Diorama for my Weta Workshop 1:30 Figures

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ever since I have become more active on the RPF I see all these awesome methods to display pretty much anything. I used to just build a model and then throw it on a shelf or buy something an just put that on the shelf. However, recently as I have been at the house more often than I would otherwise I have started to really give a lot of thought about how items are displayed. The addition of my 3D printer has also really opened up the possibilities but also just seeing all the amazing work here has inspired me to do more.

I purchased the With-King of Angmar and the Ringwraith of Frodo 1:30 scale figures a few months back. These are from Weta Workshop so of course, the detail on these is just amazing. I also wanted to do more than just throw them into my new display cases and call it done, these particular items deserve a bit more.

Weta builds a really nice background for these but I really did not want to drop the $$$ on those even though they look amazing. I looked around online and found a pretty cool 3D model that I am using for my base. I have never extended my modeling and weathering skills to a diorama of sorts so I am looking forward to getting these built and painted.

Here is 1/2 of the display so far (needs a lot of clean up work):

20200708_195454.jpg

Here is my larger resin Wraith from Weta, I am not sure what to do here yet for a display. That's a project for another time.

20200708_231619.jpg

so there are a couple of tricks I'm still learning but thought I would pass on on removing print lines... a heat gun carefully applied will soften the lines, and autobody primer will "fill" small lines like on printer objects. usually in modeling you don't want that effect - but for prints it helps clean them up. Just a thoguht...

It looks great BTW...

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
If I may make a suggestion. I'd hit the backdrop with a nice black wash and once dry, dry brush some grey over it. This will make everything pop more and give it a little more realism. To really add to it, I'd sprinkle a bit of fake dirt around the base and maybe add some fake moss/lichen to the walls as well. That would really help make it look really old.

so there are a couple of tricks I'm still learning but thought I would pass on on removing print lines... a heat gun carefully applied will soften the lines, and autobody primer will "fill" small lines like on printer objects. usually in modeling you don't want that effect - but for prints it helps clean them up. Just a thoguht...

It looks great BTW...

Jedi Dade

Awesome, thanks for the info!

If I may make a suggestion. I'd hit the backdrop with a nice black wash and once dry, dry brush some grey over it. This will make everything pop more and give it a little more realism. To really add to it, I'd sprinkle a bit of fake dirt around the base and maybe add some fake moss/lichen to the walls as well. That would really help make it look really old.

I haven been thinking of putting it onto a wooden base. Also been debating about adding some kind of vegetation or something like that. Scale might be hard but I like the idea of some kind of dirt.

I haven been thinking of putting it onto a wooden base. Also been debating about adding some kind of vegetation or something like that. Scale might be hard but I like the idea of some kind of dirt.
The easiest way to do vegetation without having to worry too much about scale would be to go with some moss used for train dioramas. Sprinkle a bunch (lightly) on the ground here and there and maybe some on the structures. I'd probably try crush it down so that it goes down sort of powdery so it doesn't look too much like train greenery. I'd probably also give it a little dark green or black wash to make it less bright.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back