Differences Between Revell 2006 and 2016 Imperial Shuttle

Talaris

I’m a collector of Star Wars models, and recently received the 2006 version of the Revell Imperial Shuttle. According to the box it’s 165mm in length, and scalemates has it at 1:121. I’ve seen that the Rogue One product line has the Revell Imperial Shuttle Tyderium at 191mm, and a scale of 1:109. Checking the sprues and looking at photos, it would seem the moulding and details between the two are exactly the same. Does anyone know if the 2016 version is a larger version of the same model? Or if the size was just a re-calculation, and actually they are exactly the same size? Again, scalemates claims it’s a different re-tooling, but perhaps it’s because the moulds were slightly enlargened (why even bother making new moulds without improving on the detail though?)

If anyone has any information I’d appreciate it, or better yet a photo comparison between the 2006 and 2016 versions, though it’s unlikely someone would think to buy both. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Thanks bobaman1, so the dimensions are identical too, and they just re-evaluated it? It’s just that I’ve seen one member here on an old thread claim there are differences (aside from size, apparently only the Rogue One version has an opening cockpit), but I haven’t seen any other sources back that up.

Ok thanks for clearing that up! Perhaps the information at scalemates is incorrect then, and needs updating.

In my experience, Revell has a history of repackaging models with 'alternate' descriptions, scales and even pricing.

I once fell into this trap with a small snap-fit Millennium Falcon of theirs. The local model shop had two versions, priced differently; one in a blister and one in a foil bag. I already had the one in the blister (I had previously bought it, packaged in a traditional box!), but that was priced lower than the one in the foil bag.

So I asked the store owner if I could see the contents of the foil bag; if it was different, I would buy it as is, but if it was the same, I wanted to pay the lower price of the blister. he agreed.

Of course, when he opened the bag, it was exactly the same as the one in the blister. And then he did not want to sell it at the lower price, even though we had just agreed on this, with witnesses to boot.

I ended up paying the higher price (it was a difference of just €2,-, but at a price point of €10,-, that's still 20%!), but this made me very aware of the fact that Revell does play tricks with their marketing of models (and that certain store owners can be very inflexible jerks, but that's another rant altogether :D ).

Since then, I go by the simple rule that if a model (by the same company) is offered in a different packaging, with marginal differences in description, size and/or scale, it is safe to assume it's just a repackaging instead of a retooling or completely new model (This especially goes for the more inexpensive kits from European manufacturers).

And if this is the case, and it can't be determined on the spot, I will simply google the model to find out... ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back