Digital Versions of Model Kit Components

minifig

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all,

During the making of my scaled versions of the Death Star Modules, I have ended up making some digital versions of kit components in order to make life easier when doing the different sizes of the modules. I thought it might be a nice thing to share these components so that anyone can use them.

Although I have had to 'best guess' some components in the past, I am only going to make available, at the moment, components that I have actually measured from the original kits that I own, or have had access to. If people do want to see my versions of things I've best guessed (like my droid strip) then I will make sure they are suitably labelled as being not accurate. Hopefully though, one day, I will have the accurate versions of all the components for the droid strip.:)

I know the list is limited for now, but I hope to keep adding the components as I need/make them. I might also take specific requests for people if they require a specific part from a kit!

Minifig

Kudos to you Minifig for posting your work :thumbsup
How cool would it be to eventually have a repository of digital kit parts on the RPF to be able to 3d print off as needed!!

Hey mini.. if you want.. I can provide you with any kit part you want to digitally recreate... maybe the top 20 rare expensive kit parts... I can also provide a 3D UltraHD scan of part too.. accuracy .007. A digital kit part inventory... I agree Jason these are wonderful times!!!

We made a fair few of them in 2001, not accurate to .007" but close :-D
bsg_009.jpg

swpropmaker ... that would be awesome, and I'd be quite willing to do it, the scans I'm sure would be useful too, the more the merrier I should think (you scare me with your imperial measurements though).

I can't deny that the versions I 'm making are slightly idealized...the scans would be more accurate when it comes to replicating mould lines and ejector pin witness marks and other imperfections in the actual kit parts. There are even discrepancies between the same component on copies of the same kit. Like all these things there are going to be personal preferences and pros/cons for each approach. I'm just happy with something that is accurate to withing 0.1mm or so (notice the use of metric!).

The other advantage of this is that the files will always be editable if 'conflict' arises!!!

M

Last edited by a moderator:
...sorry MonsieurTox ... Google tells me that Lee S is the winner :lol

- - - Updated - - -

...proof that no-one really knows what .007" is...

...sorry @MonsieurTox ... Google tells me that @Lee S is the winner :lol

- - - Updated - - -

That's correct ! :D

That's not that great then when most 3D printers can print under 0.02mm :(
Probably good enough for larger parts but 0.2mm is quite huge when It comes to smaller parts or large parts with fine details. :/

- - - Updated - - -

Those of us that haven't been corrupted by the metric system know exactly what .007" is! :lol Just over the thickness of two sheets of notebook paper.

Great work on the part models Minifig! I've got several parts models for the Y wing project that I can contribute.

:-D
I think 0.1mm is a good and 'close' enough for most measurements. A 3D model will fill in the gaps and so even if a printer is way better than that, all the better.
So if Steve has a scanner that goes to 0.007" then that should be great.

- - - Updated - - -

.007" is a very small secret agent working for MI6 :)

- - - Updated - - -

...Well I think you would be as good a judge as any, as to whether or not the accuracy is good enough!...

Hi guys,

my name is Olivier, I have been visiting this board a lot but never posted until now, mostly because I did not have much to show or say. I have been watching the amazing work people post here, mostly on the star wars and the models forums.

However this thread caught my attention because that's something I'm interested in and I think I can help. I'm a 3d modeler, that's my job, I make characters, props and set for animated features for a living. I work mostly with maya, and while it's not CAD software per say, you can set it to use millimeter units and it can produce some pretty accurate parts. I already modeled and 3d printed some parts that need to fit some specific requirements and it worked great.

So I'm willing to model parts. If you have good reference photos and at least basic measurements, I can model it. One of the biggest flaw I see on some 3d printed parts is the segmentation, people don't smooth their models and rounded parts are segmented. This won't happen with me. My model are clean and I can guaranty they will print well, as long as the printer definition allows it (I can model tiny details if needed, but they might not print correctly). I'm experienced with 3d printing, I own a 3d printer, I will make sure they models are sliced correctly in Cura or similar software.

I can then export the meshes to OBJ and STL and make them publicly available.

you can checkout some of my work here http://oliviercouston.com , it's mostly characters but I can model accurate hard surface stuff too. I actually learned modeling doing star wars space craft 15 years ago

Why would I do that? Well, I'd love to model a screen accurate ywing or bwing some day. I have been trying to gather references and to ID some parts but I don't have nearly as much as some people here. I know how much works goes into identifying those parts and that it's frowned upon to come here and ask for info without contributing to the community first.
So I'm offering to model parts on demand for those same people, hoping that some will be kind enough to share with me some of the parts required for those two ships (which I will eventually model and share here too)

I hope some of you will be interested. Let me know

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back