Did we ever solve the mystery of Luke’s lightsaber return?

The falling item is his hand and saber. People dispute this, but I will die on this hill.
I always felt like I was the ONLY person who noticed this!!!!
michael-scott-the-office.gif

You know, in all seriousness, it would have made more sense for Maz to have had Luke’s ROTJ lightsaber hilt in her possession vs. the GRAFLEX.

View attachment 1589203

Perhaps it would have provided a clue to the missing Jedi Master in TFA?

Choosing the GRAFLEX and creating a HUGE plot hole was one of many story missteps Disney created, right out of the gate, with the objectively awful Sequel Trilogy.
I've said it before and I'll say it again...that is the best looking production V3 lightsaber I've ever seen. The prop dept. For any film/show Star Wars related should honestly hire people on here to do it for them.

I think the ESB novel said it was a piece of the weather vane that broke off when Luke landed on it. And IIRC the vane he is on does have part of it missing compared to the other ones visible.
It was supposed to be a part of the vane. From the script:
EXT. BOTTOM OF CLOUD CITY - WEATHER VANE - DUSK

Unable to hang onto the pipe, Luke tumbles out, emerging at the undermost part of Cloud City. Reaching out desperately, he manages to grab onto on electronic weather vane.

LUKE
Ben... Ben, please!

Luke tries to pull himself up on the weather vane but slips back down. He hooks one of his legs around the fragile instruments. All the while, a powerful current of air rushes out at him from the exhaust pipe.

LUKE
Ben. Leia!

There is an ominous cracking sound from the base of the weather vane and a piece breaks off, falling into the clouds far below.

LUKE
Hear me! Leia!

We see the falling object the instant after Luke snags on the weather vane, the hand and saber would be long gone by that time.

It was supposed to be a part of the vane. From the script:
That is the post-production version modified to reflect the final film. It's the version that got published in the Premiere paperback of the script, for example. Those things are done by people not necessarily involved with the making of a film, just watching or even just listening to the final movie, removing stuff from shooting scripts that didn't end up in the movie and vice versa. As such, inaccuracies creep in. (Like Han's line to Chewie in ROTJ "Chewie, you're hit? Where?" becoming "Your head? Where?".)
The shooting script makes no mention of it at all:

That is the post-production version modified to reflect the final film. It's the version that got published in the Premiere paperback of the script, for example. Those things are done by people not necessarily involved with the making of a film, just watching or even just listening to the final movie, removing stuff from shooting scripts that didn't end up in the movie and vice versa. As such, inaccuracies creep in. (Like Han's line to Chewie in ROTJ "Chewie, you're hit? Where?" becoming "Your head? Where?".)
The shooting script makes no mention of it at all:
OK about it being a post-production version. But look again: The vind-wane part falls off in scene 407.

BTW, that script has Luke not getting his hand chopped off. Instead, he manages to clip the lightsaber to his belt in mid-air, and would keep it to the next movie.

When I was a kid, I also thought that was the hand and saber, I guess because I couldn't figure what else it could be. I agree it's just a part of the vane though. It's not seen when Luke falls through the trap door in the tube and it would be quite a coincidence for the hand to fall to the exact spot Luke did. Presumably there are hundreds or thousands of those tubes Luke could've been sucked into.

I don't want to offend anyone here who is a fan of the Sequels but I personally do not consider 'anything' done by that evil woman Kathleen Kennedy to be 'Star Wars' and I don't even consider any of this bulls..t cannon. So I am completely happy with it being lost and Luke coming back with his ROTJ lightsaber :)

I barely liked TFA, but expected Luke to be all, "Holy ****, HOW did you get this?" No idea what Rey would've said. "I was told, 'Never mind.'" Or something. But Johnson having him chuck it like a day old Jimmy John's sub was totally out of canon, character, logic, common sense, that I wrote off anything from Disney with the Star Wars name ever after. No, I'm not snarcastic. Seriously.

I'm sure that idiot will tell me "you're watching movies wrong," and he'd be incorrect. That was a saber he LOST in a critical scene. For it to just reappear was ... weird.

I barely liked TFA, but expected Luke to be all, "Holy ****, HOW did you get this?" No idea what Rey would've said. "I was told, 'Never mind.'" Or something. But Johnson having him chuck it like a day old Jimmy John's sub was totally out of canon, character, logic, common sense, that I wrote off anything from Disney with the Star Wars name ever after. No, I'm not snarcastic. Seriously.

I'm sure that idiot will tell me "you're watching movies wrong," and he'd be incorrect. That was a saber he LOST in a critical scene. For it to just reappear was ... weird.
I couldn’t have said it better.

Don’t forget the brilliant Bob Iger. There has to be a boss giving directions. Well, at least it worked out for Disney’s shareholders over the past year.

FD440154-0A31-4F70-9139-239C4D1ABEED.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back