Destiny Hunter Bladedancer costume

Merentha

I only had 2 weeks to put together my Halloween costume this year and I really wanted to do a hunter from Destiny, so the crunch began... I didn't finish all the pieces I wanted to or get all the details done but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'll probably do a bit more work before taking it out to the next fan expo. Sorry it's a bit light on progress photos since I was in such a rush I kept forgetting to take pictures.

My reference was partially the live action trailer and partially made up and from various other hunter refs.

DestinyHunterRef.jpg

The design on the cloak was pieced together with panels of fabric rather than painted on

DestinyHunterwip02.jpgDestinyHunterwip01.jpg

I sewed the top with lycra knit and stretch faux leather trimmed with some of my light grey cloak fabric to make that distinctive paneled stomach look most of the hunter designs have

DestinyHunterwip03.jpg

The armor was eva foam with a few rivets and a plumbing connector for the tubing to be added later. Luckily I had a template from my Shepard costume that I reused for the chest.

DestinyHunterwip08.jpgDestinyHunterwip04.jpg

Grenade holder made from worbla and grenade made from plumbing pipe and those plastic eggs filled with silly putty from the dollar store

DestinyHunterwip05.jpg

The mask was built around a pair of snowboarding goggles with foam and worbla...first time using worbla, which I liked but didn't have enough time to sand to the smooth finish I wanted. The round filter is the lid from an air freshener I found at the dollar store wrapped in worbla. You never know what will be useful. I also used plastic needlepoint mesh in the nose area, made for easy breathing (other than the sweet smell of e6000)

DestinyHunterwip06.jpg

I wanted to do the buckles in some other material but foam to save time...

DestinyHunterwip07.jpg

Managed to get it done after a few sleepless nights. Finished pics coming soon

Last edited:
The arc blade was my favorite part (in game too). I don't have any WIP shots, but it's laser cut fluorescent blue acrylic glued to a flashlight and wrapped in worbla and cord. The engram is polypropylene painted with purple glass paint and filled with purple LEDs. It took fewer hours than getting one in the game.

OHmFa5B.jpg

The foam armor was sprayed with plastidip and painted with acrylic airbrush paints (just brushed on). I didn't notice the scarf was covering my carefully stenciled emblem on the chest in every. single. photo.

L3SDg69.jpg

7P3DuyB.jpg

KNv0lCr.jpg

Tried a new to me method for paint chips I saw online - base coat of silver, painting where I wanted chips in mustard, spraying over it in black and wiping off the mustard. I was doubtful but it actually worked really well.

WhTyct2.jpg

rdEXw6s.jpg

I noticed in the live action trailer there were some things dangling from the belt, some of them looked like teeth so I made these from Sculpey and a little brown paint the morning before I wore it to work, not that I was cutting it close with the time or anything.

KEVPtTc.jpg

Given more time I'll probably add a bit more weathering (ie. the shirt looks too clean compared to the rest), panels to the pants, more armor for legs and arms...but that's it for now. Time to sleep for a few days.

Attachments

• KNv0lCr.jpg
    KNv0lCr.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
How did you acquire that amazing knife? Did you have the resources yourself or did someone make it for you? I've been thinking of ways to make an Arc Blade, and you blew it out of the water!

Thanks all! erickste, the knife blade is acrylic I laser cut and etched at a local hackspace, but you can get it done online at those sites like ponoko. If I'd had more time I probably would've done that since the fluoro blue acrylic was really hard to source locally (luckily I had a bit leftover from a previous project, but I had to cut it in two parts and glue it back together, not ideal). The base is just an LED flashlight covered in worbla and painted. The worbla really helped with securing the blade to the flashlight.

Ah, gotcha. I'm new to all these 'hardware' resources for costuming, so I'm definitely taking notes on all of these construction ideas. Very inspiring! Keep up the good work!

so envious of people being able to manipulate the foam to make such great looking costumes, im really tempted to do one in foam now!

That Hunter costume is absolutely amazing! I'm geeking out over the Arc blade and Legendary Engram especially! Sorry if this is a dumb question but, how big are the pentagon shapes you used to make up your engram and how many pieces of acrylic sheet did it take? I might have my laser cutter guy make one for me.

Thanks! The engram isn't acrylic, just a thin sheet of polypropylene plastic (.7mm I think it was). So it was cut out from a template like this and folded into shape. Each face is about 6cm. It would definitely look more impressive made out of some fluoro acrylic (but too time consuming for my quick build), I'd love to see it if you end up doing that.

Absolutely beautiful work!!! What were the measurements for the blade? Im thinking of making my costume for the 1st time - hope I didnt bite off more than I can chew

The gloves were reused from my Commander Shepard costume, and originally were motorcycle gloves I bought on ebay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ICON-BLACK-A...291444069638?var=&hash=item43db6b9506&vxp=mtr

I'm not sure about the grieves since I haven't done much organic work. I'd probably go for Worbla, but I'm sure others with more experience will have better advice :)

To the member who messaged me about the cape fabric, the forum says your account doesn't accept email replies so hopefully you'll see this. The fabric is just regular cotton broadcloth that I dyed with RIT fabric dyes (some combo of black and brown, I did a few experiments to get the color right). I ran it through the dryer a few times to soften and age it a bit.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back