Denver Wilcox TOS Captain's Chair Buyer Beware

Don Gaffney and I are out $1000 . Denver Debo Wilcox is a scammer!!

Sorry that you got scammed, and I'm sure your warning was meant to protect other members, but posting accusations on here without some sort of explanation or proof is generally frowned upon. What happened?

TazMan2000

I didn't intend to make baseless accusations. I only intend to protect other interested in buying a TOS Captain's Chair from Denver Wilcox. He has posted here before. His work looks fantastic. I found him on eBay last September selling a good looking replica chair. I did some research here and other places and then contacted him about an order. Put $500 down being told this would be a three to four week project. He reported some delays which ran into December and at which time he asked for the remaining $500 saying that the chair was finished and ready to ship. While he would never give me shipping details, he said chair was shipped but somehow was delayed because he sent the chair to the wrong address and the chair was sent back to him. After repeated attempts to obtain a shipping date and repeated excuses varying from being injured and in the hospital to trying to find another shipping company to simply ignoring my communications, I discovered Don Gaffney through a FB Props and Costumes page. He too had made an order with Denver and he too hasn't received the chair and experienced similar issues and dissatisfaction. The last straw happened last night when, after several attempt to reach Denver, we both discovered he'd unfriended us on FB with no further info about our orders. We both then went public. Oddly enough, that's when Denver responded to us both. We've asked, yet again, for refunds. He claims he will now send a refund. I await that with anticipation, 8 months later. I offer this only so others will not be potentially scammed.

I may have been scammed too. His phone number is disconnected and he won't reply to any emails. Does anyone have any information what's going on? I spoke to him in May when this post was originally made, but nothing since then. I'm out my deposit.

As a follow-up. I have neither received anything from Denver Wilcox be it refund or chair. After countless attempts to contact him, I've given up. Think he just got in way over his head. Based upon my experience, I would not recommend dealing with him.

Right off the bat I'm thinking Wire Fraud, Theft by Deception, and/or Grand Larceny charges could be pursued. If this guy has a history of jerking people around and not fulfilling his commitments even after being paid in full for the chair.

I'm all for people getting the benefit of the doubt with a reasonable explanation, but I'm also all for nailing people to the wall that take people's money and then in effect **** them without even kissing them first. :angry

I am legally going after Denver Debo Wilcox...........he stole from me and thieves belong in jail

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,

I am new to this site, but not so new to Mr. Denver Wilcox. I'm out $500 with regard to a chair he promised me sometime ago, before he up and disappeared. After repeated attempts to contact him, I found him on Facebook (since gone again) as well as his place of employment. Again, my attempts to contact were unsuccessful, and now he is off FB and may no longer work at that business.

I'm interested in seeing if you did pursue a case against him, as I am looking into this myself, if only a civil case. If nothing else it might complicate his life by allowing me to place liens on his future endeavors (or collect info and have him arrested, but my guess there is that this is a 'victimless' crime and the cops have better things to do than chase down a white-collar thief, but I dunno).

Please let me know how your situation has turned out, as I am preparing to move forward with mine.

Regards,
Bryce

I am out $600 on a chair too as posted earlier. I am an attorney. If everyone who was scammed by him contacts me I think we can go together to the D.A. Where he is located and have him prosecuted.

I can have my PI find him with no problem. It wasn't worth the time by myself, but since there are not more of us, then it will be worth the time and effort.

Rick

Hey Rick,

How about we get together and pursue this? AFAIK, he is still there in the Palm Spring area, and he is probably continuing to rip people off.

Regards,
Bryce

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back