Denix DL-44 Upgrades to Purchased Builds

Starchaser

I am new to customizing although a frequent prowler of everyone’s awesome work here on the RPF. Taking my first step into a larger world by taking some already awesome DL-44 builds purchased from some real talented builders and trying to make them that little bit more movie accurate and to get some experience modifying these Denix models before starting one from scratch. I have no machine shop so I will be using hand tools, electric drill and my favorite tool of all.......the Dremel.

Firstly before I get into the mods I want to give a shout out to all the skilled investigators and builders on this forum, for identifying and sharing latest findings of how the props really looked, sharing latest thoughts and ideas (on some on the blurriest pictures/screen grabs ever) and for detailing to newbies like me how to achieve some of the fantastic looks you get on your builds. I particularly want to give a shout out to Chubs and Doggers directly, since it was after buying my first DL-44 blaster from him and reading his awesome thread on how to achieve some awesome detail, I finally got the confidence to try my hand at this hobby. Also my thanks go to Feildmarshall for offering some great items already machined for new starters like me.

So I will start by saying after seeing Chubs Luke Bespin Blaster he built for me with all the cool modifications to the original Denix base, I was determined to have any future DL44’s in my collection have the same great features. My first attempt to upgrade came today, when I took a prized ANH blaster I purchased from Todd’s Costumes and dismantled it for upgrades. Being new and slightly scared I didn’t break the whole thing down as far trigger mechanism etc and left all that in place while I did the work.

So after dissassembly, here is what I did:
1) Swapped out the basic Denix receiver (Slider/bolt) with a fieldmarshall one that had the extractor detail pre-milled into it. (Stripped from one of his base offerings)
2) Used Chubs and Doggers suggestion of using course grit sanding paper to grind down the sight mount holes (used my trusty dremmel for this) and then countersunk the holes.
3) Ground down the movable sight to a flat where it attaches to the barrel section
4) Used a cutting disk to remove the threaded Denix grip mounts on both sides of the handle. Rather than remove the whole center section like a lot do, I wanted to see if this trick would still allow DEC wooden grips to fit. If not I will remove that whole center section. I also drilled a larger whole in the center section to accept the DEC supplied grip screw.
5) I ground the front of the pistol base (where the screw secures the barrel section to the pistol base). I was worried that I would not be able to replicate the great heat sink detail Todd had achieved so very carefully ground around that. A few hairy moments where I slipped, but no big chunks were taken out.
6) Ground the hammer inside flat so it would sit flatter on the firing pin and also ground the trigger to take some of the Denix thickness away. Again, I did this without stripping the trigger/hammer assembly down and being real careful.
7) Finally, I tried my hand using Chubs excellent mag plate stencil (out there on Shapeways), and this is where I didn’t do to well unfortunately. From the picture you will see I ended up with quite a thick line and it didn’t really give me the separation I wanted from the mag button placement. Nothing to do with the template, more to do with me slipping while trying to keep consistent pressure and angle with the engraving bit. Used a dremmel for this. Finished off drilling a center hole and countersinking with a drill.

So, here are the pics showing the pieces that I worked on. Next step will be using “Aluminum Black” to see if this will give a good coloring to the ground parts. If not I will need to paint. (Oh I hope I don’t have to paint as I have recked other hobbies with my terrible spray painting skills).

E84DFAB7-17F0-4AF6-A281-B8CA1E8DD9C8.jpegDB6B7563-C565-4FD6-A054-3360F7745641.jpeg95804DFB-C8FD-4619-9757-3E837A62ACF2.jpegC9CE3A0D-2991-4A88-A2C2-3ABC83984578.jpegE02E9851-8232-457F-B271-9F5FC26D7751.jpeg6AA4A584-501B-437C-AD95-EA4362E57858.jpeg4A90CF60-D0AA-485F-977E-3404C7EAC970.jpeg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back