Dimensional Star Wars poster.

pyxl

I posted a long time ago (I know..I know..in a galaxy far far away) about making some carved versions of movie posters. Until recently, I wasn't pleased with how the carvings came out. I have continued to work on it and am happier now with the results.

I was recently contacted about donating some work to a tv show. The show was recently cancelled and the episode airing my work may not air until december of next year, but I thought I would show you what I did. I had 3 days to finish 6 projects, all carved and painted. This one is about 14" x 22". I certainly took some liberties with the original art and anything that's wrong is purely my fault. I look forward to increasing the size of my cnc machine and doing similar projects full scale. The piece is 3/4" thick and carved from PVC sheeting. The carvings go about 1/4- 1/2" deep.

starwarshopelarge.JPG

Those are great! A new spin on some old art! Do you do commission work?

I would love to have a 3D version of the "Forbidden Planet" poster.

A couple things...
They aren't totally "hand sculpted". I use a CNC machine...and heavily modified artwork based on vectors I make in Illustrator, combined with the original artwork. I then texture/finish the carving by hand and prime it and paint it...just don't want to mis-represent it.

The "Forbidden Planet" question is funny- as that was one of the first attempts I made at doing one of these. It came out alright, but I've created a much better method of getting a good "carve" now. I know I could do a much better version today.

If you described these I would have thought the idea a bit naf - but seeing those pics, I would seriously hang those on my wall, especially love the ROTJ poster (y)thumbsup

Hi there,

The Lucasfilm Ltd. filmstrip is priceless ... well executed and quite original.

Posters look great too. This could become a business ... if it isn't already.
Drew Struzan made a lot of movie posters, go check out his posterbook!

-Chaim

Thanks everyone! I had a blast painting them. In case you wondered what they look like freshly carved in some pvc...here's one.

2343730000101109960S600x600Q85.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back