Did Last Jedi inspire you for a new project?

I borderline hated TLJ, that being said it did give me a greater appreciation for the Original trilogy and it's props. It definitely gave me inspiration to revive my heiland flash build that has been on the back burner for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you may have to replace them with something like a wave spring or shim to keep pressure applied against the other leaves. (Or they could be somewhat loose)

You ended up being correct, by the way. I've made two rings (one to wear, gold plated, and one to display) and on the iris that I decided to attempt disassembly and complete removal of the back blades -- rather than just cutting them short as I did on the first -- and there was a considerable wiggle that made the front blades too loose for comfort. I was able to lay down ~ six layers of vinyl to fill the gap, and that seems to have done the trick.

nickytea, I wonder if the hero prop was made by back-filling, or by removing the material on the back to make it thinner overall. Some day I want to take a crack at my own version.

Last edited by a moderator:
@nickytea, I wonder if the hero prop was made by back-filling, or by removing the material on the back to make it thinner overall. Some day I want to take a crack at my own version.

Now that you mention it, cutting down the height of the casing from the back would also be a great solve. Also curious how the original was assembled.

Just watched it again last night. I think the first thing I'm going to make from it is a set of Cantocoins for BB-8 whenever I get around to building him. I'd love to make a binary beacon set, as well as another 90 things from the movie. I know there was an INT thread for a Cantocoin run that started a while back, but it seems to have died with last year. Should be fun!

I've got a 3d printed Graflex that I might use for the busted saber. That's about the only standalone prop I would be interested in, other than some of the helmets. But the Praetorian guard helmets are pretty far down on my bucket list. Still need to finish my ESB Snowtrooper, acquire the BS TK and Vader reveal helmets, possibly a Kylo helmet, before I work toward the PG helmets. Not to mention, I have a scratch build Mando helmet I'm still working on. And I'm thinking about getting another Mando bucket blank to do an ESB Boba like I just did for my brother.

So, no, TLJ didn't overly inspire me to do any new props.

I have an ESB Graflex kit I need to put together now. I really would like to get a closer look at the outfit Luke wears on Crait.
I've been looking at belts for this costume. I commissioned the crait costume (shirt, tunic, obi, and robe) and I could give you the contact info for the guy making it.

Luke's "cloak" or cape or whatever really bothered me. That costume at the end of the movie, I just didn't like the way the cloak split at the bottom. It just looked awful, to me.

I did like that it was a call back to the ROTJ outfit, but I think it missed the "Mark", so to speak, with that coattail-lookin' clo-cape.

And no, no inspiration from this movie, just disappointment. Utter. Disappointment.

I just watched the fan edit, and no. I appreciate the cutting of some terrible scenes, but this is one turd that will NOT take a polish. I sincerely wish I felt otherwise. I wanted to like the movie, I wanted to enjoy it. But, right off the bat, it was rubbing me the wrong way. The movie begins with a "Yo Mamma" joke, for cryin' out loud. Felt nothing like Star Wars, to me. Then, we get regression in bomber technology (anybody ever heard of a Y-Wing?), just so we can feel a not-so-subtle parallel with WWII. SPACE B-17s!!

And I'll stop there, because I don't wanna think about it any more, I hate feeling what I feel when I think about this movie. But I can't change my honest, natural reaction and feelings toward it. It's really unfortunate.

I remember being surprised that Luke used the Graflex for the final scene. I thought his last penultimate battle would use an upgraded green lightsaber or something.

The use of a Bell & Howell for binoculars was really cool, it did inspire me to try and build one, but I want to learn more about the add-on parts

I loved Jake Skywalker's costumes. That was about it. I intensely hate this movie. Seriously though, some of the costumes were flat out amazing!~

Maybe Luke's shorter Jedi robe from the flash backs, but that's a maybe. Other then that. No. It made me appreciate OT builds more and inspired me to tackle more of them such as my ESB Pilot Luke.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back