Destiny hunters blade build (pic heavy)

Crispy Props

I found the plans for the Destiny hunters blade on bungi's website and had to drop my current project and make one.

Some of my methods are a tad unoththadox as I am not very computer minded but they work if you're on a budget.

I started by putting the image on my TV and zooming in till it was the correct size and tracing it onto some 18mm ply wood. Then cutting it out with a scroll saw.
image.jpg

It was then sanded into a ruff shape using a bench sander and some good old elbow grease.
image.jpg

Once shapped the holes were drilled out and the finer edges done with a dremil with a drum sanding bit attached. I thinned the grip a little to make it more comfortable to sit in the hand. I also noticed that the cutting edge was not correct so that was also fixed. (Still no idea how I got that wrong to start with).
image.jpg

To remove the wood grain I gave it a hit of Gray cellulose industrial primer, sanded it back and repeat as many times as was needed.
image.jpg

The logo was cut from 0.5mm styrene and then backed onto more 0.5 for a crisp finish.
image.jpg

An area was dremiled out approximately 1mm down and the pieces glued in.
image.jpg

The gap was filled lovingly with car body filler (or bondo to those over seas) and sanded back.
image.jpg

To ensure the primer didn't clog the detail it was masked over and more coats were added for a smooth finish.
image.jpg

Having no idea how I was going to archive the circular details I decided to take a diffrent approach. By making a circle piece smaller than the exterior circle it would leave the desired gap. I drilled out the circles in 1mm styrene and backed it. Filled the circles with filler and sanded them smooth and poped them out.
image.jpgimage.jpg

I oversized the holes in the blade and filled them so when drilled it would be a clean cut and not a ruff wood one.
image.jpg

The detail round the finger grip was a tad more difficult. I carved out a groove and filled it with filler with less kicker for a longer work time. A pre-made circle with an overhang was pushed into it and left to set.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

After some unmasking and sanding back it was given a thin coat of primer and now onto casting (when time allowes)
image.jpg

Thanks guys.

I'm not much of a painter (as close to colour blind as you can get). I'm going to be casing it in Smooth-on 305 with different metal powders powdering to mold, starting with aluminium. That way it an be buffed up with 00 wire wool and look quite shiny and negates the need to paint :D
Just need to wait for a clear day to make the mold (being Scotland that could take a while)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back