Destiny SunShot

amuelb

I recently got into making props with my 3D printer to keep me busy between my cosplays (see my HZD:Watcher cosplay build progress here). I'm also using it as a way to learn how to 3D print, 3D model, and use an airbrush. I was hoping to get some advice, input, and suggestions for what to make next or how to improve.

Here is my first finished prop from Destiny, the SunShot.
Sunshot_1.jpg
Sunshot_2.jpg

STL Files: OddWorks (thingiverse)
Printer: QIDI Tech One
Material: PLA
Time: 1.5 Months
Prop: Destiny SunShot
Airbrush: Iwata
Paint: Tremclad Spraypaint and Vallejo Airbrush Paints
Colours used: Black, Gun Metal, White, Gold, Copper, Violet, Blue, Black

damn if thats a first try at 3d printing and air brushing you have some skills!! so no advice here - your better than me - as for ideas - well destiny and horizon so gaming seems like a theme - how about kratos axe from god of war?

damn if thats a first try at 3d printing and air brushing you have some skills!! so no advice here - your better than me - as for ideas - well destiny and horizon so gaming seems like a theme - how about kratos axe from god of war?
Thank you so much! There is a lot of trial and error involved, and a looooot of patch work on the parts that printed poorly. I have a lot of learning to do before I feel fully comfortable with either. But I am really really grateful thank you!
I am open to tv show props as well :) I did love god of war, doing a kratos axe would be really cool, especially if i can get it to get that blue godly glow!

Blink, Blink, Blink and rub my eyes!
I too must say really good results on all aspects of the prop! :)

As a prop maker, some of the finishing work is all part of the hobby and adds to the feeling of "see what I did".
3D printing gets you the "starter buck" and the hand finishing gets you the recognition.

You should defiantly show case this in your portfolio.

Nice job :)

Last edited:
That turned out awesome. Was it a filament or resin printer you used for this? If it is from a fdm printer, then you did a heck of a good job on the clean-up just to remove print lines, and then you topped it off with a top-notch paint job. Looks amazing.

Always thought the Destiny hand cannons were scaled wrong - too large - whereas most of the other weapons seemed to be scaled properly to the characters. When I printed some in the past, I always scaled them down a bit, so the grips seemed to be about the same size as rifles. Proportionally it looked better to me.

If this is the quality you are already at regarding prop making and painting, then I can't wait to see more from you in the future. Well done.

i made a modified crimson hand cannon and its not so much the size thats the problem - its that the grips are just rectangular section so horrible to hold onto - i modified mine to make a more realistic grip - here are the two guns i did - bottom one is closer to the original but its not perfect cause the files i used weren't quite right and had overlapping areas so i had to chop a bit off the top white bit to make it fit

when i remodelled the gun i also made some changes - that tiny combat knife the handle is to small to be of any use so i made it a bayonet and added a picatiny rail - also made the rear sight more..........well pleasing to my eye

anyway really should finish it sometime - sadly my attempts to hide all the print lines while i thought not bad,cant match up to your efforts on sunshot

PSX_20190820_214134.jpg

Last edited:
Blink, Blink, Blink and rub my eyes!
I too must say really good results on all aspects of the prop! :)

As a prop maker, some of the finishing work is all part of the hobby and adds to the feeling of "see what I did".
3D printing gets you the "starter buck" and the hand finishing gets you the recognition.

You should defiantly show case this in your portfolio.

Nice job :)

Thank you so much! It was a lot of work but I am really happy with the results!
Learning to prep and paint a 3d prop was a really interesting challenge.

The finishing work is for sure the most satisfying but frustraiting parts... but I feel like a lot of people dont do it, it's a shame.
Exactly! And the starter buck was pretty rough, this gun needed a lot of work (since I'm new to printing it took a LIFETIME to fix my mistakes from my poor quality prints).

I apprecaite it, I will add it to my portfolio if you think it is good enough!
Thank you again, seriously!

That turned out awesome. Was it a filament or resin printer you used for this? If it is from a fdm printer, then you did a heck of a good job on the clean-up just to remove print lines, and then you topped it off with a top-notch paint job. Looks amazing.

Always thought the Destiny hand cannons were scaled wrong - too large - whereas most of the other weapons seemed to be scaled properly to the characters. When I printed some in the past, I always scaled them down a bit, so the grips seemed to be about the same size as rifles. Proportionally it looked better to me.

If this is the quality you are already at regarding prop making and painting, then I can't wait to see more from you in the future. Well done.
Thank you so much! The print is done with PLA filament on a Qidi Tech One printer. The clean up of the lines took a lot of work and a lot of time, I went from a 220 grit down to a 600 grit wet sand. I did multiple coats of bondo, filler primer, and sanding before I was happy with the final product. I do wish I owned some needle files at the time though, I wasn't able to sand down in any of the line details in the handle and I feel like it could have been better if I had been able to sand in them as well.

