Digital Versions of Model Kit Components

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by minifig, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Tangentially to this, did anyone catch the ILM panel from celebration? Really interesting as they're doing the exact same thing, creating a digital donor kit library, focusing primarily on parts that show up all over the OT miniatures, only with the intention to use them on their digital models. Very cool to see they're going down the same path!

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Is there a link to a video you could provide showing this? It sounds very interesting indeed!

Edit: I think I found it?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  3. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's the one.

4. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Yep, was just coming to post the link - that's it. The whole video gave me some serious warm fuzzies about the obvious love Knoll has for the films and the ILM legacy he's part of, and the obvious care he is bringing to Rogue One.

5. stonky

The fruits of some of my own digital parts reconstruction (wip, obviously):

image.jpeg

minifig and nicholassagan like this.
  6. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

I know I'm just a bitter old man, but wouldn't be easier, faster and cheaper for the Star Wars movies to just build real miniatures?

Treadwell likes this.
  7. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

8. stonky

Maybe but then they'd be bound by the limitations of the motion control blue screen process (limited movement, etc.).

9. nicholassagan

nicholassagan Active Member

Hey guys, I've been working on 3D modeling the Nebulon B and as it turns out it shares just about every donor kit for every other model. My goal is to represent it as accurately as possible so I've been collecting the real donor kits and examining them while working in 3D. Here's the X-3 Stiletto engine parts for example:

Attached Files:

Joseph C. Brown likes this.
  10. DaveG

DaveG Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sadly no. While the costs of building a real miniature vs. a CG model are about equal, the cost to shoot real models is much higher and takes longer than the cost to animate and render the shots in the computer. The only way to be even close to making the costs work out is for the FX company to have it's own in-house modelshop and stage facilities, motion control, camera and lighting equipment. And sadly, ILM divested themselve of those when they moved from San Rafael to the Presidio.

John Knoll started out as a model maker (he was working for me when he got the call to interview at ILM) so his love for the traditional process is obvious. It's very cool that he is spending time to create a nernie library for Rogue One. So now we get the digital equivalent of "dip it in glue and roll it in model parts"!

greeble_gremlin and Lee S like this.
  11. nicholassagan

nicholassagan Active Member

That library is a dream. 300+ pieces already modeled is cool...but there are sooo many. With hundreds of parts and hundreds of kits a complete library would be 20k+ pieces...

12. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Once modeled, the 3D versions can easily be shared/ leveraged on new works. That is the one huge advantage over physical modeling (not to mention the ease of part swapping when working up a design.)

I suspect some form of physical models will still be needed for quite a while, especially when working up sets and such...

R/ Robert

13. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If the asset is being created for a specific production, it can not be shared with others/derivative; shared components must stay within the same show.

14. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Normally yes, but I think John mentioned that both the death star graphic recreation and the digital 3D library were his own projects he had been working on as a sideline even before Rouge One, I would say he would have testing and experimental budgets available to him, like ILM skunkworks, therefore these are available to any Disney project ,, I hope they are , it will be great to see more detailed digital ships, if more parts go missing of the originals well know that knoll was down getting some parts to 3D scan

Big Dog likes this.
  15. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Everything about everything John demonstrates in that video is awesome.

I just hope there is an easy way for the digital model builder to use his greeblies creatively---cut them down, interconnect them, make the parts come together to form a new, functional-looking whole, etc, as the modelmakers used to do. That demo where he just pasted a bunch of them randomly on a surface, all intact, does not have the finesse of the old ILM builds. But I'm sure that was just a quick demo of how they could be applied.

- - - Updated - - -

And a good-natured ribbing here about the age-old debate over the following word...

...note that he said "greeblies."

Not greebles, and not nurnies. ;)

greeble_gremlin and minifig like this.
  16. minifig

minifig Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

..Just to give you a heads-up, and it's been a long while, but I've added some more components to the Airfix 1/144 Saturn V Folder, and also a couple of Revell 1/4 Visible V8 components. Hopefully some of them will be of use to some of you.

Minifig

17. bigpetr

bigpetr Member

Thank you Minifig. I wish I have some of theese kits so I can also contribute to this endeavor. I have modled few kit parts but only from kitscans

18. Toxcedo

Toxcedo New Member

Awesome Minifig! Your models are awesome!

minifig likes this.
  19. minifig

minifig Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cheers Toxcedo...although they are not really my models! ;)