Destiny Grasp of Malok Build

JustFLyCasual

Hey yall!

This is actually my first build, and I realize how big of a undertaking this project will be, and it's probably going to be a while till it all comes together, but hey gotta start somewhere first right?

I've really enjoyed my time playing destiny and was inspired by some of the great fan projects and cosplay I've seen come out of the Destiny universe. Bungie games have always had such a great and devoted fanbase and Destiny is no different. Currently at the time of writing this, the Grasp of Malok is one of the most powerful and sought after guns in the game for PVP encounters. Anyone whose faced an opponent with a god roll Grasp can tell you how much this thing rips.

d193cfe8bc90609aaba8ea08b49c640dc620eef6_hq.jpg

Starting off I know I needed great blueprints or this was a doomed project from the start. After scouring the internet I finally found out that while there was no direct blueprints of the Grasp, the in-game model was based around the base model of the pulse rifle gun class archetype. SOLID. Was able to find a great Hi-rez image of the base pulse rifle and was able to use Illustrator to turn those into blueprints.

I will post the image below incase any other destiny foam-smiths would like to use that base image.

My intentions are to go all out on this build. I want to end with a screen ready prop that features a working mag release as well as turning that front bottom cylinder into a flashlight.

Since this is my first build, I wouldn't mind some advice from the community. Should I complete a full foam build and then cast as one big prop?, or cast piece by piece and assemble it into the final build?

Thanks!

Destiny_Assault_Rifle_2.jpg

Excellent work on the blueprint! Been trying to get my head wrapped around a program to make a good blueprint myself. [emoji30]

I'm biased of course, but you may want to consider getting this modeled and 3d print it. That also allows you to add all ofthe channels for electronics, mechanisms, etc. beforehand. (y)

Not trying to start a war here, but I would highly advise not contracting someone to model this and then print it. You will be taking someone else's vision of the prop and then manufacturing it. If you're doing it purely for a business, or for simply for the final product, it's not a bad way to go. If you're doing it for your profile and for your own satisfaction don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. Also, all of the techniques you learn from scratch building carry over to cleaning up prints and other ventures in the future. Channels, moving parts, and lighting can be done on a traditional build as well.

Not trying to start a war here, but I would highly advise not contracting someone to model this and then print it. You will be taking someone else's vision of the prop and then manufacturing it. If you're doing it purely for a business, or for simply for the final product, it's not a bad way to go. If you're doing it for your profile and for your own satisfaction don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. Also, all of the techniques you learn from scratch building carry over to cleaning up prints and other ventures in the future. Channels, moving parts, and lighting can be done on a traditional build as well.

I agree. This is totally going to be a learning experience for me and I want to hit those bumps in the road and figure out how to fix them. Thats the only way I'm going to learn to get better at this. Contracting a 3d printer would probably end up with a cleaner more refined end product but I want the personal satisfaction of completing this.

That being said I'm still always open to suggestions from the more experienced casting and modeling gurus on this site! :)

- - - Updated - - -

having a background in the adobe suite made a huge difference for sure. Illustrator is a great tool for making blueprints once you have solid reference material of course

Contracting a 3d printer would probably end up with a cleaner more refined end product but I want the personal satisfaction of completing this.

That being said I'm still always open to suggestions from the more experienced casting and modeling gurus on this site! :)

- - - Updated - - -

having a background in the adobe suite made a huge difference for sure. Illustrator is a great tool for making blueprints once you have solid reference material of course

Your mileage will vary, but I've seen beginners scratch build things cleaner than a beginner modeling and finishing a print with an FDM printer. Anyways, I want to see this build go well because I love the year one pulse rifles. They were terrible in game so no one payed any attention to them sadly. I personally love "bad seed down"

Here's how I do my blueprints. No need for any programs except to scale your images. Luckily video game stuff is relatively easy to find screen shots for.

04techniques1.jpg05techniques2.jpg

Your mileage will vary, but I've seen beginners scratch build things cleaner than a beginner modeling and finishing a print with an FDM printer. Anyways, I want to see this build go well because I love the year one pulse rifles. They were terrible in game so no one payed any attention to them sadly. I personally love "bad seed down"

Here's how I do my blueprints. No need for any programs except to scale your images. Luckily video game stuff is relatively easy to find screen shots for.

View attachment 687416View attachment 687417

thats how i did my gjallarhorn, and my byronic hero

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back