I feel like they are a little too large as well, I printed this one at 100% and it feels awkwardly heavy in the front... I don't know how anyone would be able to use one in real life. I think in future I will scale it down or add some weight to the back of the gun so that it doesn't feel so front heavy.

Thank you again, I plan to build all my props at this level of quality or higher... I really want to break into more professional prop making so this was just the first step! More soon I promise!

amuelb,

A big WOW goes out to you on your Costume build!
I hadn't seen that project posting during the build.
I had know idea you are so talented and very detail oriented.
Now you are doing hand props and detail pieces for your CosPlay.
Thumbs Up!

i made a modified crimson hand cannon and its not so much the size thats the problem - its that the grips are just rectangular section so horrible to hold onto - i modified mine to make a more realistic grip - here are the two guns i did - bottom one is closer to the original but its not perfect cause the files i used weren't quite right and had overlapping areas so i had to chop a bit off the top white bit to make it fit

when i remodelled the gun i also made some changes - that tiny combat knife the handle is to small to be of any use so i made it a bayonet and added a picatiny rail - also made the rear sight more..........well pleasing to my eye

anyway really should finish it sometime - sadly my attempts to hide all the print lines while i thought not bad,cant match up to your efforts on sunshot
Sorry for the slow reply, I keep replying to as many as I can whenever my work is saving!

I can see what you mean about the Crimson Hand Cannon, it does seem quite square at the handle.... I find a lot of their weapons aren't exactly designed to be ergonomic, they never really fit comfortably into a hand. You know?

Damn it still came out really well either way! What do you print yours on? I don't know too much about 3D modelling (I used to study it but I'm super rusty) you're really good at modding your prints, I wish I knew how to do that.

Its a lot of work to fill the lines, it's hours of sanding from 220 to 600 grit... dry and wet sanding. I also used large amounts of bondo, filler primer, and wood filler. As long as you stick too it and do it one part at a time, you will get it smooth I promise!

Very nice work. I can't see any layers. What was it printed on amuelb ?

TazMan2000

Thank you so much! It was printed on a QIDI Tech One using the supplied PLA (the sample pack.... I haven't even broken into my purchased filaments yet!) The machine is really nice and allows for dual extrusion and ABS + PLA. I am really impressed with it, it's really easy to use too!
To fill the lines I sanded from 220 to 600 grit, both dry and wet sanding. I also used large amounts of bondo, filler primer, and wood filler!

amuelb,

A big WOW goes out to you on your Costume build!
I hadn't seen that project posting during the build.
I had know idea you are so talented and very detail oriented.
Now you are doing hand props and detail pieces for your CosPlay.
Thumbs Up!

Thank you so much! Yeah I usually do large robot builds with moving parts, sound effects and lights! I started cosplaying with an Issac Clarke build (foam build with LEDs only), then I moved to Chappie (foam build with LEDs, servo motors, arduino, and vinyl decals) and then lastly my Watcher cosplay (foam build with colour changing LEDs, sound effects, vinyl decals, and moving legs, neck, tail and head).

I never really made small handheld props before this, so I'm excited to get more into it. I want people to hold the guns in their hand and feel like it's real even from that close up... like people feel when they see my costumes from 8-10 ft away. Thats my hope :)

Thank you so so soooo much... we are our own worst critic and getting positive feedback makes me want to improve and keep building. So, thank you!

without needle files how on earth did you get the chamber soooooo smooth? it looks injection molded not printed
Honestly, tons and tons and tons of sanding... I folded up the sand paper and sanded it in multiple directions... filled with putty, sanded again, filled with putty, sanded, filler primer, sanded... I even painted it black and then resanded and repainted it because it wasn't smooth enough... I still was not fully happy with the chamber to be honest... one side was rougher than the other, so I just photographed it from the side I preferred ;) sneaky sneaky.

OMG that watcher!! how did i miss that, its amazing work. i love that game too

anyway i'm using cr-10 s4 - i went big so i could print things like helmets etc without having to break things into parts (just finished a 105hr print oh that was nerve wracking specially as the part cooling fan failed half way through but it finished without issue) - i've modified it a bit too which is pretty easy to do so thankfully - only a single print head though so although i can do big i cant do clever things with dissoluble supports etc - not really an expert in 3d printing - but my advice is to print a temperature tower - you have to set it up in the slicer to that each section prints at a different temperature but it lets you see what temp gives the best results on your printer

as for the sanding :) you've got more patience than me - i'll start at about 100 and finish at 200 - by then i'm bored stupid - recently i've tried xtc-3d resin to smooth out the lines - works great but small details and sharp lines can be lost so maybe not for everything - organic shapes though its great

and as for the photographing the good side :) well display objects can only be seen on one side right??? :) think we've all done that

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back