing had the light, represent it with a small drop of glue or such.

Unfortunately I can't find the thread where Thomas lists the variations as they apply to the three versions, but I will post here when I find it.

(edit) Found it, the second pilot version had a hemispherical light there, so cut it off and recreate it with a drop of thick superglue or white (pva) glue.

Cheers

Tony

Ok - So I've decided I'm building the first pilot version - So I would trim off the rod & sand it down ehh? Thanks for the poop dude!

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back