DinoReplicas - dinosaur bone models and more

I like the color scheme on the ventral side but I'm not too keen on the dorsal pattern, the trailing edges of the wings in particular. To me, it looks a bit too much like a moth or a butterfly. Maybe either reducing the contrast between the dark and light colored bands or reducing the contrast between the two. Of course, it's ultimately your choice and considering that these will, presumably, come unpainted, I could mine however I wanted, if I were to get one. And depending on price and if I can figure out a decent way of displaying it, I'm seriously considering getting one, even though I'm not normally a big pterosaur fan.

I like the color scheme on the ventral side but I'm not too keen on the dorsal pattern, the trailing edges of the wings in particular. To me, it looks a bit too much like a moth or a butterfly.
You spotted my unmentioned influence :D, it is indeed partly inspired by butterfly patterns. With pterosaurs having no extant close relatives I'm happy to go a bit 'wild and out there' in this regard. Over the afternoon though I kinda went off this particular look and I'm now thinking towards flying lizards.
And depending on price and if I can figure out a decent way of displaying it, I'm seriously considering getting one, even though I'm not normally a big pterosaur fan.
I'm hoping any buyers will show me their paint jobs as I'd really enjoy seeing the creativity and individuality of others' interpretations of this animal. I'm a novice with painting and there's some great talent out there, much on the RPF. So if you do get one... ;)

For displaying the model my intention is piano wire rod set in clear acrylic block (like my dino skulls) but I still want to go ahead with your idea and provide a custom stand. I was never much of a pterosaur fan either but doing this project has really increased my appreciation.

If I get this figure I'm going to have to give some serious thought as to how I would paint it. I'll definitely be sure to post up what I do with if I get it. The idea of painting it up is really appealing since I haven't painted a figurine of any sort in ages so it would be really fun.

As far as the custom stand idea goes, I'm glad that you like it and I really hope that you go through with it. I really think that an Eaglemoss style stand would be a great way of displaying a pterosaur figure. And once you get it worked out you should be able to use it for any future pterosaur figures that you might end up doing in the future.

If I get this figure I'm going to have to give some serious thought as to how I would paint it. I'll definitely be sure to post up what I do with if I get it. The idea of painting it up is really appealing since I haven't painted a figurine of any sort in ages so it would be really fun.

Seeing a model painter exploit the blank canvas would be fascinating for me, especially if it's quite different to anything I came up with.
Though on that note... Skytiger!

SwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.jpg

Possibly a touch more developed than the last colour study I posted, had a heavy cold for the past 1.5 weeks so I've not made any progress recently. I've gone with slate blue marbling over tan & beige but I'd also be tempted to try this as dark red over olive green. Maybe simplify a bit in the process.

Want to try a few different styles, this one has texture/colour spreading from the front of wing but I want to try a couple of styles that reverse this, maybe with spots or blotches on the trailing edge. Might try this out tomorrow night.

Now that I've named this colour variant I'll probably struggle to think up similar for the others :D

Last edited:
I did a little experimentation in Photoshop to see how I might want to paint this guy up and this is what I came up with. I'll probably end up doing a second go around and refine it a bit.

Now that's an animal that hides it's bushel under a lamp! :D I like the 3 waves of red running down the body. Mating colours maybe? I could probably supply my painting template if you want to experiment (Krita format but can save as photoshop), it's centered for symmetry painting.

A few more styles, mostly to try trailing edge dominant patterns but also a green riff on Skytiger with fighter-plane wing camouflage :)

Not particularly content with any of this new batch, not yet feeling 100% so maybe that's why they're a bit lacklustre. Still prefer the first Skytiger with grey over tan so that's probably what I'll go with, overshot the limit of my attention span with this.

I would love to have your template, aside from painting things I also really enjoy messing with things in Photoshop. Thanks for the compliment, I really had no idea of what I wanted and just made it up as I went along. I think for another go at it I'm going to look at birds and some planes for inspiration.

As far as your ideas go, I like the two on the right side, particularly the grey one on the green background. It looks very believable yet stands out.

