DEUS EX - Augmented Arms

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by zookone, Jan 16, 2012.

1. zookone

zookone Well-Known Member

I've started on a new costume project for 2012. Adam Jensen from Deus Ex and his Augmented Arms.

Thought I'd share a bit of the development progress and process.

Game Reference:

[​IMG]

Starting with the game model I'm in the process of preping all the content. I'm planning to sew most the elements above the elbow. Looking into using carbon fiber look vinyl, with batting or foam stiched into it.

The forearm is going to 3D printed after the model cleaned up and sculpted.

I'm planning on having the little pucks light up red. I can't tell if they glow in the game or not but I though this would be cool.

[​IMG]

Splitting the arm into multiple pieces...

[​IMG]

The arm is really sculpted in the game by the Normal Map. With out resculpting the game model looks flat and boring...

[​IMG]

So First step. Rebuild the topology of the model from triangles to quads. there is no easy button for this, needs to be done manually to rationalize good edge flow and eliminate as many triangle polys as possible.

[​IMG]

From there I'm taking the Quad elements, sculpting them with Mudbox.

[​IMG]

Bring the sculpted parts back into 3ds max and use the shell modifier to shell them to create the .stl parts.

kukuruzkin likes this.
  2. Lucien Kane

Lucien Kane Well-Known Member

wow this is a lot of hard work!

3. artanor

artanor New Member

Cool. Love that game (aprt from the boss battles). The black and gold aesthetic of the game looked really classy.

Aren't the red pucks the holes where Jensen's Typhoon ammo comes out?

4. serija

serija New Member

I so can't wait to see your progress and the finished product.

5. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A agree completely, I was a huge fan of the first Deus Ex, and I wasn't dissapointed with this one. Apart from, as you said, the boss battles. And I really felt the black and gold tones throughout the game gave it a Blade Runner-esk feel to it. Loved it.

I'm not sure about where Jensen's Typhoon ammo is deployed, I've only played through once, and I never spent points on unlocking it.

As for the augmented arm, I'm excited to see how this project turns out. I'm just curious to know if you'll be able to manage to make it look like you have an augmented arm, or if it's just going to turn out looking like you're wearing armor.

Keep us updated!

6. Hamsterstyle

Hamsterstyle Well-Known Member

Poke around online, they had a replica of the arm at PAX Prime last year which could give you some ideas.

7. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

I guess the race is on then!

I also have the game model, and I've already quaded the geo. Have fun with that by the way :p

The plan you came up with is literally, word-for-word, the same as what I came up with. Sewing vinyl, batting, etc.

I've got the right deltoid made so far, so the plan works.

I also made the glasses. Seen here:
    http://www.therpf.com/f24/deus-ex-adam-jensen-glasses-134545/

Good luck!

9. zookone

Nice Dude! Quading is a bit of a zen activity. Tune out and enter the zone...

You certainly look the part. a bit more than me. :( * your chiseled good looks. lol.

I've got pretty skinny arms though, so I think I pull the augs off well without them looking like armour.

Post more progress shots, I'd love to see how you're progressing and share build tips

-Z

10. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

Lol. Thanks?

I'm not worried about it looking like armor. I think it will come out fine if you follow the model.

...I say, "the race is on," but actually you'll probably get way ahead of me. I'm very busy these days and this project will probably go up to Halloween.

Let me know when you find the carbon-fiber patterned vinyl. I've searched a bit and all i come up with is vinyls for your car, which may totally work, but they tend to be more expensive. I want just plain old vinyl that has a pattern on it.

I would also be interested in your ideas for how to fix the deltoids and other upper arm muscles to your own shoulders. I'm currently testing that with craft foam.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  11. zookone

Yeah all I've found is Automotive Vinyl, $15 a yard is not bad though probably only gonna need a yard max for both arms. I order samples and I think it will work out ok. I'm planning to sew the arms as sleeves onto a full skin tight shirt.

Attached are a few more shots of the sculpts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonna move onto some other parts and stew on these for while.

12. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

Me too. Upper arms will be sewn into a tight shirt. I've picked up a cheap Under Armor shirt. My only concern is that they're so thin. I would prefer a thicker skin-tight shirt so stuff doesn't sag.

I've also come across a vinyl with carbon fiber pattern which is also a bit stretchy. Having tried a quick test with craft foam (see below), it's clear that there might be some issues with the deltoids when you raise your arms and having them arch or bunch up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can probably see, it's a little too big. I put another upper arm together last night that fits great. This was just a size and foot-print test.

