Demon with a Glass Hand

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by eaviii, Dec 30, 2005.

1. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I come back to this now and again- Has anyone ever made the hand or know it's construction? The only model kits I have seen were of 1/6 scale of Mr Trent and never a 1:1 of the hand-
    I have looked for info as to the originals whereabouts or how it was made/lit to no avail-

[image]http://television.westumulka.com/outerlimits/images/culp.jpg[/image]

Doc

2. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i tried a few years ago to see what info i could dig up.

found squat.

it is an awesome piece, and i would love one for the collection, but as to how it was made or even where to start... im lost.

last i heard m night shaylywhatever was making it into a movie.
    chris

3. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You'd probably have to make it like the Star Trek "Cage" Communicator... electronics parts encased in clear resin.

I can grab off the disc if somebody thinks they're up for trying a replica. :)

- k

4. hydin

i wouldnt mind the disc caps.

if you dont mind, get me a number, season, whatever for the dvd. ill add it to my netflix que and just move it towards the top. i guess i can put off watching guyver 2 for a week or so ;)

chris

5. phase pistol

It's on disc 1 of Season 2.

6. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Classic fantastic episode. I hope to see the replica done.

7. eaviii

Very cool- I have the DVDs and can probably pull some screen caps tomorrow-
    There must be a production log somewhere- I have seen some of the other OL props in Bob Burns' collection I think- Maybe From "Do Not Open 'til Doomsday" but I have never seen a collection photo of the hand-

Doc

8. mez7

mez7 Sr Member

dont know where you heard that, hes making a movie called lady in the water with bryce dallas and paul giamati right now,
    for him it would be wierd for him to work on something else while hes in the middle of production :p with how hes worked in the past, he does one at a time then takes some time off to think about his next one,

so i would suspect that info as being false......

9. phase pistol

[​IMG]

(edit: added some new grabs and deleted a few that were redundant)

OK here we go. This is actually a fascinating prop. It was probably made by Wah Chang's "Project Unlimited" shop, which also did the props for Star Trek TOS.

In fact the hand bears a striking resemblance to the communicator props made for the pilot episode of Star Trek. Both props have electronic components suspended in clear resin.

Note on the back of the "hand", you can see five lights, which blink randomly while the "hand" is operating. These lights seem to have a bezel at the base and look quite similar to the row of three "jewels" on the face of the black Kydex flip-communcator prop used during the production of Star Trek (a prop also built by Wah Chang).

The hand is lit by a main light down in the arm (beneath the ribbed sleeve), and also has the aforementioned five blinkers.

Four of the fingers are removable and plug into sockets in the knuckles on the palm of the hand. The thumb may or may not be molded-in; Trent has the thrumb already attached when the show begins (tho in the grabs it does look like the thumb has a cut around and a ball joint inside, so perhaps it is removable).

A key function of the prop is that once all fingers are assembled, the middle three fingers can be pushed together, and rotated back towards the back of the hand. This seems to have been accomplished with ball joints embedded in base of the fingers.

Palm view
    [​IMG]

Good view of the back of the hand and the "arm" in this one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another significant prop in the show is this gold medallion, which when yanked off the neck will catapult the victim back where he came from, 1,000 years in the future.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Wow, great thread and great prop. :D

When I first saw that episode, I was all like: "*, that's the Bradbury Building where they filmed Blade Runner."

And then I thought: "*, James Cameron probably got his idea for The Terminator from this episode." :confused

Turns out I was right on both counts, or at least right on the first and allegedly right on the second, when I did a little follow-up research:

From IMDB:

Many of you probably already know this, but I thought I'd post it for the youngsters who haven't seen it yet... ;)

- Gabe

11. Lupus Yonderboy

Lupus Yonderboy Well-Known Member

Wohoo, brilliant topic Doc.
    I was actually thinking about the Glass Hand again just before Christmas :)
    Thanks for posting the pics Karl.
    I have neither the skill nor the time necessary to do this myself but would definitely be interested.
    Interesting times for (replica) props... and there still are so very many cool things left to replicate :)
    Pontus

12. Lawgiver

Lawgiver Well-Known Member

A couple quick observations,

The center black round section is an old Carbon Transmitter Element, from what is probably a AT&T phone as the earlier Bell phones had a black backing.
    [attachmentid=5741]
    [attachmentid=5742]

The holes in the fingers and the hand appear straight and I donÂ’t see any slots or grooves for the fingers to rotate back. Is it possible the connecting rod was a flexible material that allowed for this function? The construction doesnÂ’t appear too complex possibly they were just loose enough to allow this movement if the fingers were not fully inserted.