I would love to have your template, aside from painting things I also really enjoy messing with things in Photoshop.
PSD File attached. The eye and beak color can be changed with a quick HSV adjust of the appropriate layer. I tend to add a couple of painting layers above the background layer (which can be pre-tinted).
Thanks for the compliment, I really had no idea of what I wanted and just made it up as I went along. I think for another go at it I'm going to look at birds and some planes for inspiration.
Look forward to it.
As far as your ideas go, I like the two on the right side, particularly the grey one on the green background. It looks very believable yet stands out.
I've shown these around on Deviantart and other places and every style seems to have its fans. Think I'll just go with the one from post #184.

Attachments

• Di_paint_template.zip
    424 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I just wanted to say what a fascinating thread this is - it's impressive to see the amount of effort that you put into creating each model. Out of curiosity is the reference material you use available online or do you seek it out IRL?

I've bookmarked your Shapeways page and it's going to be my go-to when people ask me what I want for birthdays and such. In fact I've already bought myself a 1/12 Parasaurolophus skull, just to test the print quality of course ;)

I just wanted to say what a fascinating thread this is - it's impressive to see the amount of effort that you put into creating each model.
Thanks, my obsessiveness wouldn't let me do otherwise :)
Out of curiosity is the reference material you use available online or do you seek it out IRL?
To fuel my interest, I would occasionally get access to papers through my local uni, never a student there myself but I knew one of the biology lecturers (great guy, passed away now, probably pestered him too much).That was years before I even contemplated this endeavour. In these internet days, I've managed to source almost all reference online, got some decent books too.
I've bookmarked your Shapeways page and it's going to be my go-to when people ask me what I want for birthdays and such. In fact I've already bought myself a 1/12 Parasaurolophus skull, just to test the print quality of course ;)
Cheers, hope you like it.

I was going for ancient fossil but I'm not sure if it's not more rusty allotment shed... Your modelling job is cracking though!
Forgive the cocktail stick, I've not made a stand yet :rolleyes:
Nice work on the paint finish with those fossil-like subtle colour variations. Your photography evokes a museum mood too. I use a cocktail stick poked into an eraser as a model holder when painting, Just the job :)

Dimorphodon simplified colour concept

Couldn't resist one last go at this. I figured at some point I'm going to have to paint this thing and my previous colour concepts were a bit on the elaborate side. So, taking up the noble cause of making life easier for myself I've come up with this simpler design :)

Got some cash coming in this week so I'm ordering a print (probably 1/4th scale), time to put this out there and move on. Want some better paints too, for the skulls I've got by with cheap artists' acrylic but in this case I think I need something with better opacity, Vallejo Model Color and Game Color ranges look interesting.

Colour concept painted with Krita 4.2.8.

Set up a 2-part stand with 2 variations, the 'pole' part is a bit on the tall side so it can be shortened if preferred. The underside of the base is hollowed so that some ballast can be added for stability.

Nice stands. It like the V stand the best, I think that it might more stable too. However, I think that the portion that connects to the model itself might need to be a little larger, I'm not sure that what you have now is enough to support or it does, it might require a lot fiddling to get it to balance.

Nice stands. It like the V stand the best, I think that it might more stable too.
Thanks, I googled the Eaglemoss stands you mentioned so that's an influence on the style. I'm considering making the bases a bit larger but I'm concerned about hiking up the price.
However, I think that the portion that connects to the model itself might need to be a little larger, I'm not sure that what you have now is enough to support or it does, it might require a lot fiddling to get it to balance.
Between model and stand here's a peg and hole to hold everything in place, wasn't planning on buying a stand to test myself though I probably should. I'm also thinking the strut should be beefed to prevent bending under the weight of the model (although SLS prints are light), maybe change to a bar or lozenge cross-section. I'll probably try a second pass at the stand design during the week.

A revision of the previous attempt, everything is beefed up and the base has a larger footprint. It's essentially one of those plastic-kit aircraft stands but that seems entirely appropriate to me ;). It's a 2-part piece, the strut slides into a hole near the front. Base is hollow underneath for adding ballast if needed.

Another quick pic, the little fin behind the base is intended as a brace and a guide, makes it look a bit Art Deco (IMO). If fact the whole thing is starting to look like a weird hood ornament!

Haven't made any GIF anims for a while, might do one to demo assembly.

Coming back to this a day later the stand now looks maybe a bit chunky and intrusive. The thin brace behind the strut will print quite small so I might shorten or remove this part. I suppose if a buyer preferred a more low-key stand they could always make their own and I think this will be the better option for some.

SwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.gif

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back