DinoReplicas - dinosaur bone models and more

I have to say that I like the look of your stand, it looks like it'll work well. Will you be offering it some sort of color or will it be transparent?
Thanks, Shapeways do a couple of translucent materials but unfortunately nothing with acrylic-like transparency. My main concern is the combined cost of stand and model together but I suppose that's for a buyer to decide if worthwhile. I'll do my best to keep the stand's price down and make it available in as many colour/materials as possible so if anyone wants one, hopefully there'll be an option for them.

As an alternative I wanted to try a daintier, curvier version of the stand with a reversed-V so yesterday afternoon I set this one up. Calling it the v3 stand. Clearly this virus situation is giving me even more of an excuse to mess about in Blender than usual.

SwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.jpg

SwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.jpg

I think this one is a bit more harmonious to the model, not sure if it should be taller though, maybe a little.

SwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.gif

Great work and great looking models, really inspiring!
Thanks, I'm glad I've inspired someone! :D
I've been holding off putting the Dimorphodon on sale (including an order for myself). Not sure if online ordering with subsequent delivery is the right thing to do (or promote) with the current Covid-19 situation.

Thanks, I'm glad I've inspired someone! :D
I've been holding off putting the Dimorphodon on sale (including an order for myself). Not sure if online ordering with subsequent delivery is the right thing to do (or promote) with the current Covid-19 situation.

Online ordering is perfectly safe. Amazon, amongst other big box stores with an online presence are still delivering and according to a recent article that I've read, the COVIS-19 virus, because of the time it takes for a package to arrive, will be dead by the time it arrives to you.

Online ordering is perfectly safe. Amazon, amongst other big box stores with an online presence are still delivering and according to a recent article that I've read, the COVIS-19 virus, because of the time it takes for a package to arrive, will be dead by the time it arrives to you.
One of the concerns I've heard is that postal workers and couriers, due to their line of work, are possible transmitters and should really be used for essentials. That's been enough to convince a couple of twitter friends to temporarily close their etsy shops. Here in the North of England the post seems unaffected and I see plenty of delivery vans around so I'm not sure not sure if I follow this logic.

As it is making an immediate order is not that helpful. I could get the model painted but for photos I would need my daughter's smartphone and I'm isolated from her at the moment. There's plenty of chores I can be doing so I can certainly wait, I'll mull it over for a week or two then maybe make an order.

One of the concerns I've heard is that postal workers and couriers, due to their line of work, are possible transmitters and should really be used for essentials. That's been enough to convince a couple of twitter friends to temporarily close their etsy shops. Here in the North of England the post seems unaffected and I see plenty of delivery vans around so I'm not sure not sure if I follow this logic.

If that's you concern, the simple way to avoid getting COVID-19 is to simply wear gloves when you receive package. Then once you've opened it up, give the print a quick bath in warm, soapy water, and you're all good. But, from what I understand, there's not a huge amount of risk stemming from mail and packages transmitting COVID-19.

Been under the radar for a while but now I'm experimenting again. Noticed that Blender has a paper-craft exporter so I thought I'd try to set up a paper model of the Dimorphodon. Don't think I've ever made a paper-craft model let alone design one so I've no idea how this will turn out. If it does work the plan is to make it available somewhere.

I've got as far as making this blocky low-poly version of the model and I've been experimenting with the exporter. Results seem promising so far, I'll try to construct a basic version basic paper version this weekend.

LCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.jpg

The pastel colours are just a preliminary way for me to keep track of which parts are which, a final flat printed version will have to have some kind of key/part ID system. I'm hoping I can put a painted texture on the finished item.

Got a bit further with the paper-craft Dimorphodon. Made this manual arrange on to 3 A4s for proof of concept, 41 parts so far but that may go up. Currently the cutout sections are widely spaced because I haven't worked out where to put the tabs yet, I'll draw them in pencil while I'm assembling. The final version will really need to be printed on card but I'll test it on paper first to see how it's working.

XVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.jpg

Always had the greatest admiration for paper craft designers and I never thought it would be easy to just jump in and have a go myself...

...but blimey! This is tricky stuff.

Of course being me I can't just start with something simple, anyone know any cube shaped prehistoric animals? Oxosaurus?

And don't forget Tryanglosaurus Rex!

Why do I get the feeling you could come up with these all day long? :D

looking about as tidy as un-ironed corduroy, 75gsm copier paper and PVA far from ideal combo for a paper-craft model. Good enough for this 'alpha' test though. Wingspan about 42 cm (16.5 in), that's roughly 1/3rd scale, might be able to increase slightly if I optimise the A4 layouts.

During glue drying periods I've managed to get the texture mostly painted (Blender and Krita) for the cardboard 'beta' version. The pattern is going to need much vector pathing and fix-ups to make it usable, maybe get this done this weekend.

That's really Great! Looks like a ton of fun to make!

Thanks, I'm new to this paper modelling thing and I found it challenging to say the least though I did enjoy it. I would guess experienced paper-crafters would have a smoother experience.

What I did find is that there's a few extra steps for a better build, for some examples- I stuffed the head and body with kitchen roll to help these areas hold their shape and less prone to compression. I found that to keep the wings in their slightly raised position I had to internally glue a 'tensioner spar' between the arms and hold in place until dry. I also put rolled up paper in the limbs and tail to improve strength.

These extra assembly steps I'll include as advisory info in the instructions when I release the PDF.

3D model for paper-craft Dimorphodon now with painted texture based on the colour concept from reply #193. I've changed the tail markings a little. Just need to recreate the flat layout for another physical test, should be able to fit that in over the weekend.

Underside view, this version will really need to be tested on card, not paper. Pretty sure I've got a few sheets stashed in the back of a cupboard.

Updated flat layout for the coloured paper model. 3 A4 sheets. Hopefully this is fairly close to the finished layout. I've added some tabs in test positions based on what I hand drafted for the first test. No attempt yet at making a key or part identifiers but will be added at some point. Found the card I was looking for, it's a bit yellow at the edges (unused for ages :)) but it'll be OK for this test.

Made a couple of turtable GIFs (scene was already setup after texture paint).

LCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.gif

LCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.gif

A few of these would look so great hanging from the ceiling!

A touch of Jurassic sky sounds good, How about a mobile over a crib? :)

Hopefully not too long until I can release this, I'm close to finishing the colour prototype. Smoother assembly second time around, card is easier than paper to work with. As I've been assembling I've been scribbling down a few fixes and modifications to be incorporated into the next version of the model-

dWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.jpg

Made a couple of changes to my logo today, cut down 'Dinosaur Replicas' to just 'Dinoreplicas' - been heading that way for a while. Also wanted a shorter and more generalised tagline.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back