DinoReplicas - dinosaur bone models and more

Base mesh traced over the template sculpt, UV map to do.
Might make a few changes, I'll take another look tomorrow.

LCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.jpg

LCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.png

Not satisfied with my original mesh so I made some topology modifications. Hopefully a little better for sculpting with an more grid-like area between nasal openings and tooth line. The odd awkward pinch or pole here & there but mostly at out-of-sight or higher density areas, should be OK for my purposes.

LCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.gif

Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
Thanks, trying to finish this one a bit quicker than usual, want to take a long break from skulls/models and try something else.

Updated the orthographic drawing to correct the position of the foramina on the mandible. Dunno why I had them in the wrong place.

dWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.jpg

Made the additional stuff for the 3D print, the jaw hinge (pin & knuckle), jaw stiffener, eye stalks (not shown) and mounting hole.
Got this on order from Shapeways at 1:20 scale, I have to have at least one test print to see if any adjustments are needed. I'll get a few photos when received.

Pin for jaw hinge (orange cylinders), had to slightly cut into the model to provide clearance for the hinge knuckle (attached to lower jaw).

The box shaped braces are to add some resistance, helping the jaw hold it's position by means of spring tension (that's the plan anyway :D).

Very nice! I'm going to have to buy some of your models one of these days.

I don't know if you've decided on your next project yet, but might I suggest Kaprosuchus, the Boar Croc? As a crocodilian/crocilomorph it might have the same recognition of most dinosaurs, pterosaurs, and mosasaurs, but it is very unique looking and I think would make for a great display and conversation piece.

I don't know if you've decided on your next project yet, but might I suggest Kaprosuchus, the Boar Croc? As a crocodilian/crocilomorph it might have the same recognition of most dinosaurs, pterosaurs, and mosasaurs, but it is very unique looking and I think would make for a great display and conversation piece.
Probably taking a break from skull modelling after this one, Kaprosuchus is a good candidate for a skull model though.

Probably taking a break from skull modelling after this one, Kaprosuchus is a good candidate for a skull model though.

I'm glad to that you like my idea of Kaprosuchus. An obscure animal to be sure but one that would look awesome rendered out as a sculpture. Once/if you do the old Boar-Croc that might the one that I'll finally buy first. While I'm a huge T. rex fan, something about the idea of getting replica skull of something as obscure as the Boar-Croc is just really appealing, just like how I like your Dimorphodon(?) even though I'm not much of a Pterosaur fan in general.

Got my mosasaurus skull from Shapeways. This particular 3D print is the 1/20th scale version, also doing 1/12th, 1/16th and 1/24th. This isn't just for the photos, it also doubles as a product test. The hinge parts and jaw stiffeners work but I can make some small improvements, as it is this isn't far from being ready for sale.

To keep the part count down (multiple parts increases cost), I've attached the eye rings to the lower jaw via stumpy sprues. Not sure why I put them on the jaw, for the sale version I'll just attach them in place to the cranium via a couple of struts.

The eye parts are so small I'm a bit daunted at the prospect of locating and attaching them. I've left them in place for now so I don't lose them. Next I need to get the eye rings attached, paint the model, make and attach a mount and then get a few photos sorted. Maybe get this done later in the week.

It looks too pristine in it's white unpainted state, can't wait to grunge it up a bit :)

Very cool stuff here, The skull is a cool creation, just studying all the small detail on a skull is something I like doing I do have a replica human full size resin casting model skull as well as some real animal skulls I have found while hiking. Cool Stuff your doing

Very cool stuff here, The skull is a cool creation, just studying all the small detail on a skull is something I like doing I do have a replica human full size resin casting model skull as well as some real animal skulls I have found while hiking. Cool Stuff your doing
Thanks. I agree, skulls are beautiful creations. I could give all kinds of reasons about how I admire the functionality and mechanics of skulls but mainly I just love the way they look. It was frustration at the scarcity of model dino skulls that prompted me to make my own.

Made some minor mods to the final version, beefed up the jaw stiffener bars and added in-place eye supports.

Putting the model on Shapeways today when I've got all the product pics prepped and cropped. This is the first photo from the batch I took this week.

XVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.jpg

This is great that you are offering these, just pack them with love because the shipping system can be a mess sometimes will be picking me up one of these, can't wait to see what's next. Thanks

This is great that you are offering these, just pack them with love because the shipping system can be a mess sometimes will be picking me up one of these, can't wait to see what's next. Thanks
Thanks. It's Shapeways that print, pack and ship the models so that's a responsibility I don't currently have :). In my experience their packaging has always been good. Got a few more photos from this set.

Been toying with the idea of making more 3D dinos so I've finally made a start. I fancy recreating the Ceratosaurus/Stegosaurus face off that I painted for a mural for my grandson (or at least a version of it).

SwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.jpg

The Cerato is one of my all time favourites, a more primitive theropod than the Allosaurus it lived alongside, it has a slightly awkward shape that's irresistible from a drawing/sculpting perspective. The 3 horns are spectacular and iconic. Drawn this on A4 copier paper at 1:20th scale, the skull is 1:10th scale. It represents the holotype specimen, USNM 4735. There's a few references around to help with proportions including the original reconstructions by Charles Gilmore, his 1920 paper is available online.

F1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back