Did I say I will never built a kit model? -- Galactica

yuumi2891103

Master Member
The end of the September, typhoon #24 came across the vicinity of my house and blew off the roof of my house in the middle of the night. We had to run around in our house to catch up rain leak with many bowls and pots. In the morning, I call up the carpenter and he came right away. Since then he and his wife have been working on the repair and sometimes his 12 years son came along with them to help. I just thought if I might able to give away something for his son and I just remember the old Monogram/Bandai Galactica kit has been deserted in the junk parts box for more than 20 years. I decided to build it and give it away to him.
That was a quick four days build. The last time I built a kit was more than 30 years ago. And the last time I built this kit was 40 years ago.
I know he might not know anything about that TV show Battle Star Galactica. Hope he likes it.

I know this model is not very accurate as compare to the recent Moebius kit but I built this old kit strait and no re-shaping.
IRzxvY4.jpg

This red acrylic plate will be thrusters.
SYufHeX.jpg

In side of the both flight decks.
Djcd6xE.jpg

And some bits work.
bWtwKmo.jpg

Lighting fiber and LEDs.
YPy9UvE.jpg

Build a display stand and paint job.

IwlLBv1.jpg

9faNGb1.jpg

ufNh7qw.jpg

OBHq9m0.jpg

N9lTBcK.jpg

Ncyd5eL.jpg

7vBikd8.jpg

IFHkvzz.jpg

rqvfGbD.jpg

ncE0pq9.jpg

zaSAMso.jpg

ojwgU7I.jpg

kNlUjrp.jpg

wSPySqV.jpg

A few days ago, I handed this model to the boy's mother.
Next day, the boy came to my house to say thank you.
Looks he is happy with that model.

The damage of that typhoon cost us almost $30,000.
Fortunately, we could cover that with insurance.
The construction will take another 2 or 3 weeks.
And we are all fine and alright.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry your house was damaged. I hope nothing of value was lost.

Very nice work on Galactica! I had that kit when it first came out, and was really impressed at how sturdy it was.

What a nice building for a very kind present.
Further than the kit improvements and the scaring damage (without any human break and with the working insurance !), this is a nice story that you offered to us!

Envoyé de mon SM-G950F en utilisant Tapatalk

That must have been a very scary experience, especially in the middle of the night. Glad you are all safe and I hope your personal belongings were not too badly damaged.

Nice gesture with the model, I'm sure he loves it.

As others have said, glad you and your family are ok.

I for one hope that you will keep on kit building. This build is awesome!
The 12 yr old in me wishes he could have had one of these in his grubby little paws :)

I am so thankful that you all are ok! Your quick kit build is awesome! Makes the old lady look great! Doug

Thank you, Doug-san

Glad to hear you're alright,Yuumi.
The model looks great,thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the kind words, George-san.

I'm so sorry your house was damaged. I hope nothing of value was lost.

Very nice work on Galactica! I had that kit when it first came out, and was really impressed at how sturdy it was.

Thank you very much always, Tom-san. Things are all OK.
Yup, the kit is really sturdy. Thick plastic kit. That's the American volume!

What a nice building for a very kind present.
Further than the kit improvements and the scaring damage (without any human break and with the working insurance !), this is a nice story that you offered to us!

Envoyé de mon SM-G950F en utilisant Tapatalk

Thank you very much for the kind words, Philboug-san.

That was a really scary night. When my wife saw the rain drops leaking like a waterfall, She was dazed and getting sick and fell down to her bed.
Winds are still blowing hard and my house is trembling like a wet cat. I and my daughter Yuki were running around in our house all through the night and finally we were laughing each other some how. She is a very reliable woman for me.

You Sir,

You are a very wonderful and very human being! :)

Than you very much, my friend.

That must have been a very scary experience, especially in the middle of the night. Glad you are all safe and I hope your personal belongings were not too badly damaged.

Nice gesture with the model, I'm sure he loves it.

Thank you very much for the kind words, Bones-san. It was very fortunate for my daughter, all the ballet costumes her made for her business were all OK.

As others have said, glad you and your family are ok.

I for one hope that you will keep on kit building. This build is awesome!
The 12 yr old in me wishes he could have had one of these in his grubby little paws :)

Thank you very much, g0rb-san, I thought the same thing while I built that model.

Again, thank you very much for you kind words for our family, my friends.
Especially, It was very tough year for my wife. Her job is getting hard as she getting many responsibility in her status.
And we've already spent $10000 for broken well pump, broken kitchen oven and dish washer, toilet systems, and every two years automobile inspection for mandated by law (you will hardly believe that usually it cost us more than $2000 every time here in Japan). And then this time....
In Japan, it is said that a male age 61 is a very bad luck year in his life.
If so, I'm so lucky man because we family are all fine.