Nice modeling by the way. Looks good. As you can see in the pic, I went all the way to low-poly so I could print out templates. I just did a slight relax on the UVs.

At this point I'm waiting on some leather-grade needles for the sewing machine. The stuffed vinyl test I did last week was only hot glued.

Any plans for the blades? I've been playing with the idea, but man it'll be tough. I've got the mechanism for extending and retracting a "hidden blade" figured out, but figuring out how to have the forearm open and close is proving to be very difficult.

13. zookone

I think the EVA foam would be to stiff in the shoulder. I'm planning on using upholstery foam and batting to plump it up a bit.

These are links to the Carbon Vinyl I found. I like option #1 better. It only stretches in one direction so you need to plan your pattern layout accordingly.

Upholstery Vinyl Classic Black Carbon Fiber | DIY Upholstery Supply

Carbon Fiber Soft "Black"

I've been working on drafting upper arm sewing patterns. I'm going to pick up some scratch fabric this week to build a prototype.

[​IMG]

14. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

Here's another test I did. The fabric is this glossy stuff. Looks very close to the CG trailer Jensen arms. I have a sample of carbon fiber on the way.

I used upholstery foam, gray binding for the seams, and spray adhesive. It worked well.

EDIT: I also used a piece of 1/8" craft foam to which I glued the upholstery foam. This created a flange to which I could attach the gray seams.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  15. Bradleyw

Bradleyw Well-Known Member

this is gonna look awesome. very interested to see how it works out

16. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

This has been very good reference for me:
    [​IMG]
    http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2966/augmentedfootballarm.jpg

Even though I have the 3d model, there are some pertinent distinctions between the in-game model, the cutscene model (what I have), and the hi-res, CG model used for these trailers:
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Cinematic Trailer - YouTube

The image above, taken from the "Purity First" / "Sarif Industries" commercials, shows a very realistic augmented arm. A friend of mine suspects that at least the upper arm is an actual prop (not CG). That said, it was important to make certain decisions when it came to directly copying the mesh vs. sort of free-handing some areas. I've found that the mesh I have, while accurate, needs some tweaking and re-shaping to give the proper look on my arm. -My 2 cents

17. zookone

The arm muscles are looking good, you've got a nice profile on the strands. Thanks for those other reference sources. I forgot about those two videos. they will be of help for sure.

I know what you mean about differences between a highres model and the in game outfit. I've been working on the combat vest. I found this reference which is pretty sweet image. It has some differences from the game, which I like better. I like the chrome button head bolts and green gloss armour. I'm planning on going more this direction. I've got the vest pattern about done, the back-to/neck/collar area is really tough though. I think I'm on like cardboard mock-up #4. Gotta pick up a couple more boards of chipboard actually...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. zookone

Some progress photos of the prototyping patterns for the upper arm and flak/tactical vest.

I found some cheap vinyl that seemed to have pretty close properties to the carbon look stuff I'm going to order this week. That is what I used to build the mock-up of the pattern, I had to take it in quite bit from what I started with. I did to much actually. I'm working on refining the upper arm patterns. I need to puff the fabric a bit more for the bicep and tricep. The plan is to individally lace the deltoid sections to base shirt with elastic cording, this will allow them to move and stretch naturally beneath the vest and not bunch up.

I'm not happy with the batt fill I got, it packs to stiff so I'm going to have to buy something more expensive, than the cheap suff.

I didn't add the welting to the prototype. I'm going to have to make my own welting/piping, all I can find online is to too burly to follow the tight curves. I need to buy a welting presserfoot for my machine and some cording.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

When you figure out the flak vest completely can you release the pattern? It looks so awesome!!

20. zookone

Yes, once I get the patterning finished up and costume completed I'll be releasing my patterns.

Waiting on some supplies I order to move forward on a parts.

I started work on the leg side bag pattern.

[​IMG]

RSloan76, I'm going to need to order more cordura fabric for parts than I need. Are you interest in sharing some of the stuff needed for the build?

21. Rysjin7717

Rysjin7717 Well-Known Member

Zookone, it's Lookin pretty nice bra can't wait ta see it finished.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Tapatalk

22. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

That's ok. I've got everything I need. Thanks though :)

The upper shoulders required a lot of testing before I got the right patterns to use. I used upholstery foam which I "sculpted" with a turkey carver, then I used craft foam to create a flange around each muscle to which I could attach the gray strips. I used this wonderful adhesive called Fabri-Tac. It's workable, but still grabs quickly. I don't need to sew anything which is great since I can't really use a sewing machine :p

Barring any unforeseen complications, these are final muscles. Once I have all the upper arm pieces for both arms done, I will affix them to the black, spandex shirt. That way they won't crease as they bend over my shoulders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

questionstar likes this.
  23. zookone

Your muscles are looking good, are you using patent stretch spandex. I should receive the carbon vinyl on Thursday, I have some new progress photos this weekend.

