DH-17 pistol

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by thd9791, Mar 4, 2012.

1. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the DH-17 rebel trooper/empire officer pistol in star wars OT?

I know they were started from a sterling....

In A New Hope, the muzzles had something electronic looking plugging them?

It's clear, transparent, with something red?

Thanks for any info!

2. avianoguitarist

avianoguitarist Active Member

You're talking about the sight, not muzzle.
    Those are SinglePoint scopes and had the red "stick" and clear cap. They was also one on the scout trooper pistols and Chewie's bowcaster.
    This is what they look like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. thd9791

That is very cool, i recognize those! Thank you

Take that back, just watched the scene, and yes, there is nothing in the muzzle, my mistake

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. avianoguitarist

Nope--just an open cone muzzle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. thd9791

Built off of a sterling right? It was the first star wars toy I ever had! shot darts...

6. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

they are selling them again. If im not mistaken they are accurate size too. Maybe a good mod base?

7. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

If they havn´t resized them, no, then the size is not accurate.

8. SD Studios

SD Studios Well-Known Member

The Hasbro toy is a "rough" copy of the MR replica. I remember Lucasfilm telling us that they were giving Hasbro one of our replicas as reference.

And in an interview somewhere, one of the Hasbro reps mentioned that they used it as their pattern.

So it should be pretty accurate if they didn't scale it down...I can't remember...

9. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

The blue one was to small - and if they havn´t made new injection molds (ha, sure they have, sure :lol), the new run will be to small, too.

It´s a toy, made for small children - why shouldn´t they make it smaller to offer them more comfortable toys to run around with?

10. avianoguitarist

This is exactly correct.

11. thd9791

I know there's a toy thread already but Those are so ugly, the older ones were much better

I can second that, they were small, I had one back when you could make toy guns realistic colors, mine was grey and silver, with an orange tip, in the 90's

...and I cannot find a picture of it. It was a pretty cool toy, at least it wasn't blue.

That was when the stormtrooper blasters looked like this

http://i.tfcdn.com/img2/6TV8jEoAY5r...nl5yfq4-RETfU9_UsDIzydXHKajcRy-rIB0A/fyVMtP8A

and han's gun was orange and much too large

12. avianoguitarist

I don't ever remember a toy DH-17 coming out until those first Hasbros a few years ago.

13. thd9791

It wasn't called a DH-17 or a rebel pistol. It came with a luke skywalker belt and toy macrobinoculars. It was some Skywalker acessory kit. Gun? Same thing. :)

14. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

I think it's about an inch and a half short, but most of the dimensions are about right. Excepting a side by side comparison, you really wouldn't notice. I did a repaint on mine and it looks good enough, especially since I bought it second hand for $2. I'm currently rebuilding a second one I aquired into an E-11.

15. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Good enough? Hmmm, each to his own. Without modifications it wouldn´t be good enough for me.

I found this pics of studiocreations:

[​IMG]

Next to each part needs more or less work.

16. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Hasbro is apparently about 1 inch shorter than the MR before and after the trigger assembly. (totalling about 2 inches longer).

However... I have heard that the MR DH-17 replica would be about one inch longer than original strunt casts of the ANH DH-17. Can someone confirm?
    I wonder also if not the ESB and ROTJ versions are also shorter.

That is a modified Hasbro blaster, not a real Singlepoint ... but you were just testing us to see if we would catch it, right. ;)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  17. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would like to know about the ANH version too. Whenever I watch the scene at the beginning, those blasters look a lot smaller than something based on the size of a sterling. To me, those look closer to the size of the current Hasbro toy. Meh... maybe its just me. :confused

18. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've got one of Moff's excellent resin casts from a screen used stunt and seem to remember it being a bit smaller then my MR which I since sold.

19. Mara Jade's Father

Do you have a picture (or link) of that replica?

20. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Over on Partsofsw.com, they have a "decent" shot of the ANH DH-17. They mention that the DH-17 may have been patterned after an experimental Sten replacement, the BSA Model 1949. I don't see any production numbers for that gun, so I doubt any got into the public's hand, let alone the guys at Bapty.

I have a de-milled Sterling L2A3, and just looking at it, there are far too many differences between that and the DH-17. The distance from the trigger/guard to the feed port seems about right, but the distance between the back of the trigger group and the end cap is entirely too short, probably by 2+ inches. That would account for the stubby look, if most people are accustomed to the length of the sterling. The DH-17 is also missing the mounting lugs for the folding stock. Now, on the PoSW site, it shows the opposite side of the gun, and there's no slot for the charging handle, where you would normally see the bolt and return spring.

Since the majority of th DH-17s are background guns, I'd guess they fabricated one or two and made casts, for the rest.

-Fred

21. Mara Jade's Father

The other thing I noticed about the DH-17 pages listed on POSW is that there is no image of the DH-17 used by the Tantive IV troops. You will notice that there is no extension over the barrel (the examples on POSW do). As noted elsewhere, the Tantive IV has a thick trigger guard. Not sure if this is true for all in the scene but all those I do spot appear to be undersized when compared to a sterling.

