Demon with a Glass Hand

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

eaviii

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I come back to this now and again- Has anyone ever made the hand or know it's construction? The only model kits I have seen were of 1/6 scale of Mr Trent and never a 1:1 of the hand-
I have looked for info as to the originals whereabouts or how it was made/lit to no avail-

[image]http://television.westumulka.com/outerlimits/images/culp.jpg[/image]

Doc

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

hydin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
i tried a few years ago to see what info i could dig up.

found squat.

it is an awesome piece, and i would love one for the collection, but as to how it was made or even where to start... im lost.

last i heard m night shaylywhatever was making it into a movie.
chris

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You'd probably have to make it like the Star Trek "Cage" Communicator... electronics parts encased in clear resin.

I can grab off the disc if somebody thinks they're up for trying a replica. :)

- k

hydin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
i wouldnt mind the disc caps.

if you dont mind, get me a number, season, whatever for the dvd. ill add it to my netflix que and just move it towards the top. i guess i can put off watching guyver 2 for a week or so ;)

chris

eaviii

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Very cool- I have the DVDs and can probably pull some screen caps tomorrow-
There must be a production log somewhere- I have seen some of the other OL props in Bob Burns' collection I think- Maybe From "Do Not Open 'til Doomsday" but I have never seen a collection photo of the hand-

Doc

mez7

Sr Member
Originally posted by hydin@Dec 31 2005, 05:42 AM
last i heard m night shaylywhatever was making it into a movie.
chris
[snapback]1147353[/snapback]​
dont know where you heard that, hes making a movie called lady in the water with bryce dallas and paul giamati right now,
for him it would be wierd for him to work on something else while hes in the middle of production :p with how hes worked in the past, he does one at a time then takes some time off to think about his next one,

so i would suspect that info as being false......

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

(edit: added some new grabs and deleted a few that were redundant)

OK here we go. This is actually a fascinating prop. It was probably made by Wah Chang's "Project Unlimited" shop, which also did the props for Star Trek TOS.

In fact the hand bears a striking resemblance to the communicator props made for the pilot episode of Star Trek. Both props have electronic components suspended in clear resin.

Note on the back of the "hand", you can see five lights, which blink randomly while the "hand" is operating. These lights seem to have a bezel at the base and look quite similar to the row of three "jewels" on the face of the black Kydex flip-communcator prop used during the production of Star Trek (a prop also built by Wah Chang).

The hand is lit by a main light down in the arm (beneath the ribbed sleeve), and also has the aforementioned five blinkers.

Four of the fingers are removable and plug into sockets in the knuckles on the palm of the hand. The thumb may or may not be molded-in; Trent has the thrumb already attached when the show begins (tho in the grabs it does look like the thumb has a cut around and a ball joint inside, so perhaps it is removable).

A key function of the prop is that once all fingers are assembled, the middle three fingers can be pushed together, and rotated back towards the back of the hand. This seems to have been accomplished with ball joints embedded in base of the fingers.

Palm view

Good view of the back of the hand and the "arm" in this one

Another significant prop in the show is this gold medallion, which when yanked off the neck will catapult the victim back where he came from, 1,000 years in the future.

Prop Runner

Sr Member
Wow, great thread and great prop. :D

When I first saw that episode, I was all like: "damn, that's the Bradbury Building where they filmed Blade Runner."

And then I thought: "damn, James Cameron probably got his idea for The Terminator from this episode." :confused

Turns out I was right on both counts, or at least right on the first and allegedly right on the second, when I did a little follow-up research:

From IMDB:

Science fiction author Harlan Ellison sued Cameron, claiming that the film was plagiarized from the two "The Outer Limits" (1963) episodes that Ellison wrote, namely "Soldier" and "Demon With a Glass Hand". The concept of "Skynet" could also have been borrowed from an Ellison short story called "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream". The suit was settled out of court and newer prints of the film acknowledge Ellison.
Many of you probably already know this, but I thought I'd post it for the youngsters who haven't seen it yet... ;)

- Gabe

Lupus Yonderboy

Wohoo, brilliant topic Doc.
I was actually thinking about the Glass Hand again just before Christmas :)
Thanks for posting the pics Karl.
I have neither the skill nor the time necessary to do this myself but would definitely be interested.
Interesting times for (replica) props... and there still are so very many cool things left to replicate :)
Pontus

Lawgiver

A couple quick observations,

The center black round section is an old Carbon Transmitter Element, from what is probably a AT&T phone as the earlier Bell phones had a black backing.
[attachmentid=5741]
[attachmentid=5742]

The holes in the fingers and the hand appear straight and I donÂ’t see any slots or grooves for the fingers to rotate back. Is it possible the connecting rod was a flexible material that allowed for this function? The construction doesnÂ’t appear too complex possibly they were just loose enough to allow this movement if the fingers were not fully inserted.