In the meantime I worked on the center/back of the tactical vest. It was raised up a bit some i'm going to build this and lower back belt piece out of pep and fiberglass.

Half of the tactical belt back plate:

[​IMG]

Center back section of tactical/flak vest:

[​IMG]

24. Rysjin7717

Rysjin7717 Well-Known Member

Looks like a good plan Zookone.:cool

25. Rikarus

Rikarus Well-Known Member

wicked!!! Muscles look great!

26. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

I'm not sure about what kind of spandex I'm using. It's a cheap, Target, Champion-brand spandex shirt. -I am concerned that if I affix the muscles to that shirt, it will just pull up on the shirt. I'm hoping the vest will hold it down though.

Take a picture of the carbon fiber when you get it, I would really like to see what it looks like and how it works out.

I'll be interested in how your pep-fiberglass parts come out.

27. aeonpulse

it's coming together nicely!

28. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

Check this out:
    Deus Ex Adam Jensen IRL [Cosplay]

Looks very well done, but he should've gone with darker pants. The pattern on the chest is a little too strong too.

No arms either apparently.

29. zookone

That cosplay is pretty solid. Been working on mine still. Good new also, was able to secure tickets to Comic-Con Sd so working towards that for the completion target.

Minor update tonight. I got a few of the peps complete for the tactical vest and tactical belt back plates. Below are shots of the peps before I fiberglassed them this morning. I should have another update tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Please Please Please release the peps.....

31. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

Question: Why and how do you pep it with it still built into the paper like that?

On another note: We seem to be on similar schedules. I've not done anything for about a month, then last week I bought more supplies and just about finished out the upper arm muscles. If we keep this up, we could have one entire costume between us soon. = Useless :lol

Here they are:
    [​IMG]

32. zookone

As far as my peps. There are quite a few reasons mine look different. I do use Pepakura software. I unfold the model as little as possible and only at areas with a significant angle crease. Because these elements are smooth arcs, I made the peps with more of foam method, turning down the angle edges to like 160-163 degrees.

However I then export the unfolded model to DXF. I have an old HP7475A pen plotter that can draft on 11x17 paper. Since the paper is held flat I can run very heavy card through the plotter. I use smooth face bristol board actually. 11x17 lets me create larger areas of pep uncut as well, which is good. I use AutoCAD to scale, finalize the pep layout on the 11x17 paper. So basically they look different due to the DXF and pen plotter.

The back belt plate pep is made straight from the game model with some minor tweaks in 3ds max. The vest back plate is made in FormZ and brought it into 3ds max so I could use the warp lattice modifier, this let me warp the flat model I made into and arc to contour to the curved back of the vest.

Your Synthetic Muscles are looking awesome! I'll post mine soon. I have the left side done but can't decide if I want to rework them, especially after seeing yours. I was unable to work out a solution for the grey trim. I tried lots of stuff but gave up. I think it is a bit of a trade off, use the carbon fabric with no trim or switch fabric and add the trim. I'll need some feedback...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  33. zookone

Started work on modifing the game model to create the peps for the shoulder straps on the tactical vest.

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of the peps trimmed up. I'm in the process of refining these pieces and smoothing them out with bondo.

[​IMG]

34. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

I ran into a problem that I'd thought I'd share so you don't make the same mistake.

As you know, I used upholstery foam with a thin, craft foam backing. Seen here:

This is the biceps
    [​IMG]

-This is still a good method, and I recommend it, but I ran into trouble when connecting the muscles to each other. I connected them with strips of elastic. Kind of like actual epithelial tissue between muscles! This makes it so the the joints between the muscles are where the whole thing bends around your arm. This created a problem with the shape of the cross-section:

[​IMG]

That spot where that round thing is and the gold plating needs to be stiff and flat. I'm going to address this by cutting a wedge out of the triceps and biceps allowing them to bend around my actual muscles. I'm also going to try to cut a plate out of styrene for that gold plate so it will stiffen up that area.

The arms will be a complete failure (for anybody) if you don't get that area right. It's the main visual focal point for the arms!

35. aeonpulse

Any progress on this? I finished Human Revolution for the third time this weekend, and remembered this project. I'm really interested to see how the completed arms turn out.

36. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

UPDATE: The main issue is not so much the joints between the muscles as much as it all needs a rigid base to attach to.

This is very important for all the muscles to sit properly. I took a piece of 1.0mm styrene and cut out this shape (in gold):

(I'm at work at the moment so I had to draw this up in Photoshop)
    [​IMG]

By attaching the muscles to this "cuff," they should all sit properly, and wrap around my arm properly.

My new problem: I cut that shape out of a styrene sheet, and I start to bend it into a round shape. I can get it so it can wrap around my arm, but it starts to crack at those corners in the shape. It also wants to bend at those points.

I need something thicker to make this cuff out of. I'm thinking a section of PVC pipe, but I feel like that will be too thick and bulky. What I really need is something that's about 1/8" thick that I can cut out, then shape into a cylinder. Any ideas? -Cheap would be good too.

37. AxiomUltra

AxiomUltra Active Member

Anytime you get a change in direction on your material such as the corners in your shape you're going to naturally create weak points in the design. I worked on something similar involving a plastic sheet that needed to arc to be used as a visor. By trying to bend the material it would break starting at corners similar to your part.

I was able to curve the piece without breaking it by securing the part from the middle on a foam buck and gradually heating each side with a heat gun - allowing gravity to form the shape as I worked around it.

38. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

Yup, I had it duct taped around a plastic thermos. I submerged it in boiling water, and it worked, but I may have left it in a smidge too long. I could probably eventually get it right and not have it start to crack at the weak points, but I think I would like to explore other, simpler options.

That said, I just picked up a Rubbermade bathroom trashcan. It's an oval shape, and it's easily bendable. I think this could work. Will post when I've attempted it.

39. zookone

We could create a Pep for this piece and and fiberglass it. I was thinking of making this piece out of 1/4" foamy at first.

40. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

At those corners try drilling a hole like in alot of circular saw blades, that helps to remove the stress on corners.
    Or try bending the styrene and then cutting it to shape. I would still drill the holes though.

41. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

I've considered the fiberglass pep idea. I've never worked with it before, and I know it's extremely noxious. Not really set up to work with it, but it does remain an option.

I also considered 1/4" foamy. I don't have any at the moment, but I may get some and try it.

I did bend it before cutting to shape. In the end, the styrene is too thin. I had a bunch already, so I tried it. Not sure about drilling holes: Keep in mind that this piece and all those corners, will be visible in the end. It's the gold plate on the side of the upper arm.

I'm going to try this plastic trash can tonight (or finish ME3), then I'll try the 1/4" foam idea. if the foam works, that would be awesome since it's a cinch to cut and shape, and it'll be soft around my arm.

42. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

Yup, 1/4" foam will work. Thanks for the final motivation in deciding to try it. The garbage can can go back to Home Depot now.

(The white one is the styrene one I shaped by boiling).

[​IMG]

43. zookone

Getting close to finished with the vest. boy this thing was quite a challenge. My patterns got me pretty close till the neck. Getting the one piece around the neck was really tough. I ended up picking up a used mannequin to form on. Otherwise not sure I could have gotten this far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

44. zookone

Vest update. Reworked the back and sides a bit. There is a few things I would do different if I remade the whole thing... but overall it looks pretty close to source reference. Once I switched to foam the carboard templates need modded. It took a ton of time to get to this point. I've run out of steam reworking and reworking and reworking parts. Things would go a lot faster if they were right the first time :facepalm

I think it will look better once painted and my chrome bolts go in. Right now wet sanding the modge podge to get a smooth finish for painting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

45. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

That looks pretty good so far!

46. RSloan76

RSloan76 Active Member

That looks awesome! Good job!

Wanna trade templates? I'll give you the arms, and you give me the vest? :love

Almost done with the right upper arm:
    [​IMG]

47. moose

moose Active Member

^ wooooow, that looks sick!

48. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Yeah that looks great!

49. zookone

That looks awesome! Totally lets share. I think your upper arms are looking way better than mine. I will clean up my templates for you and add some notes for recommended revisions.

-Z

50. zookone

Put a coat of primer on the vest but forgot my can of green with a friend at work this week so didn't get to start painting yet. The reveals on the vest parts are not going to be strong enough. I'm a bit bummed with this. In hindsight I should have used an 1/8" thick foam spacer.

In other news, ordered most of the 3D prints for the left arm tonight. Should ship out May 31st. I've gotta get cracking to finish by Comic-Con.

[​IMG]