Also, I cannot get a good look to see if there is any holes on the barrel before the silver area as seen on the other versions of the DL-17. It should be noted that I am being lazy and not pulling out the Blu Rays, but simply going off online screen caps.

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=53014

22. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Only the RotJ version had barrel holes and they were made from real MGC Canadian C1 Sterlings. As far as I know, all the ANH DH17s were resin with real scopes.

Screen used ANH:
    [​IMG]

23. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Did they have scope castings on ANH?

The casting I have is a bit undersized but not by much. I have no idea how many generations down it is, but that will have some effect on the size.

[​IMG]

The castings were also used in ESB:

[​IMG]

24. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Is this DH-17 a RotJ one?

25. Mara Jade's Father

I take it you are referring to the unfinished one on the bottom. If so, what is the origin of the top blaster.

According to POSW, that is a ROTJ.

26. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Do you think there is enough interest to do a run for a few parts CNC machined? For an ANH one. Or one machined proto and then resin casts?

27. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Master Replicas.

28. Mara Jade's Father

Nice work on the mod Clutch. Other than the weathering and real scope, did you do anything else to it.

29. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Thanks. I just put a real grip on it and made the trigger work. I also added an imperial disc to the other side of the trigger group. What I could really use for it now is one of those plastic snap covers for the adjustment dial on the side of the scope.

30. Mara Jade's Father

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  31. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

It was made in the year 1986 so it's not possible to have been made from it.

32. Mara Jade's Father

Ahh, good point. :unsure

If this was a Trek prop we could factor in time travel.

33. Darth Lars

I have only seen clear scope tips in any screen caps from ANH, which leads me to believe that they used real scopes on resin casts.
    The blaster in the picture that Kurtyboy posted had the scope added later. (source).

Those blaster casts are different. The triggers are still present in the casts and the trigger guards are quite thin.
    I wonder if the master for the ESB version was made from scratch with a new barrel.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  34. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

That would explain it. :lol

Do you have any better pics of an ESB?

35. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

36. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Here are a few more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

37. Mara Jade's Father

It is in his holster and I think the handle is facing you... not the scope. See the guy kneeling in the center of the image? Note how the blaster is put in the holster? It is handle forward.

38. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Good images. I'm guessing they were all holstered backwards so the clip wouldn't hit them in the leg.

39. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

In the first pic of post #36 all of them are holstered backwards so your point is perfectly valid. My question is... Did they have the mags on the ANH ones? I guess not, so... They made new ones (diferent from the ANH ones) for ESB?

40. Mara Jade's Father

I have no real info... that being said, it would seem that if all the ANH were resin and made from the same cast, then the ones in ESB I would guess were new casts based on the mag, trigger guard and the extension going from the scope rail over the barrel.

41. Darth Lars

From Stormtrooper's post:
    It is on display at Planet Hollywood in Orlando.
    [​IMG]

.. but wait a minute... There is also this blaster:
    [​IMG]

42. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

43. Mara Jade's Father

That Lando one is pretty interesting. It has the ESB details but the ANH trigger guard.

44. thd9791

could be an ANH cast altered for the first round of ESB props, or just for the publicity photo

and i believe that detail under the scope mount on the side of the gun is used somewhere else, on lukes hoth scanner or something..

45. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

The detail under the scope rail looks to be the camshaft from the visible V8. The detail under that, loos like a missile half, either a sidewinder or a sparrow. Based on the size, possible from a 1/32, or larger, kit. I'm sure most of this stuff is known, though :cool

-Fred

46. Darth Lars

Hmm.. I am not sure, but I am beginning to think that there could be (at least) two slightly different types of cast guns in ANH. The alignment of the trigger assembly against the mag opening are not the same. On one type, the upper portion of the trigger guard is slightly thicker than on the other.
    I need more images!

BTW, has anybody got any good picture of the scope rail area of a ANH blaster, in-between the front and rear sights? Screen-used or n-generation cast. With or without greeblies. Please?

47. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Heavily modded hasbro:

[​IMG]

48. Caveneau

Caveneau Sr Member

Nice work Jonny.
    Pretty nice result, for a Hasbro

49. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

REALLY kicking myself for not doing another tutorial on this build. I will give ya the dirty little secret to making it look "right"...Some say add length to the front, some say add to the back...

It's both.

Just wish I'd added some more to the top rail. The metal "bolt" turned out ok though, happy with that.

50. Darth Lars

I have seen that there are a few people here who own a nth generation cast of a screen-used blaster from ANH. Maybe one could answer this question: Is the top of the scope rail shallower than, as wide as, or wider than the rear sight?

I am building the rail from scratch and would like to know. It does not mind that the cast is shrunk. The rear sight is a Sterling part so the size of that is known.

Last edited: May 19, 2012