LG

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Good observation LG. :D

On the finger-articulation, it does seem like the sockets where the fingers click in, are kind of far back towards the back of the hand (not in the center of the finger), so the fingers have got clearance to rotate back.

edit: OK problem solved... in this closeup of a finger, you can see the BALL JOINT is built into the finger. And with the angled cut of the end where it mates to the hand, and the off-center placement of the joint, I guess the same prop could have attachable fingers, and rotate back.

Note ball joint in this shot:

Fingers rotated back:

(edit: additional closeup of finger added)

- k

Lawgiver

Originally posted by phase pistol@Dec 31 2005, 06:21 PM
edit: OK problem solved... in this closeup of a finger, you can see the BALL JOINT is built into the finger. And with the angled cut of the end where it mates to the hand, and the off-center placement of the joint, I guess the same prop could have attachable fingers, and rotate back.

- k
[snapback]1147565[/snapback]​
There it is, good ol ball joint.... Nice work Phase.

Krel

Sr Member
Originally posted by Prop Runner@Dec 31 2005, 03:06 AM

And then I thought: "damn, James Cameron probably got his idea for The Terminator from this episode."  :confused

Turns out I was right on both counts, or at least right on the first and allegedly right on the second, when I did a little follow-up research:

From IMDB:

Science fiction author Harlan Ellison sued Cameron, claiming that the film was plagiarized from the two "The Outer Limits" (1963) episodes that Ellison wrote, namely "Soldier" and "Demon With a Glass Hand". The concept of "Skynet" could also have been borrowed from an Ellison short story called "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream". The suit was settled out of court and newer prints of the film acknowledge Ellison.
Many of you probably already know this, but I thought I'd post it for the youngsters who haven't seen it yet... ;)

- Gabe
[snapback]1147421[/snapback]​

I never bought that argument, Ellison's main point was the Police station scenes, as he had Police station scenes in 'Soldier". But if you have someone shooting up the town, then the Police are going to get involved.

I read in a magazine back in the nineties an article where someone (I don't remember who) said that Cameron really got the idea when he was working for a company that was trying to do a movie version of P. K. Dick's story "Second Variety", made as "Screamers" in the nineties. There is suppose to be a sequel to the story where they send a soldier back in time to kill the man that created the robots. This he claimed was Cameron's inspiration.

Ellison was suppose to write a script for B5 about Trent, Robert Culp was even to star in it. But then Ellison was injured in the earthquake, and the story never happened. To bad, I would really have liked to see it. But then there seems to be alot of bad luck involving Mr. Trent. They were suppose to do a "Demon With A Glass Hand" movie in the eighties, but it never happened either.

David.

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Moving on to the twin discs below the telephone speaker... these have little holes in the center, like a hub for something. I guess they could be almost anything, but I wonder if they might be parts from a tape recorder of some kind.

- k

hydin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
could just be metal washers as well....

nice to see this coming along :)

chris

eaviii

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Wow guys. Karl, fantastic screen caps and on the ball joint and, LG, amazing observation on the phone part- Very cool- The little discs look a bit like some inner watch plates- Wristwatch size (not a moving part but a backplate)- Are they scalloped on one side?

Really cool guys- This is easily one of my favorite science fiction stories of all time and I am overjoyed at the shared interest.

Doc

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Interesting theory but I don't notice any "scalloping" on the metal discs. There does seem to be a central hub or nipple, more visible on one side than the other.

On the finger joint, I found an even clearer closeup, posted above.

- k

hydin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
le bump.

this is one project i would like someone to tackle, just so i can see it done sometime before i die :)

chris