Diamond Select Star Trek TOS Communicator Modification Project / Replacing Parts

spacerone

Going to start modifying an old Diamond Select Star Trek TOS Communicator I had lying around. Fortunately this one has the metal lid attached. Anyone interested in sharing ideas or participating is welcome to do so!:)

DSC06688.JPG

A little further down the rabbit hole.
DSC06693.JPG

Look what I found, it's a little baby speaker. How cute is that! :lol

DSC06694.JPG

That's better. Now how does that bezel come off. :confused

DSC06695.JPG

I got it! Just press on it. It was glued on.;)

DSC06696.JPG

It's off! :)

DSC06697.JPG

Now back to the project!

I don't want to remove the control plate area which is a tiny bit larger than it should be so I will have to improvise a bit. Time for the Sharpie marker to do it's trick.;)

DSC06700.JPG

Now that's a work of art! :lol

DSC06701.JPG

Time to make some noise. :devil

DSC06702.JPG

Wait that hole is suppose to be a different shape.:cry

DSC06703.JPG

I think that is better but I will have to check it with the replacement control panel part to be sure.:p

DSC06705.JPG

Will be back right after station identification.:lol

A little more magic marker to finish my art work.:lol And a little more filing and presto we have a good fit for the mic.:D

DSC06718.JPG

The control panel area looks much better now. !:thumbsup

DSC06719.JPG

Time for a J-B Weld break! :popcorn

These holes are way too small but a good starting point. Keep them centered if you can.:unsure

DSC06725.JPG

The one on the right is good size now. It is the same size as the original hole was.

DSC06726.JPG

They need a little adjusting though.

DSC06727.JPG

Now those two holes will work .:eek

DSC06729.JPG

Need to find a way to get the new aluminum hubs to attach to the plastic ones.:facepalm

DSC06733.JPG

Stay tuned! I'll be back! :cool

And the project continues.:p

Just installed three little halo's.
How heavenly it looks now.:angel

DSC06739.JPG

It's J-B Weld time again! :popcorn

DSC06740.JPG

Had to trim the spinning wheel so it would fit inside the inner ring.
Went around and around with sand paper.:wacko What a pain! :(

DSC06752.JPG

Now it fits inside without touching the sides.:)

DSC06757.JPG

Now what is the best way to cut circles out of the plastic moires without marking them up. :unsure

Cut the two circles out.
Had to paint the back of the smaller circle with white paint and then put a piece of sticker paper on it so the glue won't show through the paint.

DSC06760.JPG

I off centered the smaller circle so it would look like the alpha hero and placed it on the wheel.

DSC06761.JPG

This is how it looks when placed inside the inner ring with the clear plastic moire centered on top.

DSC06762.JPG

Now with the outer ring on top.

DSC06763.JPG

Now isn't that a nice little spider.:)

DSC06764.JPG

Man, I'm enjoying seeing this progress. ::thumb::

Happy to hear it! :)

I had to reduce the height of the inner ring a little with some sandpaper. It was too tall to fit with motor mechanism in the way.

DSC06750.JPG

After many test fits with the communicator partially assembled with the motor mechanism, clear moire and outer ring in place I was able to determine the correct height and centering for the ring.:)

J-B Weld hold her steady !:lol

DSC06751.JPG

The new alpha ring now fits like a glove.;)

DSC06768.JPG

Time to glue on the painted moire with the paper on back.
Maybe a little to the left.:p

DSC06769.JPG

That looks better. Maybe just a tiny adjustment.:rolleyes

DSC06771.JPG

Now that works for me! ;)

DSC06780.JPG

Last edited:
The silver paint was a little faded at the mid plate area so I added a fresh coat.

DSC06765.JPG

I was told that if you remove one of the solder spots on the circuit board that bridges a connection you can recover one of the Mr. Spock phrases ("Your signal is very weak, can you turn up your gain?").

DSC06755.JPG

So I removed the connection at this location and at first it did not work when I went through the phrases.:( But then I removed the batteries for a short while and reinstall them and pressed the button again to go through the phrases and there it was, the extra phrase. It worked! :) How cool is That! :cool

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back