Destiny Ghost styrene build-Prototype stage

Wes R

Legendary Member
I recently got the Ghost edition of the game and decided I wanted some custom ghosts to go with a Destiny journal i'm doing as a paper prop, problem was the 3d printed ones are a bit out of my price range for multiple ones so I decided to go with styrene. I have to admit i cheated a bit and traces the shapes onto card stock as templates but as it turns out they're actually slighly bigger than the original ghost and make an interesting shell which got me also thinking into sort of interchangeable armor to put over the Ghost edition prop to change the looks.
They're not going to be canon by any stretch of the imagination but as the game states Ghosts can adapt themselves at will so who is to say they would look like all the other ones in game. Getting this part right is the big concern then i'll go on to modify them with bits and bobs later on. I'm using .60 sheet styrene and this prototype i did a quick cut and glue to work out template issues more than anything. Turns out I didn't leave enough extra material for good glue adhesion so i have to add a tiny big of extra to some parts of the templates. The hard part is going to be figuring out the ball in the center and if i want to make the back rotate and/or the eye move. I'd like to have the other parts move like they do in game when it talks and moves but that's way past my skill level. Actually cutting styrene is past my skill level so i'm rather amazed they turned out this well lol.
DSCN0061.JPGDSCN0082.JPGDSCN0079.JPGDSCN0078.JPGDSCN0077.JPGDSCN0076.JPGDSCN0075.JPGDSCN0068.JPGDSCN0067.JPGDSCN0083.JPG

As you can see in the last picture there are still some issues with the gaps and such but once i tinker a bit more and take my time with the next version i think i should get the kinks worked out and actually if i were to go with just a shell to fit over the prop I would probably connect each part with a piece of styrene and have it look like it's part of a decoration. The fit snugger than i figured they would. In the last photo i put it on the back as the front has those square LED holders.

Deceptively complicated shape. Or is it just 8 of the same thing?

If it's eight identical 'pyramids,' you could make one nice one and cast it.

...You know, since your ghosts are going to be 'actual size,' you could put this in the Props forum.

They're all the same shape actually, i was thinking of molding and casting them and going from there. I like the shell idea to fit over the props too but not sure i'd be good at casting a hollowed out piece like that. Actually the only reason i put them on the prop was i couldn't get the things to stand up at the right angle so it was a happy accident. Still considering how my other projects tend to turn out I'm counting this one as a success for not falling apart within ten minutes lol

I'm going to keep tinkering with the prototype until i'm sure i can do it right, who knows maybe i can polish it a bit. Have to take the sander to it and try and even things. Even if it's a bit smaller in the end. I wasn't even thinking this could be a prop since it was made of styrene. Still working on figuring out the ball in the center. Honestly a tie-fighter center ball would work but i can't afford that many kids and it'd have to be the Vader prototype to be the right size i think. Have to try and find a plastic ball to gut and cast.

I'm not sure it's pretty big, i was thinking maybe a handball. Come to think of it there may be one around here i'll take a look at. I could probably cheat and just cast the ends of the ball for the round parts and use cheap pvc pipe in the center. I'll have to find that ball tonight or tomorrow. Actually to test the size i could even go with a tennis ball that's floating around. Now i wish i'd bought more xmas ornaments on mark down.

I usually have some on hand because you never know when you need a round shape, just have to get the right size. Didn't do much today other than sanding these parts, i figured i'm going to try and finish this up to make sure the bugs are out. I did manage to give myself a sore throat and fill the house with burnt paper smell trying to age my character diary. http://www.therpf.com/f9/destiny-game-character-journal-233585/

Not much of an update at the moment, remade my templates and added extra overhang material. I figure it's easier to remove it than to add it back. Also going to leave some overhang on at least one where the eye part is to make it look menacing. Turns out walmart.com had a good deal on the styrene i needed with free shipping. Not as good as amazon but 6.00 shipping for 8 sheets verse 6 sheets for free was a no brainer. Also ordered 420 LEDs of various sizes and colors, a bit overboard but the price was right lol.

