"Did you find any droids?" by Bandai

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jaitea

Master Member
The Bandai R2-D2 is a lovely kit let down by his head,....theres a big join that runs down the middle of it & the metallic plastic is very toy like,.....so my aim is to build up the head differently to the instructions,....to light the various sections & make him LESS toylike;

Head assembled to allow the blue sections to be attached later, The seam filled & sanded then primed:

Then painted with aluminium,.....then airbrushed with Mr Colour buff-able aluminium, the blue parts were sprayed with Citroen Poseidon Blue,.....the net found that some R2 builders recommended that colour

The R5 body, sprayed with white primer,..panel lines drawn in with fine sharpy:

R5:

& his mate:

I want to do the 3PO weathered like he was in Star Wars .....(ANH).....so I experimented on the spare chest,....you get 2 with the kit,.....dented & undented

I blasted the part with hairspray,...them dabbed on some PVA glue to take away the shine of the Gold/Chrome,...then weathered on top of that with sponge

Thanks for looking
John

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Robiwon

Master Member
Gone but not forgotten.
Very nice work. Looking forward to see more. It seems a shame that Bandai dropped the ball, so to speak, on R2's dome by not making it a single chrome piece.

Randy13

Looking great so far. I am amazed at the level of work you are doing on such a small scale.

Jimmer

Great work.

I picked up the R2/R5 set and was really impressed for the price, but also a little let down with R2's dome.

I'm a complete novice (come here to lurk and look at the amazing work you guys do), but I'm really interested in what you used to fill the seam line on the dome with. Luckily, I haven't build R2 yet, planning on painting the dome, so I'm very interested in giving the seam line a fix.

Thanks,
Jim

Jaitea

Master Member
Thanks guys,....I haven't done any more to these but I have some pics taken earlier in the build,....jimmer,.....Ijust glued the halves together and used mumbrol model filler paste

I did a mould & cast of these areas,...with an LED behind it should be OK

I cast this one also,....worried about carving the areas out on the original piece

Thanks for looking

J

Jimmer

Excellent work on the dome. Glad I held off on assembling my R2 now. I'm gonna practice with filler on a couple of junker models I have, then tackle my R2 dome as well.

Great idea with casting the pieces as well.

Jimmer

I think you'll really enjoy them, Neil. I'm sure you are well aware, but use caution cutting the parts from the sprue. Some are very small and easily damaged. I'm a bit of a novice, but luckily watched a youtube tutorial before starting my build. Best idea is cut the parts free leaving extra plastic, then sand down the excess with very fine sandpaper (again, I'm sure you are well aware).

Also, there is one black transparent piece in the kit (R2's eyepiece) that is extremely easy to damage. I've seen several people online who damaged theirs getting it loose, so take extra care.