LG

13. phase pistol

Good observation LG. :D

On the finger-articulation, it does seem like the sockets where the fingers click in, are kind of far back towards the back of the hand (not in the center of the finger), so the fingers have got clearance to rotate back.

[​IMG]

edit: OK problem solved... in this closeup of a finger, you can see the BALL JOINT is built into the finger. And with the angled cut of the end where it mates to the hand, and the off-center placement of the joint, I guess the same prop could have attachable fingers, and rotate back.

[​IMG]

Note ball joint in this shot:
    [​IMG]

Fingers rotated back:
    [​IMG]

(edit: additional closeup of finger added)

- k

14. Lawgiver

Lawgiver Well-Known Member

There it is, good ol ball joint.... Nice work Phase.

15. Krel

Krel Sr Member

16. phase pistol

Moving on to the twin discs below the telephone speaker... these have little holes in the center, like a hub for something. I guess they could be almost anything, but I wonder if they might be parts from a tape recorder of some kind.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- k

17. hydin

could just be metal washers as well....

nice to see this coming along :)

chris

18. eaviii

Wow guys. Karl, fantastic screen caps and on the ball joint and, LG, amazing observation on the phone part- Very cool- The little discs look a bit like some inner watch plates- Wristwatch size (not a moving part but a backplate)- Are they scalloped on one side?

Really cool guys- This is easily one of my favorite science fiction stories of all time and I am overjoyed at the shared interest.

Doc

19. phase pistol

Interesting theory but I don't notice any "scalloping" on the metal discs. There does seem to be a central hub or nipple, more visible on one side than the other.

On the finger joint, I found an even clearer closeup, posted above.

- k

20. hydin

le bump.

this is one project i would like someone to tackle, just so i can see it done sometime before i die :)

chris

21. Lupus Yonderboy

Lupus Yonderboy Well-Known Member

This deserves another bump<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hydin @ Mar 21 2006, 02:19 AM) [snapback]1209718[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto.

/Pontus

22. cloudborn

cloudborn Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just following up on this thread...did anyone ever make a replica of the glass hand?

Demon with a Glass Hand was also one of my all-time favorite Outer Limits episodes...sure would love to see this prop recreated.

23. eaviii

Well, for the sake of mankind in its struggle with the Kyben . . .

BUMP

24. Straycatt

Straycatt Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For lack of a better name, could the disks be "clicker" disks??? What I referring to is a small metal concave disk that is deformable, but snaps back to it's original shape with an audible click. I seem to recall they were used in toys in the early 70's.... Does anyone know what I am talking about??

-Adam

25. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

Karl - Email sent

26. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

I'd love to see this completed, it's an awesome prop. Even as a forum youngster (22 years old) I can appreciate good sci-fi and Demon with a Glass Hand is one of the better Outer Limits episodes. If only Twilight Zone had more interesting sci-fi props...

27. CaptCBoard

CaptCBoard Well-Known Member

Adam-- Those were called 'Bi-metal Disks'. Thin sandwich of two metals that had very diffferent expansion coefficients. The disk was slightly concave and if you flexed it, pushing it 'inside out', the temperature would effect the metal such that it would snap back to its original shape and by doing so jump into the air (if it was on a hard surface). I have no idea if these disks were used in the prop.

Scott

28. phase pistol

I am not... complete. I could help you better if I was... complete. :sleep

29. Straycatt

Straycatt Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Scott,

That is exactly what I was talking about, and the first thing I thought of when I looked at the disks....

-Adam

30. BrianM

BrianM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What a great project. Is somebody actually going to try and tackle this?

BrianM

31. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

Over the past week-end, I decided to - try my Hand! (pun-me)
    In Plain (Thunderbird) English: The Glass Hand Prop is GO!
    Re: a Kit - We'll see! %-)
    I just won an Ebay auction for the 1st part!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  32. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

Offering a Glass Hand Prop to collectors is more probable now, ...because I just locked-down an unlimited source for the speaker-part - that is an Exact Match of the type used in the hero-hand!

33. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

That is unbelievably cool, good find!

34. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

just watched it on you tube. not bad

had a laugh out loud moment when she said she loved him:rolleyes

gonna try those karate chops next time i get in a fight, they seem pretty effective

-z

35. phase pistol

Sweet! :thumbsup

36. phase pistol

They always worked for Shatner! :rolleyes

Trivia note: actress Arlene Martel, who plays Consuelo in "Glass Hand", also plays "T'Pring" (Spock's wife) in the Star Trek TOS episode "Amok Time"!

The Bradbury building in Los Angeles is the scene for the action of the episode... the same building was featured "Blade Runner".

37. hydin

Sweet!!!! This is one of those things I have always wanted to get, but never found any time to make, or anyone else who made em.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread :). Can't wait to see what you come up with on it.

Chris

38. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

The Ebay find was just to get me in the ball park for size & shapes, with-in 48 hrs of searching I found the telephone-part Co. who had the real deal in stock. I discussed this project with my casting vendor who sez he can deliver the goods = clear castings that encase the various parts with little to No visible bubbles. I'm going to spend the next few weeks collecting ref-pics & do a few test-castings. I will post pics of the build progress - if there is interest in the process itself.

If anyone has the Outer Limits DVD set (with this episode) please PM me. I sure could use a burn of it!

Also, my electronic skills (for lighting) are a tad rusty, so if anyone who could lend a hand... (pun me)

As a matter of fact, if this Prop were to be stand mounted - getting the speaker to voice-quote the Hand - would take this prop Over the Top!

Oooops! I'm Over Thinking. My Apologies! I'm getting myself worked-up for the build...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  39. hydin

Have you given thought to where to "stop" the glass hand? In the show it looks like the entire forearm might be that way, there is even a little "wrist" joint showing near the bottom of the hand for it to "flex" forward and backwards..

I agree that a fully balls out version would be awesome. I kinda prefer a silent one myself though. That way I don't have to worry about changing batteries around.

Anyone have any ideas on the glove? We can start batting around ideas for the color and where to find em now, since we have a shot at someone making the hand :)

Personally, I think it's a blue color. Dunno why, but it always struck me as blue.

Chris

40. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool- I would love to get one of these!!

41. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

Early R&D: The prop will most likely include 4 to 5 inches of arm & wrist, with the Hand itself measuring about 7 to 8 inches. Glass Hand / Prop = approx. 12 to 13 inches overall.
    I've started asking Knitters that I know, if they recognize the type of knit/weave on Trent's Sweater - so I can buy one or have it replicated for casting. I'd like to match Trent's Windbreaker too (but that's not crucial).
    I have this neat trick for prep-ing various cloth-textures for mold & resin casting. (more about this, later)
    Re: Color(s) - I will pass this riddle onto my friends in Film industry, who are experienced at deciphering colors from black & white photography.
    Trent's Glove will be made to fit the Glass Hand. This way, the Glove also serves as a dust-cover & a Handy - prop-cozy! :lol

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  42. phase pistol

Trent isn't wearing a sweater exactly... just a button down shirt with a jacket over it. The jacket has ribbing at the wrists and collar.

[​IMG]

43. phase pistol

Demon with a gloved hand.

[​IMG]

44. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

Karl, That's why I love ya! You da Man with da Facts. I was operating on pure recall, regarding: Trent's Sleeve &/or Cuff. Later today, I will finally have enough Free-time to sit & watch the 4 part DwaGH on YouTube. It's been years since I enjoyed watching this! I can't wait!!!

45. Aztek Dummy

Aztek Dummy Well-Known Member

good lord Don't let Harlan find out about this.

46. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

It's Not a model, it's a Passion!

47. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

WoWoW! That was Great! Now to work...

48. phase pistol

So are you gonna include a strand of Wire with the Hand? :D

49. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

I'd like to add a discarded Time-Medallion to the Base!
    Side: A sculptor I know (& agood friend), has just been put on the case:
    to locate a distributer for the ball-joints used on the Fingers.

50. madrobot

madrobot Sr Member

I really want to see this one.