Destiny thorn gun

lozalop18

Hey everyone! So I started getting into props and making things more and more this past year, i started seeing a lot of guns that people make online and costumes and i wanted to give it a go myself. After a lot of research and googling i decided to go with the Thorn Gun from Destiny the game. Since i am a huge fan of the game. :) Me and my bro bought a 3D printer about a year back so we decided to print one up that we found online. The design was posted up by a man named KIRBY DOWNEY who has posted several files for print. SO THANK YOU TO YOU GOOD SIR!
After printing and putting it together, i decided to mold and cast. i know there is already a lot of Thorn Guns out there already that people have made in the past, but i liked this one a lot since it has a working trigger and spinning barrel and i figured id learn a thing or two a long the way. So here are some pics of the progress, i have been at this for about 2 months now on my spare time. First thing i learned, its expensive to mold! lol Let me know what you think!
image.jpg
HERE IT IS ALL PRINTED UP IN BLACK ABS
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
HERE IT IS FULLY ASSEMBLED AND PUT NEXT TO A RULER FOR SIZING :D AND THE BARREL OPEN WITH BULLET. DETAIL IS STELLAR!
BELOW ARE PICTURES OF THE MOLDING PROCESS FOR THE MAIN CANNON PART, I PUT THE TWO PIECES TOGETHER WITH MAGIC SCULPT, SANDED, PRIMED AND SANDED SOME MORE. THEN I MADE THE BOX OF FOAM BOARD AND FILLED IT WITH CLAY, THE OTHER PIECES WERE DONE THE SAME WAY, I JUST DONT HAVE ANY PICTURES OF THE MOLD ON THOSE YET, ILL TAKE SOME AND UPLOAD THEM ALSO.
Picture 035.jpgPicture 013.jpgPicture 002.jpgPicture 003.jpgPicture 005.jpgPicture 028.jpgPicture 029.jpgimage.jpg
HERE ARE SOME FINISHED PICTURES OF THE CASTED AND PRIMED GUN :D
Picture 037.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Looks like some good pulls and nice work. What was your method for removing the print lines? Lots of sanding and filler primer? I am still working on a less labor intensive method to reduce the lines... but little progress has been made.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back