I did end up testing the parts i made on a blue handball to try and size out the central orb but it didn't seem right but i'll have to wait until i get the new parts done. Also thinking of if i should try using clear dowels to let the various parts slide out and apart like when Ghost is scanning or to just use magnets to let the back spin.

Some photos: I'm thinking of just making one generic back setup for this thing that can be customized and just doing custom fronts. It's hell cutting and sanding. Here's some new parts: i actually tried to cut them with extra on top of the extra to trim later, that way i can sand the parts down to the pencil line. I also cut a few extra just in case.DSCN0121.JPGDSCN0118.JPGDSCN0119.JPGDSCN0120.JPG

Last edited:
Great work on the Ghost, if I could stop playing Destiny long enough (when I get the time) I'd be much further along with my current models and yet the urge to build one of the ships from Destiny is still there lol, looking forward to seeing this completed!!!

The problem with Destiny is there's not that much reference out there. I got lucky and found a model sheet of sorts for the ghost but figured i'll do my own twist on it. I need to come up with a sanding rig to get the parts sized down a bit, problem is i hate using power tools as it melts the styrene but this stuff is so thick that sand paper is just clogging. I got lucky and found some pics for reference of the Sparrows online after trying to find some and trying to get pictures while gaming. I'm thinking of making one standardized front for these along with the back and just cast the parts and add greebles after. Really the Ghosts all look the same other than paint jobs anyhow.

Well the new try is looking way better than the last one, still not totally even parts. Sanding it is a pain. That part in the front where the two meet up at the angle is going to be the worst part to match up.DSCN0127.JPGDSCN0129.JPGDSCN0128.JPG

Last edited:
I just had a revelation: the orb in the prop is not perfectly round. So i'm not sure if i'm going to go with a full orb or not because it's a royal pain to figure out the size, the exposed parts are 11/2" so i may just buy an orb that size and make the ends and go from there. I'm no engineer so aside from the rotating back these won't be fancy, though i may modify the bases to hold the main electronics.
Well got 4 fronts nearly done, they're still not all identical but i figure if i just cast the same one multiple times they'll all match lol. I don't have the temperament to keep fussing with it until they're perfect and i figure as long as they all look the same nobody will notice. I still have enough precut tops for the back parts too so hopefully with a few more cuts i'll be ready to go. I got the light switches in for the bases and am going to order some more battery holders in a few days thanks to a late xmas gift.
DSCN0134.JPG

Last edited:
Came up with the size i needed for the central orb, i was waaaay off compared to the model they did. to put the real orb inside it has to be about the size of a baseball. I bought some molds on ebay that are for making 2" ice balls for drinks and figure i can always add to it with material if needed plus it gives room for adjustment. i'm going to plan out plugs for in the molds so i can cast them hollow in 2 parts since the molds are 2 part and make 4 at a time plus i bought a 2.5" one that is silicon.

Tiny update: i've been working on figuring out the winglets that have the gap in them and finally decided to cheat and turn 4 into 2 by splitting one down the middle and mounting it to another. As for the center part i think i'll make the sides and glue 3 together and set it in the center and then angle the other part. Not sure how well it'll work but we'll see.DSCN0146.JPG

No real updates at the moment, remodeling my room so things kinda fell by the side but i did buy some casting supplies so i can get one part to look perfect and just reproduce it. Also got a 3" wooden ball bigger than a baseball to serve as the center area. I'm going to mold that and the make the inserts for the outter parts and to make it hollow. I knew all my empty pill bottles would come in handy lol

I guess I'm lost.. if the Ghost is the size of ones palm or slightly larger (hand size being a relative thing here. I measured mine and from Pinky tip to Thumb hand wide open it's almost 10" So let's say average grown Adult Male) Wouldn't the eye be about the size of a golf ball or slightly larger? Wal-Mart would easily have a toy ball or something of the sort to use..

Tons of references out there.. Here's a neat one http://unknownemerald.deviantart.com/art/Destiny-Prop-Ghost-467302212 and others
https://www.google.com/search?q=des...=isch&q=bungie+destiny+ghost&revid=1317945521

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back