I built this kit after a long interval this time and thought something about building a kit.
Kit build has it's own attraction which I have been forgetting. Of course, I still love the full scratch build but, both of them have same pure fun for build.

I still have a few kit in a closet up stair and a few days ago, I brought one of them in to my work shack and start to build it.

GDZi6aC.jpg

a5WUtT2.jpg

aLlYcbf.jpg

ZiIxvBG.jpg

0gZo4mI.jpg

4Jv4NrZ.jpg

And also I made a XY slide table.
I always wanted to buy one of those but it is too much expensive for my hobby and cost effectiveness.
So I decided to make a so so precise table by myself.
I got some thick acrylic plates left over and I saved many bolt and nuts for many years.
So I could build this without additional shopping.

Y5p7BP2.jpg

OcJAMVx.jpg

SetrHp2.jpg

isvTL7f.jpg

2nQvNep.jpg

xCB4TFW.jpg

WDAauqy.jpg

h2b91zd.jpg

hdFwjap.jpg

The table is moving very smooth and precisely enough for what I need.
I don't know if I have a chance to use this or if it's really efficient for further build.
But as always, build something is very fun anyway.

It is getting cold, please take a good care of your self my friends and enjoy building!!

katsu

Thanks for looking!!

Wow, so glad you are ok. I've been through many hurricanes, but thankfully none to bad. I know it can be pretty scary. Very nice that you could put together a quick model for the guy helping you. Best wishes.

This was a touching story. As others have said before, so grateful that you and your family are okay. And that your home is being repaired.

The Galactica looked amazing. It's the table, second to your story, that impressed me the most.

All the best,

Ted.

Sometimes it is nice to just build a kit out of the box, not worrying to much about it although what you did looks fantastic

Also great job on the work table!

That really sucks that you had hurricane damage like that. Lucky insurance covers it and everyone is ok. Could have been a lot worse

A few years ago we had a hurricane take out our power for several days. No real damage to the house, but my wife wound up getting sick as it actually got below freezing on a few of those days and she wound up in the hospital with pnuemonia

So Sorry to hear about your recent misfortunes and ordeals regarding your home Katsu - san , but very relieved to know that the most important part , your family and yourself are still safely with us all .
Please take care my friend , we need you sharing your stories , home handyman work , beautiful cooking and wonderfully creative , realised and finished builds ( kits or scratched ! ) for many years to come .

:cheersGed

Wow, so glad you are ok. I've been through many hurricanes, but thankfully none to bad. I know it can be pretty scary. Very nice that you could put together a quick model for the guy helping you. Best wishes.

Thank you, Michael-san. How is going in the new place?

This was a touching story. As others have said before, so grateful that you and your family are okay. And that your home is being repaired.

The Galactica looked amazing. It's the table, second to your story, that impressed me the most.

All the best,

Ted.

Thank you so much, Ted-san.

Sometimes it is nice to just build a kit out of the box, not worrying to much about it although what you did looks fantastic

Also great job on the work table!

That really sucks that you had hurricane damage like that. Lucky insurance covers it and everyone is ok. Could have been a lot worse

A few years ago we had a hurricane take out our power for several days. No real damage to the house, but my wife wound up getting sick as it actually got below freezing on a few of those days and she wound up in the hospital with pnuemonia

Oh, so sorry about your partner. I should think that we were rather lucky.
Thanks for the kind words, Analyzer-san.

So Sorry to hear about your recent misfortunes and ordeals regarding your home Katsu - san , but very relieved to know that the most important part , your family and yourself are still safely with us all .
Please take care my friend , we need you sharing your stories , home handyman work , beautiful cooking and wonderfully creative , realised and finished builds ( kits or scratched ! ) for many years to come .

:cheersGed

Ged-san, your kind words always cheer me up so high.
I hope I will be able to share my new project with you soon.

We got found something today.

Looks like the death star fragging?

TWEMY9l.jpg

2udZ0yF.jpg

xafYt2a.jpg

I bought this at IKEA for about $130.
2 foot diameter.

You normaly do not build kits but when you do you still make them look awesome and then some...

Fantastic as all your builds.

Dear Yuumi, I am just in awe of your good nature. After reading the opening where you roof got blown off, and this lead to you thinking about what you could give to the carpenters son, is just awesome. I was in your beautiful country for the first time in June 2018, and fell in love with it, because of the people. I see so often on build threads (not really RPF, but other sites), negativity, and anger and frustration, and here you are making something for someone else during a time of difficulty for yourself.

Just wanted to say I think you are a terrific person from your posts, how you describe things, how you talk about your family with such love. I hope you continue to spread your kind of humanity as far as you can because I think it is great.

All the best Christiaan

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back