Did I just score big-time? [paint question]

StevenBills

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So my old boss, who has been a model builder for a long long time just came and brought me some old paints because he thought I might be interested. Among them were these:

IMG_6122.jpg

There is no indication of how old they are. No dates, etc... The paper labels are old and crinkly. There were square and round bottles. They can't be old enough to be 1975 paints, can they? They're OLD though. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, did I get lucky here, or what? Can anyone shed some light on how old these paints might be?

SB

First thing first: are they still fairly usable? Those are old...don't think that the brand is still out there:unsure:

joberg All I have done so far is to crack open the reefer white, and boy does it smell like enamel paint. Very strongly. I might need to stir it up with a toothpick or something, but there's no gunk or anything that makes me think it can't be airbrushed.

SB

You scored big time. I have seen these on Ebay for $34.95 and up. Not sure what "year" they are, but I would say they are certainly not less than thirty years old. I forget the trick, but you can "reconstitute" them by adding mineral spirits or somesuch if they are chunky/gooey. And if you are a Y-Wing builder, then the Reefer Yellow and Caboose Red are the key colors for Gold squadron and Red Jammer, respectively.

I wouldn't use them. Just put them on the shelf for display. Archive-X has replicated all of the old star wars Floquil colors used and that paint is easily available via their website. You can get them in enamels and now also acrylics. It's expensive paint, but it's amazing to work with.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back