Dewy and Anakin Starkiller's Accurate Qui-Gon Jinn Lightsaber Design

Jedifather

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Already have Starkiller’s Maul. Definitely in for an Obi-Wan. Gotta complete the set. I’ll be in for one.
Wouldn’t mind getting 1 or 2 of those panel lamps, too. Just to have.

Last edited:

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Delrin is just for these reproductions. The original heroes are made with cast resin that was painted black.
Delrin will allow us to achieve a dimensional accuracy to the originals that is far more precise than a resin cast piece would be. If we tried to have a master machined and the cast, those castings would shrink and warp in ways particular to their own production conditions and would produce a replica that dimensionally departs from the original we are trying to replicate. I've done the resin casting route, I've done the delrin route. The resin worked good for the Maul, since it was such a large order, since the resin parts did not have to fit inside any metal pieces, and since there really was no particular hero Maul to replicate--just a variety of different castings that were used as belt hangers at different points in filming. But, for the Qui-gon, we have a very particular model that we're copying--as we did with the OWK saber--and so this seems like it will be our best bet for achieving the ultimate in fidelity to the original prop.

Gregatron

Master Member
Delrin will allow us to achieve a dimensional accuracy to the originals that is far more precise than a resin cast piece would be. If we tried to have a master machined and the cast, those castings would shrink and warp in ways particular to their own production conditions and would produce a replica that dimensionally departs from the original we are trying to replicate. I've done the resin casting route, I've done the delrin route. The resin worked good for the Maul, since it was such a large order, since the resin parts did not have to fit inside any metal pieces, and since there really was no particular hero Maul to replicate--just a variety of different castings that were used as belt hangers at different points in filming. But, for the Qui-gon, we have a very particular model that we're copying--as we did with the OWK saber--and so this seems like it will be our best bet for achieving the ultimate in fidelity to the original prop.

Logical, as always.

I've had a hankering for both the Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon sabers since 1999, but have held out all this time for just the right ones. Looks like my patience has paid off. The Maul hilt is fantastic, and now we'll be able to complete the set.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.