Dinotopia Arthropod Strutter

SteveStarkiller

Sr Member
so this is a big diversion from what I usually post here, but I've been enjoying this project a lot. Bringing something from my childhood to life. I don't know how many have read Dinotpia: The World Beneath, but I was obsessed with Crabb's arthropod strutter.

1577396405469.png

Author James Gurney's paintings are both beautiful and also very technical and he often uses maquettes he builds to aid in perspective and lighting when he paints.

1577396336153.png

Sometime last year I started to wonder if I could build a model of the strutter. I wasn't sure where to start but then I was looking at one of the paintings I realized I might be able to photomatch it in sketchup. I took the first image above and pulled it into sketchup and it turned out Gurney had done such a clean job with the perspective that lo and behold it worked!

1577396635755.png

1577396653599.png

1577396755930.png

1577396731548.png

1577397044050.png

still working out the joints and details, but ideally I'd love to get it to a point where I can print it out. Probably relatively small scale, but big enough to put a figure in the cockpit and have poseable joints

Awesome!

I'm a Dinotopia fan, too, and I'd flirted with parts ID-ing the other strutter maquette.

Very impressed with your 3D skills! I'm looking forward to seeing your strutter progress.

After a bit of thought, LEGO has some fairly sturdy & versatile joints that you might be able to use.

hmm, that's not a bad idea. I had thought to design and print all the joints but most of the detailed materials are pretty brittle. I could take lego joint, or some other prefab design (ooh man, stop motion joints would be pretty cool...) and then design the printed parts to be more like a shell that would snap in place....

thanks!

Thats awesome! Big fan of those books. Would love to see some more pieces recreated from that series. Inspired to go re-read them now

If you have the expanded, anniversary edition of TWB, there are a couple pics of the maquette in the back.

Here are low-rez versions liberated from Amazon.

-MJ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 6.13.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 6.13.04 PM.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 302
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back