Denix Mauser Paint?

iBuster08

Hi guys,

So I was wondering, how should I go about painting my denix mauser? If you're wondering, it is for a han solo esb conversion I am working on. Do I sand off all the paint? Should I disassemble it? If so, how do I go about disasembling? Please help!

Thanks for your time!

If it were me I would take it apart. But make sure you snap a few pics while dissembling the piece so if you need reference while putting it back together. You could strip the paint off if you were going to try and blue it or use patina but for a solo blaster you really don't need to. I've done both. But I would use a scotch pad scrub over all of the parts, prime them then paint! Thats usually how I go about it. Good luck!

I have done a few so far and this is what I would recommend.

Strip it down to its pieces, clean it with denatured alcohol to get the coating off it, then use a dremel and a wire brush to smooth it out, wipe down again, then prime and paint.

I had a tutorial on my site about this made by another board member, but the link is bad now :-(

Wow, thanks so much! You're a great help! makes my life soo much easier! And by 'its pieces, i assume you mean the top barrel and the bottom 'chassis', right? If so, I have done just that.

The important thing is to get the grease off. Denatured alcohol, Simple Green, or the like. And then get THAT off. :lol

My personal choice is not to bother stripping off the original paint. It gives character to your weathering job to have a different shade of paint under your new coat. If you choose to prime, use one that's black. For topcoat I like satin black, and sometimes I might mist a little gunmetal over that, and mist more black over as needed.

There was a member who swore by using Rustoleum (I think) high temp spraypaint intended for barbeques. His stuff did indeed look good.

I don't think breaking it down is necessary.

So i used a fine grain sandpaper to get the majority of the paint off. It came off shockingly easily! When i clean it with denatured alcohol, i only clean the exterior, not the interior, right? And thanks for the tips on the paint!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back